1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Any idea where I could find some AE Mora (brown / 9.5D)?
    I know its an old style, but thought someone might know where to find some....Im not sure that I like the toe on the Neumora.

2. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

How much are the Strands going to be in the sale?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  3. dgsdm

dgsdm Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of the norwich? Thinking about getting them in brown. Was thinking about the neumora but im not liking the toe too much.

Also is the norwich the cheapest during the rediscovery sale? Or can I find them cheaper elsewhere if I wait?

4. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

They're okay in my opinion. I prefer the double monk, though.

As for the price-- you may be able to get them for around 200 at an outlet. They will be seconds, but you probably wont even notice or find the "flaw".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Thanks. I haven't tried the 7 last before so that's why I asked. Looks like it fits TTS then.

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

not sure it's a "problem" but my wife probably thinks it is.

Interestingly, the supplemental catalog does not have the 5th streets in shell in it at all, but does have the Dundees in 3 different shell colors, and the Daltons in burgundy only. The Dunddes are actually pictured in the brown shell.

Your best bet would be an outlet, but I imagine a common size like that will be long gone. Maybe Ebay?

I take the same size in both. The 7 last is a little more snug than the 5 through the toes, due to the tapered toe, but it should fit. Give it a trial period on carpet before you wear them on pavement, that way if you need to return them you can.

It was last year [​IMG]

I also saw the Regent Street in Chili while I was there - that is a good looking shoe! If they had one in my size to try on that new 4 last, I may have been getting that too.

7. arkane

arkane Well-Known Member

Quote:
    $199 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

I pulled the trigger on the Amsterdams from UD yesterday. I hope it doesn't take the full 4-5 weeks to arrive!!

Also, a few weeks ago, I ordered #8 shell Park Avenues from Sherman Bros. with the 15% off deal, but they said they were back ordered for a significant period of time. They allowed me the option to cancel, but I said HELL NO!!

I'll post some pics when they arrive. Those Amsterdams are killer!

And since the conversation turned to brown shell Leeds, I thought I would post a terrible pic of my rare Cigar Shell Alden PTB's on the Aberdeen last, which is a specialty shoe specified by a local menswear store in my area (Birmingham).

Unfortunately, the second time I wore them, I got caught in a very brief light rain and it left permanent welts on both shoes. I contacted Alden and they said give them to the store to send back for refinishing, so we will see. I have several pairs of AE shell now (all acquired within the past several months, but I have not experienced such welting that did not go away by itself or with a little brushing. My second pair, black shell cambridges, got caught in a big storm on my second or third wear and not a problem.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of the welting from the rain, which I sent to Alden customer service. Neither time, copious brushing, nor Saphir Reno would correct. Plus, the welts are raised in several areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Curious to know others' experiences with rain and shell. It's like my shoes caught the chicken pox!

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

All shell, regardless of maker, should be treated with Alden Defender. It would have prevented your problem.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

My experience is different. My 5 lasted shoes are 9D and fit well. My 7 lasted shoe is 9.5D and is snug, bordering on too small. A 7 lasted shoe in 9D, for me, is unbearable.

11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I am on the same boat. The 7 last does not work for me because of the tapered toe. The 7 last is too short and narrow in the toebox for me, while the 5 is a great fit. That being said, the new regent streets in the 4 last fit me perfectly in the same size as my 5 last shoes

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

My experience has also been that I've had to size up 1/2 on the 7 compared to other AE lasts.

I think it is because the toe box is lower, so it pushes my toes down and forward.

But as usual, you have to try on the individual lasts to be sure of fit for your own foot.

13. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

I've been away too long it seems. I love the pictures here of the Amsterdam in Bourbon, but don't see it on AE's site. What last is it made on?

14. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I agree, each foot is shaped differently and its very hard to gauge what will fit who. The 7 last is strange also because it has a very wide heel in combination with the narrow toe, which is the exact opposite of my foot shape (narrow heel, regular to slightly wide forefoot)

15. sartorialnoob

By the way, those webgem shell boots have me drooling.

16. James77

James77 Active Member

Can anyone help me with the sizing difference between the 1 last and the 5 last?
    I have the Dalton boot in an 8D and would like to pick up a pair of Fifth Avenue when the sale is on.
    Thanks

17. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Am I the only one who does not like the leeds? Its the quintessential blobby ugly plain blucher. In fact, i hate all PTBs.

yuck

18. sartorialnoob

I agree with you, to some extent. I do, however, like the Kenilworth in brown. It darkens just enough towards the toe to give it some character. I also think shell gives a PTB a little bit of character as well.

19. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

That sucks. I have 1 pair that gets welts, my AE Bradley NSTs. I just try not to wear them when I think it's going to rain.

I need to check into this more - thanks.

I do not agree (no surprise there, probably since I now own 4 pair of them in shell). Of course, I don't mind blobby, in fact I prefer it to long, squared or "soft squared" toes.

For those interested, here is the "supplemental 2012" AE catalog I was referencing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I'm also generally not a fan of the Leeds. I tried it in shell, and I just don't know what it's use is. Casually, I'd prefer a boot, and the Leeds is just too clunky to dress up. If I were getting a PTB, it would most definitely be the Kenilworth over the Leeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.