• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjr4884

Reaction score
I'm looking at a used pair of PA's. The uppers are in great shape, but the soles had topies applied and I have no idea what is acceptable wear with these.

Are these OK, or should I look elsewhere?

I would ask the seller. Personally, anyone who puts a topy on their shoes usually is knowledgeable enough to care properly for their shoes, but I have never seen them with stitching like that before, so that is an eyebrow raiser. Also, when you apply the topy with glue, they have to scuff up the leather a good amount to make it adhere well, so regardless, the soles underneath are not going to be in "great" condition

Personally, I would pass. The only way I would buy AE's used is if I have clear view of the original leather soles, and good, pics of the uppers....

jjr4884

Reaction score
I scanned the last few pages of this thread and haven't seen anybody comment on these eyesores:

etc
In the pursuit of novelty they have completely abandoned taste.

i have been pretending that i haven't seen them, so please excuse my silence lol... when i saw the "nothing wrong with some red, white, and blue" email from them, or whatever it says... i immediately deleted it because i knew the outcome was not going to be good. i was right.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I scanned the last few pages of this thread and haven't seen anybody comment on these eyesores:

etc

they should cease to exist for putting out a shoe like that, even stacy adams isn't that stupid :plain:

SJTM

Reaction score
For all of you first time AE buyers freaking out about your new purchases:

1. Unless your shoe purchase was only to display them in glass case in your home, stop worrying about creases and minor scuffs and dings. Shoes are meant to be worn and will accumulate all of these with time. And you can cover most of this minor damage with polish.

2. Shoes crease in different ways for different people based on the foot, fit, shoe design, etc.

3. If your Strands are too tan or too red, you can adjust this with the polish you use. If I preferred the tan color my Strands arrived in, I would use cognac polish. If I preferred the more reddish tint that is frequently seen in pictures, I would use the walnut polish. You can also alternate to create your own mix.

4. For those of you buying brown shoes. If you want them lightened a bit, use AE's saddle brown polish. If you like them darker, use the dark brown polish.

5. Use AE's conditioner cleaner or Saphir Renovateur before wearing your shoes to help minimize the creasing. Thereafter use these products regularly. For some shoes, I do not use anything but Renovateur.

6. My AE's seem to typically take 8-10 wears before breaking in. Your mileage may vary.
I have a slightly different concern. I have a few pair of AE's that see minimal wear - such as my walnut New Orleans which I wear a couple of times a year. Do you have a treatment regimen for shoes that sit a long time? My guess is leather will dry out if not regularly conditioned , whether worn or not. Thoughts?

jjr4884

Reaction score
I have a slightly different concern. I have a few pair of AE's that see minimal wear - such as my walnut New Orleans which I wear a couple of times a year. Do you have a treatment regimen for shoes that sit a long time? My guess is leather will dry out if not regularly conditioned , whether worn or not. Thoughts?

I would still give them some treatment a bit here and there. I think this is more important for cordovan leather than it is calf, but I would still at least give them some TLC twice a year, and if you don't use them that often, put them in your shoe bags and store away in their box.

Just my $0.02.

jjr4884

Reaction score
so when i stopped in to AE on Saturday to try one those Neumoras, I picked up a few odds and ends. Little did I know, I left the store with only the chili heel and edge dressing. For some reason, I could have sworn I got the brown as well for my cordovan strands... nope. Called up on Sunday, they sent me the brown, as well as a hand written thank you card...

Mr....

Thank you for your business. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

All the best,

Margaret Jackson

lol... a "thank you" card for my $4 order. very impressive.... I have absolutely zero reason to purchase online anymore. I would much rather give my business to the store that has class. Buying from the factory gives no one credit. They will even ship from the store. Obviously they would want the business and I can understand why, however they more than deserve it.

(AE on Newbury on Boston...)

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Soho's in multiple sizes have been put up on eBay by seller "pawhead". I just snagged a 9D Soho in cognac that looks to be in very good condition. The Soho is still my all-time favorite AE shoe and glad to get it in a color that I don't have. Already have it in black and saddle brown.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

etc

+1
And in said pursuit have appeared downright silly.

jjr4884

Reaction score
Soho's in multiple sizes have been put up on eBay by seller "pawhead". I just snagged a 9D Soho in cognac that looks to be in very good condition. The Soho is still my all-time favorite AE shoe and glad to get it in a color that I don't have. Already have it in black and saddle brown.

ya, i have been looking at the 9.5D's from the same selling in cognac... gorgeous shoe. is this on the 0 last? they look identical to the Evanstons, but have a non-brogue upper...

never tried this last on before or else i would be all over them. might have to do a test fitting on that last next time i head up to boston.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
ya, i have been looking at the 9.5D's from the same selling in cognac... gorgeous shoe. is this on the 0 last? they look identical to the Evanstons, but have a non-brogue upper...

never tried this last on before or else i would be all over them. might have to do a test fitting on that last next time i head up to boston.

Yes, they are on the 0 last which is no longer in production, so unfortunately you will not be able to do a test fitting at local AE store. I've found though that the new 333 last is a similar fit to the 0 last, so you may want to do your test fitting in that last.

jjr4884

Reaction score
Yes, they are on the 0 last which is no longer in production, so unfortunately you will not be able to do a test fitting at local AE store. I've found though that the new 333 last is a similar fit to the 0 last, so you may want to do your test fitting in that last.

well if thats the case, looks like a 9D would be appropriate if I had to guess since the Neumoras needed (yet another) .5 step down.

delmar

Reaction score
About the red, white, and blue shoes: I read that AE was inundated with requests for shoes like the one-of-a-kind R,W,&B pair that they made for President Bush. There is a demand for these shoes. I'm thinking about a pair myself. I can see myself strutting into the polls on election day in a pair of these or wearing them on Veterans Day or Independence Day. I predict that many pairs will be sold.

evolved

Reaction score
About the red, white, and blue shoes: I read that AE was inundated with requests for shoes like the one-of-a-kind R,W,&B pair that they made for President Bush. There is a demand for these shoes. I'm thinking about a pair myself. I can see myself strutting into the polls on election day in a pair of these or wearing them on Veterans Day or Independence Day. I predict that many pairs will be sold.

If demand can get these created, surely we can get enough demand/requests for a boot version of the Strand, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics