1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If it fits correctly, there should be no gap some say.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

one thing to note is that these three loafers use different construction, and will therefore fit differently. The Patriot is a welted shoe, while the other two are their "handsewn" shoes, albeit on differing last (plus I think Kenwood is made in the Dominican Republic).

I went into a store a while ago and tried on basically every loafer they had in stock. I was quite surprised to find that the handsewn shoes were the LEAST comfortable, at least for my foot. I ended up with the Verona, which is the Italy-made shoe that is Bologna construction; sort of in between welted and handsewn. There is something funny about AE's handsewn shoes; I'd suggest trying them on before buying.

3. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Well-Known Member

I often think the Verona was designed for my feet given how well they fit. I regretably have only one pair of the brown, which has been discontinued.

4. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Well-Known Member

That's the theory, but I've found that over time shoes will stretch and loosen up and a gap in the lacing allows them to be tightened up to compensate.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

+1. I have a new pair of shoes with no gap, and I have some concern that they may stretch beyond my ability to tighten them.

I'm also experimenting with another pair to see how much they really will stretch.

6. remind

remind New Member

Posting regarding my experience with AE's amazing customer service:

- 1.5 years ago, I got sized for my first pair of AEs, Park Avenues in dark brown. The sales associate told me I was 10.5 EE and I bought the PAs in that size.
    - I got the PAs, wore them for 6 months and really could never get used to the feel.
    - Got sized 8 months after buying the PAs for a pair of Strands, and I found out my size was actually 9.5 E!
    - I got my Strands after a while, then figured out that 9.5 E is the right size on the 5-last.
    - This was now almost a full year after I got the PAs, and they were not new by any standards. I email customer service about what happened, and they told me to send in the Park Avenues.
    - New pair of dark brown Park Avenues in 9.5 E on my doorstep after 2 weeks.

Amazed. Customer for life.

3 people like this.
  7. amathew

amathew Senior member

Wow!

8. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Sadly, the closest Nordstrom Rack to me is 570 miles away in St. Louis.

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have a high instep and none of my shoes completely close at the laces. Not a problem for me as long as the gap isn't too big.

Here is a picture from one of the AE catalogs and there is a gap. I'm guessing they wouldn't feature it in the catalog if it wasn't OK.
    [​IMG]

Chris

10. OldManMachine

OldManMachine Well-Known Member

@ jch1 - What is it with the 5th avenue cap that you don't like? I'm planning to purchase my first quality shoe and was hoping to go with the 5th avenues. Please chime in with your thoughts and experience. Are you implying that they look short and stumpy?

@ New Shoes1 - what is it that you solved in the photo? I'm a shoe noob, so not quite sure what it was that you did.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Some people (myself included) feel that the toe cap line on the Park Avenues and Fifth Avenues is too far from the laces and too close to the toe, making the toe appear stubby and not sleek. Compare the toe line on the Park Avenue below with the one on the brown shoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

^ what are the brown shoes pictured?

13. OldManMachine

Oh man, that makes a lot of sense. Sometimes when I look at photos from other owners, the park avenues look kind of sleek, streamlined, and slender. Other times, some photos such as the ones on AE's website makes the park avenues look stubby and short.

I'm glad I saw your post before I purchased a pair. Now, I'll have to research and find alternatives for a balmoral captoe in black for conservative wear to work. I kind of had my heart set on the AE Park Avenues since they're highly raved as a good foundational pair of shoes. Do you have any suggestions for alternatives to the AE PA? What are the brown ones that you are wearing?

I would like Kent Wang's benchgrade captoe balmorals, but they only come in brown or light brown. The black are only available with the plaintoe balmorals.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

What shoes are those that you are wearing in that photo from the "tailor's fit" thread?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  14. gooter

gooter Senior member

check out the AE Rutledge

15. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Exactly what New Shoes stated- the fact that the cap is so far from the laces makes the shoe look stumpy (I didn't want to say that initially so as to not offend anyone!) even with my sz 11.5D foot. Compared to the Strand, which has a "longer" cap section, it becomes more noticeable. This isn't to say the fifth ave isn't a nice shoe, they just don't look quite right for me. I'm going to see if I can exchange (worn once) for a pair of Hampton, Rutledge, Jefferson, or Harrison (obviously having to pay the difference).

16. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

This is the exact reason why I love the discontinued AE Soho's. My favorite AE captoe. They got the cap toe line placement perfect on that one.

17. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The C&J Connaught (captoe bal (straight tip)) also gets it right, IMO.

18. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

PSA: I just ordered the black shell leeds at the sale price. To be guaranteed to get the new shell finish (which is a deal breaker for me), I was advised to place the order via phone and not online (the CSA put special instructions on my order in this regard). The drawback is that they charge my card right away (so I get the sale price) as opposed to when they ship, but I don't really care about that. My size online says ships in 4-6 weeks, but the CSA's system said they have 27 pairs in their retail stores - and that an order placed online may get "filled' by one of the stores (and those will not have the new finish). The CSA is having them hand delivered to her before they ship to me. She will personally inspect them. Wonderful customer service. :nodding:

19. OldManMachine

The AE Rutledge looks very nice, but from the photos on AE's website, it's still a bit hard to determine if the cap is longer than the AE PA's / 5th Ave. Do you personally notice the difference, giving a longer & sleeker look?

Also, would the black rutledge be considered conservative enough to be appropriate for work?

20. gooter

gooter Senior member

I find that it has nicer proportions than the PA's, but keep in mind the shoe is a different shape entirely. And yes, they are work appropriate.

[​IMG]

Edit: I realize the pictures arent very good, and certainly dont show the proportions of the shoe very well, but its all I've got

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.