Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Decisions, decisions. I like my brown Delrays so much I was going to pick up a pair in black this Fall. Now, I'm thinking these Santoni's might be a nice change of pace. Anyone with experience with both brands have any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

Ha. No worries, didn't take it as criticism at all. I just know that my shoes always look like that after just one wearing and I was too lazy to clean 'em up for the shots.

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Many thanks! These were mine originally. Back in 2009 I wanted something with a rubber sole and this is the only such model available new (not bespoke or MTM) in 14AA on the entire planet. The heels had worn to the point that the hollow rubber center was starting to collect small pebbles. They were the first shoes I've had B. Nelson resole; it was kind of a test run on a pair that I flog rather than something nicer. I have been advised that one can request dark stitching, and will do so for future resole work.

The DC area is setting heat records left and right this summer, so I spend most of my time in light-colored linen business casual. I got away with these shoes, a raw linen suit with a white shirt, and a panama hat when I went to see a retirement ceremony for a friend from the US Marine Band a couple months ago.

4. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

For those who own the Malvern, I'm debating those boots (which are currently on clearance) v. something like a clarks DB in beeswax for colder weather/casual use. The Clarks' crepe sole isn't ideal, but at that price (~$70) they seem kind of like a no-brainer. The Malvern, OTOH, is obviously more formal yet the chukka style is still sufficiently informal for a weekend run-around boot.

Thoughts?

5. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

Trying to decide if I should keep these or not. The Ridgeway's came out about the same time as the Neumoks, but I believe they were short runs / webgems. I saw them and the black/red version on a seconds list from the shoebank and figured I'd check em out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The orange is VERY bright on both the welt and the stitching. Being in Southeastern VA where there is a huge alumni base, I think the colors are a little too close to Virginia Tech for my liking (I went to Maryland, a rival ACC school). I forgot to take a pic of the sole, but it's definitely a lug, which I kinda like. Very different and could be used for foul weather days. I'm torn.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I had the same debate last year, but my decision was made for me when Amazon had a Black Friday sale where Malverns were $190. I don't regret the decision for a second as I wear my brown leather Malverns with everything from jeans through chinos and even with wool slacks. Very versatile.

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Speaking as a Terp (albeit one who graduated a few years before the ACC gobbled up Miami and VT), I'd wear those like a boss.

8. elbastardocalvo

I've got a credit from a recent recrafting, which would bring the Malverns to ~$210. Not bad...

9. elbastardocalvo

This Wahoo agrees with you: that's looks like something they would sell at the campus bookstores in Blacksburg.

10. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I really don't know if I should jump in and get strands now...or wait till december and do the 2 for 1 deal? Can anyone clarify how that works? Is it a deal through AE or through AE outlet because I have no idea where the closet outlet is or how shoebank works. Which im sure I could figure out by searching.

11. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

anybody else got cappucino pics?

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks. To the regular followers of AE outlet sales: How many of these 2 for $200/300 sales are there per year? I remember the 2 for $200. That was a few months ago. Does that only come around once a year? I thought someone mentioned that it comes around again in the fall/winter, but not sure. I can probably wait since I have enough shoes :embar: , but is this 2 for $300 it for 2012? I may have to put in an order...

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Just avoid wearing them with a jersey. :)

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Santoni has numerous like (like Ferragamo). The FAM line is superb. The bottom shelf stock I do not find too impressive.

15. gooter

gooter Senior member

Wondering what you chaps think a good next AE shoe would be for me. So far I have walnut Strands, black Vernons, and Black McAllisters. I was thinking of something in burgundy or brown. They have to be "dressy" enough to wear with a suit to work. Any input?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.