1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seer

seer Senior member

The Neatsfoot does the most, HDLP just a little.

2. sky140885

sky140885 Well-Known Member

3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Thanks for the info. I will wait until I can try on more lasts before venturing into AllAboutShoes territory. There are actually a few more staples I need to purchase before joining the world of double monk straps, methinks. Maybe AE will fix the creasing issue before I do.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  4. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

From the Fall 1986 AE catalog, the 6265 is the Chestnut Polished Cobbler McAllister.

If you wear an 8D in the PA, I'm afraid the 8C will be too tight. The PA and McAllister are on the same last.

Chris

6. amathew

amathew Senior member

Does anyone have any AE belts? Can you comment on their quality?

I'm the type to buyer cheap belts under $30 but am thinking about splurging on a decent quality belt in the $60-$120 range

7. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Well-Known Member

Good advice. Also, creasing just happens no matter what you do, so give it no thought.
    I have found that I should wear the same size in all AE shoes (excepting the Italian made ones). So, as ajmanouk say, it's not a rule!

- - - - -

Anyone have comments on the Patrio yet? Two guys on AAAC have them: one got his "normal" AE size and is happy, while another went down a 1/2 size and is happy.

8. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Burnished brown Fifth Street today:

[​IMG]

9. James77

James77 Active Member

^ Very nice. I think those will be my next purchase.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This is for all the resident shell heads on this thread. I've been thinking about adding a burgundy shoe to my collection, and your unadulterated love for all things shell has me wondering if I should bite the bullet and try a pair in shell. My question is which style? My primary use for the shoes will be with charcoal slacks and a jacket or a sweater, so more casual but dressy enough for a sport coat. I also wear a charcoal suit pretty frequently, so that is a distinct possibililty, but I'm pretty wed to black shoes with that suit.

Should I go with the long wing blucher? Is it too dressy for just wearing with slacks and a sweater? How about the Cambridge? Is it dressy enough for a suit? Too dressy for slacks and a sweater? Any thoughts based on your experience?

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Wingtips are inherently casual, while cap-toes are a bit formal for casual-wear.

The obvious choice is #8 Leeds.

A plain-toe best showcases shell IMO. The #8 will go with your charcoal suit nicely, as well as with casual wear.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The Leeds is probably my least favorite AE. If I were to do a plain toe, I might go Meermin (left to right: Meermin; AE Leeds; Alden):

[​IMG]

How versatile is the long wing blucher?

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Though, I particularly like the look of the Park Avenue and the Fifth Ave. I was wondering: The cap on the Park Ave. the Fifth Ave. and the Fifth Street are all about equally placed. Are these shoes all to be considered stubby and undesirable? If so, why does AE still offer these models?

14. gooter

gooter Senior member

I am of the opinion that the shell MacNeil can be worn with almost anything, but I may be crazy.

15. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

It sounds like you already know what you want.

16. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Disclaimer: I'm right now wearing a pair of black shell Leeds (with denim) and think they're fantastic... but the "blobbiness" that everybody seems to detest about the shoe actually nicely balances out the fact that my feet are obscenely long and narrow.

I plan on my next shell purchase being a longwing gunboat of some kind. If the Macneil came in my size, I'd already have a pair in burgundy. I'd feel fine wearing it with everything from jeans to a sweater to an odd jacket... and probably up to a linen or seersucker or flannel suit.

17. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

My vote goes to the Cambridge in Burgundy.

1 person likes this.
  18. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I agree 100% with MarioImpemba. However since you do not like the Leeds, sigh... yes the Cambridge will work. Honestly I think it boils down to what ever you are comfortable with given the environment your in and self imposed restrictions. As MarioImpemba and many others have said, nothing showcases shell as well as a plain toe. The Dundee is supposed to be available again after the current AE sale and a #8 Dundee would work as well as the Leeds. But a bit warmer in the heat of the summer of course. High on Friday will be 33F where I am camping and grouse hunting so heat isn't so much of an issue for me much of the year.

19. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

I had been lusting after the Rutledge in burnished brown but after a lot of contemplating I decided against it since I do not wear suits very often. I may in the near future but for now I will wait on getting a brown captoe. I opted to get something that can be dressed up or down and pulled the trigger on a pair of chocolate Daltons this morning. They are seconds so we will see how they turn out but I'm hoping for the best. I love the walnut color but I think the chocolate is a better choice for me right now, as it is arguably more versatile.

20. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

double post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.