• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teapot418

Reaction score
I got a pair of McTavishes but I'm seriously considering going back next paycheck to get a pair of Strands after seeing them in person. Definitely go check them out.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the shoe, I think it would work, but I wouldn't get it in black. What color were you thinking?

In his post, he mentioned specifically getting them in Walnut.

I was going to mention the Elgin and McTavish for him as well. I think as far as a "casual" shoe goes, those are both great choices. The Elgin is a bit darker than the McTavish, so if there's a preference/concern about overall color, that might be something to consider. But both are a great choice for the brown/tan category.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of McTavishes but I'm seriously considering going back next paycheck to get a pair of Strands after seeing them in person. Definitely go check them out.

I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing both the McTavish and the Strands at the same time.

sartorialnoob

Reaction score
The color isn't a problem. I love my walnut Strands. I may have to hold out for the McTavish.

jjr4884

Reaction score
Got the 4th AE Shell in past month. The Macneils and Leeds fit fine in 11.5D but the brown Strand is a wee bit tight and long in 11.5D. Will for the first time, go to the AE store at lunch and actually get sized!
Likely get the Strand in a 11E and give the 11.5D back at the store.
Regards.

Ya my first two pairs were 10D, when i picked up the shell strands i went to AE in boston and made sure i was properly fitted. On the 5 last, turns out i'm a 9.5 Def step down a half size...

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ya my first two pairs were 10D, when i picked up the shell strands i went to AE in boston and made sure i was properly fitted.  On the 5 last, turns out i'm a 9.5  Def step down a half size...

So I did go to the AE store and on the *Device*, i was L-10D R-11D, and I normally wear a 11.5D. I tried the 11E in PA (same last) and it was loose, so ended up getting the Shell Strand in a 11D and its fine.

Regards.

Storm33

Reaction score
Wearing my mocha Drydens today; they've held up very well for a five-year-old shoe.

I should have a purchase report on something else soon. :smarmy:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. After my exchange with JokerMan, I looked more closely at the Brannock instructions.

http://brannock.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/brannock/instructions.html#fitting

It was insightful regarding the comparison between heel to toe measurement and heel to ball measurement. Typically, I let the SA take the measurements and make a size recommendation. From now on, though, I am going to ask the SA to show me the two different measurements so I can see how they compare.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Yuma boots I bought from Nordstrom just came. They had the infamous white sticker. I am really pissed because they weren't even on sale.

The shoes didn't really fit in the box so they were really creased. The insoles were not properly glued down so they are really uncomfortable.
There is glue issues throughout. The leather looks like one solid color in the Nordstrom pics, but irl they have some significant discolorations throughout.

MZWilson

Reaction score
Having a problem polishing my black AE McAllisters. The odd thing is that it's only on one shoe. Following my normal procedure, I get a decent shine on the left shoe, but the toe of the right shoe past the broguing is just, for lack of better word, dull. the leather even feels different to the touch, a bit less smooth. Any ideas what I can do to get the shine back?
Here's what I usually do:
  1. Remove dirt with a brush.
  2. Apply cleaner/conditioner, allow to sit for a few minutes, and remove with cloth.
  3. Apply polish (sometimes a wax) and allow to sit for a few minutes.
  4. Buff off with a horsehair brush and give a final wipedown with a cloth.
  5. Edge dressing.
Thanks!

jjr4884

Reaction score
So I did go to the AE store and on the *Device*, i was L-10D R-11D, and I normally wear a 11.5D. I tried the 11E in PA (same last) and it was loose, so ended up getting the Shell Strand in a 11D and its fine.
Regards.

Funny... i am a L-10.5D and R-10D and still felt the 9.5D was a perfect fit. The crease behind the toebox was perfect, thats what made me realize the 9.5 was the fit.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds unusual, but if the shoes fit well then it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads