1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

2. classicgrey

classicgrey Well-Known Member

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

thanks man, updated to reflect Clifton and Nathan.

the JAB Nathan looks really good, i hadn't seen pictures of it before.

4. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

How do you think it is possible to get the Daltons for cheap (like seconds)? I saw some people have bought them for $149 from the factory - what kind of sale should I look out for? I am dying for a pair of the chocolate calf daltons

TIA!!!

5. classicgrey

classicgrey Well-Known Member

Factory seconds have defects. You're talking about a shoe that is already a good value for the money. As a retailer I'm biased, but save up and get what you want.

6. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I don't mind the seconds! I just can't get over how beautiful I think they are.

7. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

droool...my walnut cordovan dalton seconds are in the mail...here's to hoping there's nothing too wrong with them!

8. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

one wonders how much of it is just polishing and brushing...i remember a previous post with some nice photos of a burgundy shell full brogue with a very nice shine, presumably on the older finish.

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Stolen from another poster in the Meermin thread:

[​IMG]

The Alden (right) is the glossiest of the bunch by a good amount while the AE (middle) is the least glossy. No amount of brushing to my shell Leeds could equal that luster - it took a good amount of polishing. There's a lot to the finishing.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  10. meister

meister Senior member

Modern AE shell is inferior to Alden (shine/lustre wise) despite coming from the same factory... so go figure!

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Hmm so I am a 10C in Park Aves... what do go in 5th street cordovan (only B and D widths available...). IIRC people say cordovan fits slightly tighter than calf? So maybe the D...?

12. zchen

zchen Senior member

Got the blue neumoks today, are these narrower than other 5 last shoes? I got them in 6.5E, although the fit is good, I'm not able to lace the tops close together like I can with my Strands, Elgin, Cambridge and Fifth Streets in the same size, Still get a small V...Does it have to do with the unlined upper? Then I recall reading that these are actually wider due to the unlined upper, confused now.

13. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

They fit identical to my strands and mcallisters, so idk... wear them a few times. My strands and mc's i fully close when i lace up, however give them a few wears to break in a bit. Also, don't forget that your foot will swell as the day does on, so tomorrow morning when you wake up, they might fit like a glove.

Rock the red laces too... so many compliments on them its not even funny...

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Interesting.

This has not been my experience.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

You risk the B being unwearable and the D being slightly loose, yet wearable. I'd go D.

16. zchen

zchen Senior member

I think I will be returning the Neumoks to the shoe bank and dropping by the local store to see if a different size will fit better or if it could be the nature of them being seconds. It just fit so different than my other 5 last shoes in 6.5E. Their fit remind me of when I tried the McTavish in 7D, that too had some Vs when I laced them. I sure did like the color and feeling of the unlined leather though. Hopefully I can find the right fit.

17. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for your reply. The insight is much appreciated, and you are dead on. The majority of my co-workers are in square toed shoes, etc. I've been slowly adding slacks to my wardrobe, and I agree wholeheartedly with what you've mentioned.

18. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

how much were they as seconds?

19. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

In my experience, it goes the other way. Shell is a looser fit than calf.

20. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.