• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

madeinitaly

Reaction score
@DIMA

mee too all 8 uk ( tricker's 8, C&J 8, church's 8)
AE 8,5
alden 8,5
usa made shoes + 0.5 always.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you order anything else with the Elgin (2/$300)? Or just on their own? If so, how much are they going for?

Just the Elgin's at $179. They are being discontinued on the AE site and if you are a 11.5\12\13 you can get them at $219 for firsts from AE. These are seconds and firsts are still available from Brooks Brothers at ~$300. Amazon has them listed as in stock and some sizes are on sale (not mine however). I normally get firsts on sale or discounted through the Military Exchange but have purchased four pair of seconds and usually can not find any defects. If there are any it doesn't cost anything to send them back and try another pair. I did hear back from the Shoebank this afternoon (Nathan) and recall him cross shipping a replacement pair to me during the 2 for $200 sale and he never billed my credit card, trusting me to return the pair I wasn't happy with (which I did right away). That is pretty good customer service.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Just the Elgin's at $179. They are being discontinued on the AE site and if you are a 11.5\12\13 you can get them at $219 for firsts from AE. These are seconds and firsts are still available from Brooks Brothers at ~$300. Amazon has them listed as in stock and some sizes are on sale (not mine however). I normally get firsts on sale or discounted through the Military Exchange but have purchased four pair of seconds and usually can not find any defects. If there are any it doesn't cost anything to send them back and try another pair. I did hear back from the Shoebank this afternoon (Nathan) and recall him cross shipping a replacement pair to me during the 2 for $200 sale and he never billed my credit card, trusting me to return the pair I wasn't happy with (which I did right away). That is pretty good customer service.

Thanks for the info.

Those shoebank guys are pretty awesome. I had a similar experience where they shipped out a pair of shoes to me for exchange before I even shipped the initial one back.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience, "D" widths are common (i.e. more inventory). Some sales people get as close as they can with what they have in stock. That or the measurements were taken incorrectly. The Nordstrom guy measured me at 12D also. I'm an 11C.

When I went to a local AE store to have my foot measured in 5 last, I dropped from an 8.5D to a 7.5E. Like you, the larger of the two was much too narrow and long.

Thanks, looks like I have just dramatically decreased my shoe choices if I truly need an 11EE instead of my old 12D.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, there really isn't that much difference between a 11EE and a 11.5E. Try it on and see if you like it.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I went to a local AE store to have my foot measured in 5 last, I dropped from an 8.5D to a 7.5E. Like you, the larger of the two was much too narrow and long.

The 5 last is considered AE's longest last. For the people I know, it is very common for men to take a smaller size in the 5 last. However, that smaller size is usually just 1/2 size down (but same width). Had that been the case for you, you would have went to an 8D. However, conventional wisdom is that a 7.5E will fit very similar to an 8D.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would have to try it on and make sure you like it.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otherwise, the two sizes are very close to each other.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
I seem to always have a bit of extra room in the toe box (in terms of length) while the rest of the foot fits very nicely with minimal heel slippage when walking. How important is room in the toe box area?

Or is this a case of "1/2 size down, 1 size out"? Thanks.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that he preferred the full grain calf to the rough leather of the mctavish. This seems to suggest that the rough collection leathers are not full-grain. Does anyone know if this us the case?

From what I can gather, rough collection leathers are full grain cow hide, either in an un-dyed vegetable tanned finish or waxed. The key difference is cow vs. calf - the leather is thicker and rougher, but that doesn't mean it will wear out any faster, if anything I'd expect it to last longer than the more delicate calf.

I seem to always have a bit of extra room in the toe box (in terms of length) while the rest of the foot fits very nicely with minimal heel slippage when walking.  How important is room in the toe box area?

Or is this a case of "1/2 size down, 1 size out"?  Thanks.

Do you trip over the toe? Does the shoe bend in an uncomfortable spot on your foot? If the answer to both of these is no, and the shoe fits comfortably in the other particulars, then they are not too long IMO.

Last edited:

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Do you trip over the toe? Does the shoe bend in an uncomfortable spot on your foot? If the answer to both of these is no, and the shoe fits comfortably in the other particulars, then they are not too long IMO.

Kind, sir. You've made my day. Hope you have a nice one yourself.

mingus2112

Reaction score
I've been buying 11D for most of my life (had no complaints). Even have a pair of Cliftons in 11D that fit fairly well. (might be a tad loose) Stopped in the 6th ave store in Manhattan friday and was measured at a 12B! MIND BLOWN. She actually had me first at a 13B - Said my arch measured 13 and my toe length was 12. . .or vice versa. Either way, I trust her but in the back of my mind i'm skeptical. I'm not a big guy - 5'8", 160lbs. Size 12 sounds like a HUGE shoe for me. The proof is in the fit, though, because the Park Aves and Strands I tried on actually FELT smaller than the same shoes in 11C. Armed with that knowledge, I went right to ebay and found a really decent shape of black Park Avenues, forgot to bid, and watched as some other lucky bastard won them for $25!

I know both the strand and park avenue are included in the Nordstroms sale, but i'm hoping they're signifigantly cheaper as seconds. I'm the type of guy who cries at the first scratch and would be much more comfortable wearing shoes that are already broken in! If anyone has a pair of walnut strands or black park aves in 12B that you're looking to unload - you know who to PM!

As a side note - Anyone have a suggestion to a specific insert i could buy to make the 11D Cliftons I already have feel a little less wide?

-James

mingus2112

Reaction score
. . .and I just have to add that I emailed the shoe bank tonight and got a response 21 minutes later. How's that for service!!??

-James

iloveshoes

Reaction score
anyone know of what shell cordovan cream, or recommendations for my walnut shell strands that would be good for keeping the lighter color. AE has a cream but I believe the option available will darken the walnut color. Would meltonian shoe cream be an ok cream to use?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads