Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior member

JJR, I used the chili edge dressing just recently on my walnut Strands and they looked fantastic.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

2. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Honestly, the best way to know is to try it out, but it sounds that if the 12B was snug in the toe box, I don't think going down any more would be wise... When i tried on the 9.5D Neumora, not only was it wide, but also very loose in the toe box. A 9D was perfect.

If you shorten the shoe then go up to a C in width, it might be good for you, however you really aren't going to know until you try them on. Going from a 12B to a 11.5B will be too snug if I had to guess, after experiencing the surprisingly noticeable different between a half size down in the same width. I quickly realized that the 9D formed well to my foot, width wise, compared to the 9.5D.

3. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I need to put something in their suggestion box, because the "boot" style I would love to get my hands on cost $1500. They need to make a balmoral boot, preferably cap to with full broqueing, in cordovan #8... i would settle for walnut calf as well. There is a pair of G&G's that i have been drooling over (see here ) however I can't find anything close to those. Alden's are mostly blucher style, and i'm not crazy about the Daltons. Looking forward to seeing what they come out with.
    Good to hear, looking forward to giving them a good polish tonight

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I saw several shoes, including the Park Avenue, in gray leather earlier this year when I met an AE sales rep.

Chris

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

The one I saw earlier this year was called the Long Branch and it was a low boot. Check out this link to Amazon - the Long Branch is in the URL, but nothing on the page yet. I'm guessing August 1 for the release date.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Allen-Edmonds-Long-Branch/dp/images/B008L36R28

Chris

6. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

I like that look, especially with the bar lacing.

Those are in 9E. I can wear a 9D, but the laces wind up spread a bit more and the shoes take longer to break in. I have three pairs of shoes built on that last in 9E, from 8 to 2 years old and they all fit wonderfully.

7. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

Do you size down/ width up on the 5 last?

8. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

9. MOCKBA

MOCKBA Active Member

I am guessing the boot that is coming out in gray leather will be the Kings Point, the second winner from the Parsons design contest. While I would love a boot in gray, I am hoping there will be more than just this option - I just do not care for it.
    [=http://www.allenedmonds.com/parsons][/]

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

As a follow-up on our discussion of how the perfect AE balmoral captoe would be on the 8 last and resemble the Clifton's toe box, I present these vintage Cliftons. I'm lukewarm on the adelaide design in black, but this picture shows everything that's wrong with the Park Avenue's toe.

AE, it's time to bring these (or another 8 last balmoral captoe) back as a timeless classic. Let's get on it.

[​IMG]

11. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I can't try on either one, but will avoid the 11.5B.

-James

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

There was a grey Neumok posted a while back . . .

13. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

New Burgundy Shell MacNeils home from the store.

[​IMG]

Out and about today.
    [​IMG]

14. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I measure on the scale, standing up... 10.75L and 10.25R, to be as specific as possible. I was measured a month ago. I wear a 9.5D on the 5 last. The 3 last that the Neumora is on appears to run even longer and wider than the 5 last since i needed to come down another half size to a 9D.

Edit: Read that wrong... no, I have yet to find a shoe where I have to adjust the width. 9.5D works well for me so far with all of the shoes that I have tried on/purchased. If I ever get a shoe on the 7 last (or any normal fitting, regular width last,) we'll see if i need a C width...

Those are sharp... so they moved the clifton itself to a blucher. Interesting. Also, to add... The Evanston is a beautiful shoe as well. I wish I knew about AE for more than a couple months because that would have been the first AE shoe I purchased.

Whats the closest AE store? Or Nordstroms? The shoe is on a 5 last, you should at least be able to do a test fitting if you do have somewhere local, no?

15. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Closest AE store is a 45 minute train ride away and, according to the website, none of the Nordstroms nearby carry that size/width combo. grrrrrr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.