Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Being in the AE thread, I'm sure the overwhelming vote will be AE. Personally, I think BM's leather uppers are not as good as AE. The construction is also a factor with AE being GYW and BM not (which affects sole thickness). Used to own BM years ago (when the shoes were better) and until recently had a decent collection of AE. I vote AE.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have at least a dozen pairs on Alden's Barrie Last. I have 3 models on AE's 8 Last. I take 9D in each. Hope this helps.

3. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

I picked up a pair of the Brown Shell Strands in my exact size 9.5C from Shoebuy via Amazon for about $335, first quality. They arrived today, and they look pretty great! Very excited. The best news is that I had credit through Amazon from returning some MyHabit shoes I ordered several months ago, so I paid about $160 to the front door. They arrived in an AE cardboard shipping box direct from AE!

I first took a damp paper towel and gave em a good wipe down, then brushed em for about 5 minutes. I then applied some AE cleaner conditioner with a small horsehair brush and brushed it in pretty good. I let that sit for a bit and then brushed em again and laced em up.

I ordered some neutral Saphir shell cordovan polish whatever. I will wear the new shoes a few times with some brushing in between to remove any film (forget what it's called), and then will try out the neutral shell polish (very light amount), and see what develops.

FYI, I can now say from experience with my seconds, black shell cambridges what I have read here and elsewhere, use a very small amount of shell polish. If you use more, like what you might use with AE polish on calfskin, then it becomes a big, clumpy, gooey mess. I learned this a few weeks ago when I applied an excessive amount to one black cambridge and a minimal amount to the second shoe. The second shoes shines up real nice with minimal effort, whereas the gooey shoe took substantially more effort and didn't shine up as nice.

My new brown shell Strands!!!
    [​IMG]

Out of the box.
    [​IMG]

After the aforementioned brushing and conditioning. (Not saying they look amazing or anything, since I haven't polished them yet.)

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. sevenfoldtieguy

Nice shoe!! I also have it. IMO, the dark brown shell Strand is the best shoe AE makes.

5. seven7seven

seven7seven Senior member

Wow thank you so much for the tips, looks like the 11.5C is definitely worth a shot. Also one last thing, will the PA and Fifth Ave fit IDENTICAL? Because the 11E I tried was a Fifth, the rest have been Parks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

6. sevenfoldtieguy

The PA, Fifth Ave, and Strand, in my experience, fit very very similar. All, of course, are on the 5 last.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

+1, as long as they are all the same material (e.g. calf) they should have a similar fit.

8. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Congrats - they are beautiful

9. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

thanks for this info, I am having the exact same issue as[FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif] seven7seven.
    - I ordered a 9.5E in the park ave - width was good but the length was too long & heel was loose
    - received a 9E and the length seems to be a tad too short but width is good & heel is good
    - I plan to try a 9.5D tomorrow, would you recommend anything else?
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

10. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Is the AE recrafting service worth not having cheaper work done by local cobblers?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/RecraftingView?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=40000000001

I believe the standard service charge when I first got my strands was 100 dollars...now it's 125? Heel replacements for 50 dollars? Seems like most cobblers charge between 20-30 for that. Full heel and sole replacements are usually around 65-80 dollars as well compared to the 125 AE asks.

Going local seems like the much better option except you won't get the uppers refinished and you void the chance to get recrafting in the future if the sole is worked on. I'm assuming AE still allows recrafting if local cobblers do heel replacements? Thoughts and opinions?

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Looks like the code 12SUMMER is still valid today for Amazon. The Elgin is no longer even listed on the AE website. However most sizes still show up as in stock on Amazon. Certainly worth a try if your still interested in them.

12. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

$125 is a bit too much.

People were buying pairs of new AE 2nds for $100 last month. PA, 5A, Strands,...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

AE is interesting because some can be had at the re-craft pricepoint. However, there are a couple of instances where AE recrafting can be helpful. First, if the shoe is a certain style that is not regularly sold. Second, if you don't have a trusted cobbler who will do the job correctly, sending them back to AE ensures proper re-sole, in addition to (and probably most importantly) having it done on the actual last of the shoe.

Shoes can be tricky sometimes and if there is a shoe that fits well, has a footbed that has molded, and leather that has a nice patina, then recrafting is definitely the way to go.

14. mythage

mythage Senior member

$100 per pair for seconds? When was this and is the promotion still on?

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

It was a couple months ago. It usually happen once or twice a year (not exactly sure) done by the factory. Promotion is not on anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.