1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

The walnut shell boots above are straight from the factory back in the spring, as are these Cambridges (at the same time):
    [​IMG]

It appears that the new burgundy finish has a darker red hue, in addition to being shinier. I think all this started with the CEO stating that they would be using a new finishing method on their shell offerings.

2. imainish

imainish Senior member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Do you suspect that your Cambridges have the new finishing? Yours look darn shiny as it is! Great shoes.

4. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

About 340 plus tax during the sale.

5. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

so i had a dream last night that i tried on a pair of AE's at some random shoe store... seriously looked like a payless but they had 3 AE's in the store. Random, but I asked to try on a pair of Adams since the other two were ugly and old. The lady came out with a pair of loafers from Fossil (lol do they even make shoes?) and said "The Allen Edmonds is a very expensive shoe, even after we take 38% off"

I looked at her with two heads, told her I already own 4 pairs and that I still want to try them on, then I woke up.

Fin

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Shell is slightly looser than calf, but not much. I have 40 shell models: mostly shoes; some boots. But that's not what was asked. What was asked was whether he should go to a B width or a D width - and the question was asked in light of the fact that he is a C width in the PA.

His question/comment was: Hmm so I am a 10C in Park Aves... what do go in 5th street cordovan (only B and D widths available...). IIRC people say cordovan fits slightly tighter than calf? So maybe the D...?

And my answer was: You risk the B being unwearable and the D being slightly loose, yet wearable. I'd go D.

I'll stick with my answer, but it goes without saying that both widths should be tried on (or ordered) to determine the best fit.

7. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

I remember people said that AE's burgundy shell is lighter in color when compared to Alden's. They are both Horween's shell (I suppose they are both #8), so I guess it's the finishing methods that they use differ. I wonder how the new finishing method compare.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

And I'll stick to your answer also, it is a good one. While I find that AE shell can be slightly loose it hasn't been a full size loose in either length or width IME. I would start with a 10D also. It is easier to take up a little bit of extra space with thicker socks than if it is too tight, that can not be changed so easy.

9. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

How are your soles so clean? Mine are turning black on the bottom?

10. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Just picked up the Neumora and sized down from a 11D (Van Ness), 10.5 E (Lombard) to 10.5 D. Did anyone else size down? Also how do I keep the leather soles clean? I've only worn my once and they are already turning black on the bottom....

11. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

The width I didn't adjust, however the 9D fit perfect compared to the 9.5D that i usually get with the 5 last....

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

A quick compliment on AE customer service:

Using the online chat option on the AE website, I asked the associate (Melissa) what length wax laces are needed for the Dalton dress boot. She replied 48". The website only lists 27", 30" & 33" as options for wax laces. So...she offered to mail me a pair free of charge. Now that's service!

13. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

If thats not a "she wants my dick" scenario, I don't know what is

14. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

We will see - if AE is able to get the shininess up, while keeping the color lighter than Alden's #8 they will have a win in my book.

Thanks - I don't think they have the new finishing, as they were manufactured some time prior to March of 2012 (when I got them), but maybe...

15. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

She did seem quite "friendly" for an online customer service rep, but, for all I know, 'Melissa' is an Indian guy named Pritesh.

16. lostron

lostron Senior member

I wonder when they will have burgundy shell daltons as second

17. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Just a followup to this: I stopped by an AE store and tried on both 8.5E's and another pair of 9D's.

The bowing was DEFINITELY a manufacturer defect, and not an issue of the length being too long. While the 8.5E's were probably also acceptable as a size on me, they were a bit snug in the toe. The 9D's are a touch long, but the new pair they offered me had ZERO bowing in the left foot. The new pair has very mild bowing in the right foot, but it's acceptable to me.

Thanks to AE for helping me exchange this - I thought I had just bought the wrong size.

18. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

My new AEs go through different phases when I buy them, as far as the sole goes. At first, there are just some light colored scuffs. After a wear or two, they start to turn black on the bottom. Once I reach about a dozen wears, the black actually wears off and they start too look full of just light colored scuffs again, like in the picture posted above.

19. scruffy

scruffy Member

On the Neumora's ageing, mine looked like that after one wear. Of greatest concern was the creasing through the toe cap (yours seem to be doing the same). It seems the toe stiffner does not run all the way back to the end of the toe cap. I sent them to Customer Service for an opinion and they are exchanging them (merlot McCallisters on their way), props for AE Customer Service...

20. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.