1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

Those tricolor shoes w/ a different sole would make great bowling shoes!

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

They're used and priced at $150. I like the Soho's, but who is going to pay that for a used pair of AE's?

3. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior Member

For me, the 0 last fits my foot the best. So I was willing to pay $150 for an almost new shoe that is discontinued - which I can have re-crafted for years to come.

4. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior Member

5. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior Member

Anybody have experiences with sizing the larchmont, rutledge and flatiron? I know they are on the same last, but I am interested in how they fit in comparison with each other. Sometimes the blucher lacing vs bal makes a huge difference in feel (ie. kenilworth vs strands)

6. PK35216

PK35216 Senior Member

Bose is horrible, too. Seriously, I know much more about speakers than I do dress shoes, and I know a lot about dress shoes now. Bose is crap. AE is awesome.

7. facet

facet Senior Member

My Jeffersons in the wild; they've become my favourite shoe out of my small lot since I received them a couple months back. The leather is much softer compared to my PA's and Parliament, and the leather has a much stronger smell even.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

8. xxerexx

xxerexx New Member

I just picked up the neumoras, bayfields and double eagles from the shoebank. All of the defects I've noticed seem reasonably minor. On one of the neumoras there's a larger gap between the welt and where the toe cap/vamp connect to the sole and the coating on the buckles of both isn't perfect.

The double eagles have a 1/4"-1/2" section on the quarter of both where it was sewn to the tongue. I also don't know if they run a little bit wide or this is also a defect, however I'm able to tighten the laces so that both sides completely touch.

On the bayfields the cap toe is off somewhat on both and there are a few nicks/scuffs. I'm planning to keep all of them as I don't think any of the issues are enough that they will bother me.

On a side note the bayfields are the most comfortable Allen Edmonds I've worn, I don't feel like a break in is needed. Makes me want to buy more nice boots :)

To compare sizing with everyone I've been measured as a 9D by a Nordstorm associate and at another store. Every shoe I've purchased has been in 9D and with the exception of the 2 last shoes (norwich and lombard) they all seem to fit great. I find my recently purchased strands to fit great with little to no discomfort in the first three wearings which included a decent amount of walking.

The norwich and lombard feel a bit tight on the left or right little toe (different for each) though I haven't worn either one more than three or four times. I think I'm going to try to stretch them a bit before continuing to wear them as they're the only shoes that become uncomfortable by the end of the day.

9. scruffy

scruffy Member

Hi there, i'm hoping for some sizing advice....

About to order some Neumoras that are on the 333 last and was wondering how this compares to the 5 last. I have the Strand's and Delray's in a 10D that both fit fine.

Any help is appreciated as i'm ordering from Australia.

Cheers

10. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior Member

Half step down for me on the 333 last. I tried the Neumoras on Saturday. Went with a 9.5D (same as my strands and Neumok) and the toe box was pretty big, and they were noticeably wider. Went to a 9D and they fit perfect. Nice and snug.

If the strands fit your perfect in a 10D, I would suggest going 9.5D.

11. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior Member

Facet... Those Jeffersons are beautiful. Do you know what leather is used? Nappa?

I was amazed at how much softer they were off the shelf a few weeks back, however with those prices, I ended up going shell cord. Since I have the McAllisters already in Merlot, the Rutlidges are on my radar. Absolutely beautiful shoes.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

So, your total investment is $300 for a pair of used AE's where the liner and leather has soaked up someone else's foot sweat? Sorry if I'm being judgmental (don't mean to be), but I just don't get that. For the one that was new in box for $175 (with shipping), I would totally be all over that as the Soho and Evanston are awesome.

13. hohneokc

hohneokc Distinguished Member

New AE's on the website.

New Park Avenue colors - Granite Grey and Walnut Cloud

New McTavish color - dark brown (already shown ealier on this thread)

Players - now in Walnut and Black calf (not sure if that was there before) and the Bitter Chocolate suede is back

Hamptons - now in brown burnished/brown grain and black/black grain

Ridgeway is back

Pierpont - gray / navy saddle

Flagstaff - new casual penny loafer

Parkway - new split toe blucher (black grain is a choice)

I already have the new McTavish color coming to my local menswear/shoe store. I'm also liking the Hampton in burnished brown / brown grain.

Chris

14. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior Member

I don't think you understand. The shoe was maybe worn once. I do not plan on having them re-crafted for quite some time. They should be good to go for several years of good use before needing to be re-crafted.

If the shoe was in bad shape and needed immediate re-crafting, then yes I would tend to agree with you on the price.

15. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior Member

Not feeling the grey Park Avenue, but the walnut cloud is nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.