Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

SouthNarc, have you considered using Saphir's clear creme and wax? With the wonderful burnishing on those shoes, I would be hesitant to mess with the color. On the shoecare thread, many of the posters swear by the Saphir clear products for shoes with interesting antiquing or burnishing.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The McClains are on the 8 last. I would also be very surprised if AE discontinued its 2 last in light of how popular the Williams and Players' shoes are.

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

If you're ordering from the site, they offer free shipping both ways. Maybe give it a try and see how sizing works?

Someone here mentioned that the 2 last was made specifically for a senior executive at AE. If that is true, it seems pretty careless that they didn't recognize that this person has an unusually narrow foot. If you read reviews on any of the 2 last shoes on the AE site, you'll see many people complaining that the shoes fit poorly. A lot of comments seem to come from people who just expect all AE shoes to fit consistently; but you'd think this is a different enough fit that they would mention in the description that it fits very narrow.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

4. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

My mistake, you are correct. I was going between a couple of different tabs and was looking at the wrong one. Maybe I'll give it a try then.

5. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The Players' shoe has been on clearance recently, though. It was available in the 2 for $200 sale that the outlet stores had recently.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

It's not on clearance - listed as a normal priced AE shoe on the website. Also, IIRC, Strands and Fifth Avenues were also part of the 2 for $200 sale. No chance those are being phased out, so would not read too much into that fact.

7. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

I actually have and purchased Saphir neutral wax at same time time I bought the medium and light browns. When I opened the cans and jars the Med. Brown really looked a PERFECT match for my Rutledges, so I used that color in creme and wax. So far so good! I don't really use alot of product when I condition and shine. I know I'm dating myself, but when I first learned to spit-shine circa' 1984 all the guys I was on active duty with tried every concievable combination of neutral and even blue polish on the toe caps of their jump boots to try and get that last little "pop". I'm not sure any of that mojo ever really made a difference. Reducing friction when one polishes really seems to be the key (for me) along with finishing with a nylon stocking stretched over my hand. In fact I keep my layers thin enough where I've stopped using a brush all together and strictly use the pantyhose to buff. Works pretty damn well!

8. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Disagree, I wear brown with navy regularly, as do many, many others. Moreover, I don't think this suit is black: looks more like grey to me.

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Interesting thing about the Nordstrom version, they picture it with a poron insole and AE's danite like sole on their website. Hmmm...

10. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

In my experience, I had to size up by 1/2 size for the Players from Nordstrom (this was 2 years ago, and I assume it's the same now).

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

If they have it in black, you should get a commission. I'm been thinking I need a sleek black mock toe to wear with a charcoal pants/sport coat combo and that another rubber soled shoe would be a nice change of pace.

12. sammymvpknight

sammymvpknight Member

I wear brown with Navy as well. But not dark Navy or dark charcoal. The shoes stand out to much and don't compliment the outfit. I think that his shoes are way to lite for his suit. Just a preference.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Any thoughts on whether the Parkway's seams are too pronounced? I'm really liking the shoe's silhouette and three eyelet design, but feel like the large seams are taking away from the dressy/sleekness factor.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking this would be a great shoe if it had the Delray's subtle seams for the split toe design.

[​IMG]

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I think some of us are talking about brown shoes in general (in most cases, dark burnished brown), while others are specifically talking about the walnut strands shown in the picture. I think there is a world of difference between the Allen Edmonds burnished brown and walnut.

15. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

part of the 2 for $200 (that I missed)? Dang, making me second guess the value of $220+tax for firsts...

how often do they have these 2/200 sales? Probably going to be a while since the last one was only a few months ago, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.