Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zchen

zchen Senior member

If you have to pick one, would you get Cordovan Leeds in Burgundy or Black? (also, I already have a pair of Leeds in black calf)

2. jimney

jimney Senior member

That makes the Burgundy seem like the obvious choice to me.

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

+1 on both counts.

Burgundy. Then plan to replace the black calf with black cordovan later. :slayer:

Definitely get some trees, some conditioner / moisturizer, some sole edge treatment, and some brushes. Kiwi wax is pretty good stuff and it is inexpensive. Skip the Cole Haans unless you will be walking a lot outside. Once I had AEs, I never wore the Cole Haans.

Use the money to buy another pair of AEs, perhaps a pair of loafers or a blucher.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

4. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

I am partial to brown. One pair of captoes fulfills all my needs in the black shoe category

5. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

I feel the same way. Beyond my pair of black PAs I don't think I'll be picking up any more black shoes for a long while.
    (though I might add in a balmoral wingtip in black as well some day)

6. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

My Black hills are creating a lot of pain for me on my little toe from rubbing on the side. This is weird since I have no trouble with the Strand and kenilworth which are on the same last. Is it cause of the rough waxy leather of the black hills? Can a cobbler stretch rough leather or only calf skin?

7. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

As for keeping 1 pair in each color, for me, the walnut and dark brown are so different that I consider them different colors.

I recommend staying away from Cole Haan. You will likely end up replacing them in the future with a better quality shoe, at which point you will have wasted your money on the Cole Haans.

Is keeping all 4 pairs if shoes an option?

8. CosmeDaniel

CosmeDaniel Senior member

I wish they'd bring the Reddings back for another season. I think I prefer them over my Park Avenues, but the current selections using the 2 or 8 last aren't that appealing to me.

9. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I need dress shoes for a funeral tomorrow, I am debating between the Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue.

Which pair and why?

There is an AE store five minutes away from my house so I plan on getting these today or early tomorrow. I would also like to use these black shoes for job interviews and any other formal occasion in which I will need black shoes.

Thanks

10. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8005_1_40000000001_-1

That's all you need to know. In Black. Blutchers always fit better and are comfortable and more versitile.

11. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

^ Totally wrong.

I would go for the PA, but FA is also a possibility. I would go with the pair you like best. Remember to give them some polishing before wear.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

12. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

They do not always fit better and are definitely not more versatile. Some on this board would argue that you shouldn't even wear bluchers with a suit.

Since you are looking for a formal shoe (funeral, job interview), you want a balmoral, not a blucher. Get the PAs. If you feel like getting the FAs at some point in the future, get them in a different color, like brown.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

13. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

Lay a shoe on a flat surface. The back of the heel will be 1/2an inch higher and the front of the sole an inch or more off the ground. Every co.makes shoes this way so obviously it's meant to ensure correct stride.

14. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I would suggest throwing saved money into a pair of Daltons or Bayfields or whatever boots AE introduces for the fall. I picked up a pair of nice goodyear-welted semi-dress boots a few years ago and they've become one of my most-worn shoes. You really won't regret it. Boots are like shell -- you get one pair and suddenly you really want more. :nodding:

Seconded. I only purchased black shell Leeds because they showed up new on eBay for a steal. I would've paid twice as much for burgundy shell. Still might, if the two pair at shoebank are still around a month or two from now...

15. nater

nater Active Member

Awesome, thank you. I will visit this afternoon in search of Walnut 10.5D's. Also, thanks for the website tip... last time I looked, they were only available in Black and in one size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.