1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etran27

etran27 Active Member

Hey, do you guys think a size 8 d delray will fit about the same as a 8.5 d sanford?

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have the delray in 9D and the sanford in 9.5D. For my foot shape, the delray - 1/2 size smaller - actually feels roomier, but then again the 7 last (sanford) has never suited me very well. A 9D in the Sanford is impossible for me to wear.

3. etran27

etran27 Active Member

awesome, just what I needed to hear!

4. etran27

etran27 Active Member

if you buy shoes from the ae site or amazon, do they come with shoe trees?

5. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Not in my experience. A pair arrived with complimentary bags once. If you purchase trees with your shoes, AE might place them inside your shoes during shipping if you request.

6. etran27

etran27 Active Member

oooh I see.

7. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I have the Delrays and Bayfield (same 1 last as the Dalton). Same size in both--11B. The Bayfield fits a little more snug in the toe box is all I notice. Both feel very good to me in that size.

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Did they discontinue the fifth avenue boot? :plain:

9. Obsidiank

Obsidiank Member

stopped by my AE today to get fitted for Park Avenues. The person told me that I could either go with 11 D or 10.5 E as they would fit about the same. I was leaning towards the 10.5 E as that felt like there was less heel slippage. However, he warned me that if it was too wide, then the shoe wouldn't crease in the place and that might look weird.

Does anyone know that he means by that. He wasn't too knowledgable and it seemed like an off handed comment.

10. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I was wondering if anybody could share some chocolate Daltons in the wild?

11. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

Just wear whatever is most comfortable! The most comfortable shoe will fit you better, and crease in the correct spots.

EDIT: The 5 last (which the PA is built on) is a bit of a longer, narrower last. The general guideline (not rule, though!) is to size down half and size up width one. So if you normally wear a 10D in other dress shoes, a PA in 9.5E will usually fit you quite well. The SA is right in the sense that both might fit similar width wise, since a larger size has more girth.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  12. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

+1 please!

13. theinternet

theinternet Well-Known Member

Loving the Cronmok photos people have been posting. The tan with a little oil applied looks fantastic. Maybe if I had seen those photos before returning my tan pair I would have reconsidered that color. Anyways, my properly sized brown Cronmoks should be arriving today or tomorrow and I wanted to darken the leather up from a light brown to more of a medium brown like a few of you seem to have done. I have some walnut and brown AE shoe polish, along with mink oil. What would everyone recommend to accomplish this?

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I'm loving it too but it makes temptation a much harder thing to resist you bastages......... [​IMG]

I would be very careful using anything other than a known product to darken the rough collection shoes. I used Obenhauf's leather oil on my black hills and it did not like it at all. After almost 2 weeks of saddle soaping them they came back to the original color. HDLP did work OK on them in the end. I would stick with what Seer is doing, it works and works well, he knows what he is doing. He did his Mctavish with neetsfoot oil and I wanted to darken mine also so I also used neetsfoot oil and it works very well on the rough collection leather.

Elgin and McTavish before:
    [​IMG]

After using neetsfoot oil on the McTavish:
    [​IMG]

You can pick up neetsfoot oil at most ACE Hardware stores and it is not expensive. Years ago when you bought a baseball glove you always had a jar of it to work into the glove to soften the leather and help break it in. I have not used mink oil in years, I used to cook it into my boots in the oven. But have switched to HDLP ever since I had a custom boot made from Russell Moccasin 7-8 years ago. I would stick with neetsfoot oil unless you really wanted to seriously waterproof them for severe conditions.

15. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

I second this comment. Darkening of the leather really goes only one way... and you should probably stop a shade or two lighter than what you want since the light colored rough collection will most likely darken more over time and use.

16. theinternet

Thanks so much for the pictures and advice about Neatsfeet oil. That is precisely what I will be doing with my brown Cronmoks. Forgive my ignorance, but what is HDLP?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  17. seer

seer Senior member

18. theinternet

19. gooter

gooter Senior member

I saw the Long Branch in grey in person this weekend and really like them. The grey is a LOT darker than the images suggest, its more of a dark charcoal than I was expecting. I think I will be getting them as a casual fall/winter boot. They are definitely chunkier than something like the Dalton, but I need a rubber sole for the snow we get. I took a picture with my phone, but it turned out terribly and the flash makes the grey look much lighter than it does in person.

[​IMG]

Edit- they are more this colour

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  20. theinternet

One more question: Will simply applying the Neatsfoot oil sans HDLP darken the boot like your photos? I'm wondering what is doing the majority of the darkening, is it the NF oil or the HDLP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.