Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Thanks for your thoughts. I ended up ordering the walnut strands. The idea of jeans/chinos with strands has been so mixed that I figure it's probably ok to do if half the strand owners wear it.

Maybe I'll reconsider the elgin and mctavish down the road. For now, I await the strands.

2. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

^^^ Nice, but it sucks that they are only in "D" widths . . .

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

There is no disagreement that the walnut strand is a nice shoe. After all, I have it. I also have the strand in dark brown shell. And I personally don't care for either casual shoe the gentleman mentioned in his original post (elgin and mctavish), but I fully realize many on here like those models.

But if what the gentleman is after is a casual shoe (which was my understanding), the walnut strand, IMO, does not fit the bill. While some may wear it more casually than others (some wear it with jeans; I never would), I don't think that equates into categorizing the walnut strand as a "casual" shoe. Categorizing this shoe as a casual shoe would require a significant departure from traditional rules of fashion (we musn't forget that the shoe in question is a single leather soled captoe balmoral with no storm welt or split-reverse welt; in other words, it has the classic characteristics of a dress shoe, save for the lighter color that makes it somewhat less formal than some darker colors).

But if the gentleman wants a dress shoe that can be worn casually (apparently some wear it casually), then I suppose the walnut strand is a suitable option.

In the end, perhaps we may have to agree to disagree? That is okay .....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

As long as it's okay with you, there is nothing to worry about. Enjoy!!

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

7. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I'm jealous you have the shell strands. I really want those, but I'm just building a collection and didn't want 2 strands (although maybe not such a bad idea on second thought)! I thought I'd go with the MacNeil or something similar.

I think we're in agreement here. I don't think the Strand solely categorizes as a casual, and I'm like you and think that it has the parts of a dress shoe and the color of a less formal shoe. I guess which is why I like it so much. It's a beautiful shoe :)

8. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Do any of you have any suggestions for shoe stretchers? My feet have seemingly widened recently (maybe they are expanding with the summer heat?) And a little more space would be nice... I would feel bad bringing all my AEs to the store to get stretched

9. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Are you gaining weight? I lost weight and went down in shoe size

10. SJTM

SJTM Active Member

Manistee has brogueing which can make it seem a little too match with the Strands, but I wear it with khakis and navy blazer and it works quite well for me.

11. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

What size are your feet? For me I'm around a 9E/9.5D so I bought a pair of solid headed large shoe trees for stretching. I basically stick it into a smaller shoe that needs to be stretched and leave it in there for a week. It's worked for me for about 0.5 to 1 size, in particular stretching out the width (since that is my major issue).

12. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

What size are your feet? For me I'm around a 9E/9.5D so I bought a pair of solid headed large shoe trees for stretching. I basically stick it into a smaller shoe that needs to be stretched and leave it in there for a week. It's worked for me for about 0.5 to 1 size, in particular stretching out the width (since that is my major issue).[/quote]

Thanks I'll give this a try. I haven't had any noticeable weight gain, so I don't know what the issue is

13. seer

seer Senior member

Thanks I'll give this a try. I haven't had any noticeable weight gain, so I don't know what the issue is[/QUOTE]

Well my cobbler (who has been in the buisness for 70 years, yes 70) says that feet tend to flatten out over time and widen.

14. seer

seer Senior member

Yeah, I don't have a camera (or cell phone) but maybe I can get my son to do it - he lives near by. But it will darken the leather - Horween recommends it for their CXL, and my cobbler (who has been in the buisness for 70 years, yes 70) swears by Neatsfoot oil. I mean if you use it on your Elgins it won't hurt them. I used two coats and got a shade darker with darker highlights. The more coats you use the darker they will get - to a point of course.

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Over time the Walnut polish will darken the shoes slightly. If you want to avoid that, you can use the Cognac polish. If you don't mind the slight darkening, then go with the Walnut polish, as the darker color will be able to better hide scuff marks (if you have any).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.