Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

[​IMG]

2. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Isn't it!? I didn't think I could pull them off either (well still that is arguably true according to some people here :p ), but I like them. They are different.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Alden Natty CXL is my favorite. After handling the natural AEs in store, I'd rather pay the Alden price premium.

4. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

+1

I bought a pair of tan and navy Finch in the recent sale, got them for $185 by buying a discounted gift card in B&S, but there's really no comparison between the natural steerhide used on these and natural CXL, which is much suppler and "pulls up" more.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  5. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

How does the 1-last fit (on most AE boots) compared to the 5 last or 7 last?

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The 1 last is fuller and rounder if that means anything. I would start TTS and work my way from there. I tried the Katmai. The toe box and heel were fine, but the mouth was huge. I couldn't close it around my ankle. Probably too big, but I went with the suede Neumok instead.

7. RossPirelli

RossPirelli Member

Just ordered 4 pair of cedar shoe trees and two cedar shoe racks. Used the SHIPJULY code and the FATW10 code. Ended up paying $43 for everything. Great posts.

8. evolved

evolved Senior member

I wear 11B in the 5 last (Strands) and just recently got a pair of boots on the 1 last (Bayfield) in the same 11B size.....no problems.

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I'm pretty much a solid 10D on both the 1 last and 5 in shoes with the exception of the black hills (rough collection) where I had to drop down to 9.5D. Both lasts fit me well the #5 maybe a little bit better than the #1. Because of all the pictures the bastages on here are posting I am ordering the McTavish in natural and Rutledge in walnut, I will start with a 9.5D in both of those also.

Each boot is a slightly different fit even on the same last. Malverin is on 1 last but was just too narrow in the toebox no matter what size I tried, ended up returning it. Cascade is on the 4 last and has a lot of room, enough for heavier socks and fits me very well. I thought they were too long at first but creased perfectly. I like them a lot and use them for the fall, winter, and spring. Yuma is 800 last and I really should have sized up at least a half size in length and likely width too. Dalton on 1 last (shell) has plenty of room, in fact too much in the heel area. Bayfield is on the 1 last and snug enough I will not be wearing them with heavy socks. But fit my foot the best of any boot so far if I am walking long distances. Katmai is also 1 last and a fair amount of room all the way around, they fit me very well also. My opening at the throat is fine in my case and I am wearing them a lot this summer. They are my first suede boot in many years and I am really liking them a lot. They are on closeout for $219 right now, which is a fair price for a lined suede chukka of that quality IMO.

10. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

I ordered two more since I realized that this is quite a good deal. The Free shipping code (SHIPJULY) stopped working though, so I just called them and added it to my previous order. All good![​IMG]

11. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Wow thanks! Exactly the detailed description I was looking for!

12. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

(Double post)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  13. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out. This will be my first AE purchase, and looking at a pair of Cliftons (8 last from what I have read on this forum) I have no experience w/ their last, and hope someone can chime in on sizing. I wear 7.5 in Alden Barrie/Trubalance. Should I buy a 7.5 or an 8 in this shoe?

14. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Honestly with a shoe like this, you need to just try it on. This is a common shoe they have at Nordstroms as well, so it might be worth heading to a local one if you have any in the area. If not, AE is very good with exchanges. If you feel you need a different size, ship it back and they will get another size to you within a reasonable amount of time.

Also, check out the reviews on their website and see what others have commented on the fit/sizing.

15. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.