Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

You should see what some of the Wall St. boys are wearing now-a-days...

2. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Hey Guys. Looking for a casual pair to wear with chinos or jeans: Players or McTavish? Both can be had for about the same price, $220+tax (unless you guys know of somewhere else cheaper). Thanks

[​IMG] or [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  3. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Both work - My preference is players

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I'd choose the walnut Players, but both are good choices.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Sizing on the Players shoe is trickier than the McTavish. I recommend going in for a fitting first. If you are familiar with both lasts and know which size fits well, then the Players shoe is a slightly better choice.

6. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

i am REALLY loving the Rutledge in black... i have two pairs of Hugo Boss black shoes, one a lace up derby, one slip on... both "sharp and sleek" looking, but after turning to AE, my taste in shoes have changed tremendously. I need a black oxford, and this shoe is really growing on me.

$450 tho... not easy to swallow that price after picking up neumoks and cordovan strands on the same day...

7. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Try them on and see what you like. Don't forget the Neumoks as well. They are $30 more expensive, however I think it is well worth it if you would consider the blue or olive to go with jeans. I went with the blue, and if the olives go on sale, I will buy those without thinking twice. Awesome shoe, lots of compliments, and they are VERY comfortable...

8. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Been searching through this AE thread to read about the Players and its tricky 2 last.

I'll probably just order the Players and see how it goes. Free return if it doesn't fit. Thanks, guys.

9. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

I'm not a blucher guy in general, but I agree with the Players shoe for casual wear.

10. sartorialnoob

How does the 2 last compare to the 5? I wear a 9E in the 5 last (PA and Strands).

I've been thinking about the McAllister as my first wingtip purchase from AE, but the McClain looks very good to me as well. Has anyone seen them in person to compare?

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

You can find numerous comments in this thread about it, but the gist is that the 2 is very narrow - enough that a lot of people can't wear it at all. It's worth trying it on in person before you buy. If you wear an E width, I feel safe in saying there's no way the 2 will fit unless you size up - its D feels like a B.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Ask if you can exchange these for a different pair. Something about that indentation/discoloration makes me think this might be a defect that does not go away with polishing.

13. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I have seen both which are very nice, however i like the brogue stitching much better on the McAllister, especially on the side of the shoes. The side of the McClain makes it look "adidas-y" IMO. Regardless they are both nice, but I fell in love with the merlot McAllisters from the second I saw them, which is what I am wearing today.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Thanks for sharing, Jubei. These look very nice.

Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel [​IMG]

For your consideration, the Parkway, new AE shoe on the new 333 last:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. sartorialnoob

Thank you.

It looks like they are discontinuing the 2 last and that may be why. The merlot McClains are listed for $249 on the AE site, but if that's how they size, I may have to keep looking. It's a shame as I love the look of the McClain. The spacing between leather edges, lack of "edging" along the brogueing, and more subtle medallion all combine for a bit more formal look, IMO. Unfortunately, I don't live near a store to try them on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.