Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Maybe a simple cap toe?

2. gooter

gooter Senior member

I was thinking perhaps Park Ave or Fifth Ave in brown calf.

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

If you pick up burgundy shell cordovan Park Avenues, I am willing to wager you'll never regret spending the extra.

(disclaimer: I'm wearing black shell Leeds right now.)

4. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I only have experience with the Delrays (own them in Black and Chili), but I really don't like the look of the shoes you posted at all. The toe is a bit too elongated, and the overall shape is some sort of hybrid between those awful bike shoes and some sort of weird extra-long shoes that creepy ethnic dudes wear to the clubs with their dark purple Express shirts and the top 3 or 4 buttons undone.

I'd definitely say stick to the Delrays, but it's a matter of personal preference I suppose.

5. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

best pic i've come across for the walnut shell strand... obviously from this site lol

[​IMG]

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I couldn't get the Malvern to fit me, it was just too narrow in the toebox. Felt fine at the AE store but after getting them home and wearing them awhile it was a different story. More than a few people have had this issue especially in the later production runs if you look at the reviews. I purchased my first pair of Clark's while in England deployed on a NATO cruise, back when they still made them there. Not a fan of the unlined Desert Boot in general though. They don't last long and have little to no support. Not pleasant to walk any distance in either. I do have the AE Katmai which I really like and have been wearing this summer a lot while shooting various shotgun venues. Even though it is a lined suede chukka it has been a great shoe so far even in this hot weather. Treated with suede spray protector they have repelled everything I have thrown at them so far. They are on closeout at around the same price as the Malvern I believe. Worth looking at those too IMO.

7. gooter

gooter Senior member

Interesting idea! The brown cordovan looks nice as well.

8. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I recommend Fifth Avenues in brown

9. madeinitaly

madeinitaly Active Member

[​IMG]
    what about my manchester? love them so much...

10. gooter

gooter Senior member

I'm also thinking about grabbing the black/brown webgem Broadstreet for a little fun!

11. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Ended up getting a much nicer replacement pair. I'm much happier for doing so. Also managed to pick up a new pair of Park Ave's at the Nordstroms anniversary sale.

12. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I bought the burnished brown calf Strands about a month ago because color wise, they are only a tad darker than the shell Strands. Took them back 2 days later for the shell without even thinking twice. Part of it was to get my first pair of shells, but honestly... this leather is just amazing. When you really want a shoe, you can't settle for less, and the cordovan on this Strand is better looking than Zoolander... so ya. Coughed up another couple bills and walked away with a smile.

13. facet

facet Senior member

I stopped by the AE store while I was on vacation in Newport and checked out some of their offerings. The burgundy shell PA was on display there and I struck by its colour vs the calf burgundy PAs. The shell version imho really popped a lot more with the burgundy colour being a lot more pronounced compared to the calf. Great looking shoe.

14. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

Wearing my black shell PAs today.

[​IMG]

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Truthfully, I've never seen burgundy shell in the flesh... but your description is exactly as I'd imagine it. I've settled on my next acquisition being either some kind of blucher or dress boot in burgundy shell. Let's see what AE throws down this fall and whether it comes in a sufficiently narrow size...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.