• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone know of what shell cordovan cream, or recommendations for my walnut shell strands that would be good for keeping the lighter color. AE has a cream but I believe the option available will darken the walnut color. Would meltonian shoe cream be an ok cream to use?
Thanks

A few things you could use, all of which will serve you well, and all of which are designed for, or compatible with, shell cordovan:

1. Alden tan paste wax
2. Saphir neutral shell cordovan cream
3. Saphir reno
4. Venetian Shoe Cream

I personally would stay away from Meltonian shoe cream. Nothing wrong with that product, just save it for calf.

Last edited:

PK35216

Reaction score
Anyone knows how's the sizing on the neumora 3 last compared to PA? I'm 9.5E on 5 last after sizing 1 down, width one up. TIA

Here are my notes taken during a fitting session at my outlet with the neumora and the rutledge.

For reference, I am a 9.5 C on brannock device and it seems to be my perfect size in 5 last shoes. I also fit a 9D in 5 last. I have many of both sizes in 5 last. I have a low volume foot with a small instep.

In the Neumora, I didn't find a great fit, but didn't have access to every option.

9D fit a bit big. 8.5 D fit a bit tight, but was passable. I'd like to try a 9C, but they don't make the Rutledge in that size. Not sure about the neumora.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Any pics in the wild of the Fairfax or the weybridge? Interested in picking up my first pair of whole cuts, but I've never seen them in real life before.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Why is Allen Edmonds branching out into things like watches? It just frustrates me to see a shoe company have watches on the front page of their website.

iloveshoes

Reaction score

A few things you could use, all of which will serve you well, and all of which are designed for, or compatible with, shell cordovan:
1. Alden tan paste wax
2. Saphir neutral shell cordovan cream
3. Saphir reno
4. Venetian Shoe Cream
I personally would stay away from Meltonian shoe cream. Nothing wrong with that product, just save it for calf.

Ok perfect! Thanks

facet

Reaction score

Any pics in the wild of the Fairfax or the weybridge? Interested in picking up my first pair of whole cuts, but I've never seen them in real life before.

Didn't take any pics; but came across a couple pair at the Nordstrom Rack in Newport in chili. It was a really great looking shoe and wouldn't hesitate to wear it if I had one in possession. The ones I saw were for $220.

As an aside, stumbled across a pair of Hales in black as well while I was there. Beautiful shoe and really comfortable fit when I tried it on. I was so tempted to buy them right then and there but I have to have some self discipline.

madeinitaly

Reaction score
Why is Allen Edmonds branching out into things like watches? It just frustrates me to see a shoe company have watches on the front page of their website.

A shoemaker company must do only shoes.
watches are an other world.
For which reason a man could decide to buy that watch?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I posted a pic of my Chili Fairfaxes a while back, let me look.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know of what shell cordovan cream, or recommendations for my walnut shell strands that would be good for keeping the lighter color. AE has a cream but I believe the option available will darken the walnut color. Would meltonian shoe cream be an ok cream to use?
Thanks
For both my shell walnut shoe and boot I use Saphir Reno sparingly and not very often, Saphir Cognac wax #10 for scuffs and scrapes, it is almost a perfect match and will not darken the color. Once in a great while I will apply a very thin coat on the complete shoe but I use it only when needed. Saphir Cordovan cream polish in neutral, again only sparingly. A horse hair brush and nylon stocking is what I use most of the time. I also agree about staying away from the Meltonian shoe cream for shell.

mingus2112

Reaction score

I'll have to take a look, but I am pretty against fashion watches in general. I did notice quite a lot of non shoe items in their 6th ave store, but not enough to be distracting. There were actually a couple ties that I was really interested in. Anyone know who makes their ties??

-J

edit: looked at the watches - it isn't as bad as i thought. they're not "Allen Edmonds" branded watches. Perhaps they own Luminox? Maybe they have some kind of deal making their leather straps? Crap - now i'm thinking about looking for Allen Edmonds watch straps for some of my classier pieces!!

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E is branching out to other product lines presumably because they see profit in it. They can only raise the price of their shoes so much before customers leave for other brands.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about all the different kinds of "seconds" (and on down the line) sole marks on Allen Edmonds. What do these two little round marks mean? I've heard of the soles being drilled through if the shoe is too bad even to sell as a second, is that what I'm looking at?

AllenEdmondsdrillmarks2.jpg

AllenEdmondsdrillmarks.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads