• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the bare essentials I should have to care for my Walnut Strands? What's good polish?

norite

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the difference between the Macneil Black Calf and the Macneil Black Custom Calf is? I saw both listed on the list provided by Shoebank but I have not a clue what the differences are. However, the customs were $100 more than the non-customs.

Also, when I emailed Shoebank for an updated list on seconds, they also listed some Closeouts. Are the Closeouts seconds as well or are they firsts that they are trying to get rid of?

charliebrown2

Reaction score

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anybody know what the difference between the Macneil Black Calf and the Macneil Black Custom Calf is? I saw both listed on the list provided by Shoebank but I have not a clue what the differences are. However, the customs were $100 more than the non-customs.

Also, when I emailed Shoebank for an updated list on seconds, they also listed some Closeouts. Are the Closeouts seconds as well or are they firsts that they are trying to get rid of?

Others can correct me if I am wrong but I believe "custom" calf is the sanded shiny finish on calf similar to Church's binder leather (which other term 'corrected' grain), not sure though.

facet

Reaction score

I need some polish advice.

I have recently acquired the Jefferson and the Flatiron.  Both in Walnut.  These are my first AE shoes in walnut and I am not sure which polish is best.  I have seen the AE walnut creme and without applying it, the color just doesn't look right to me.  Any better options out there?

I just got the Jefferson as well (love it) and have just been using their standard walnut polish on it, which I also used on my Augustas before I sold them. I also have neutral shoe cream that I use on occasion. So far, I haven't had any problems.

SouthNarc

Reaction score

I need some polish advice.

I have recently acquired the Jefferson and the Flatiron.  Both in Walnut.  These are my first AE shoes in walnut and I am not sure which polish is best.  I have seen the AE walnut creme and without applying it, the color just doesn't look right to me.  Any better options out there?

db I use Saphir exclusively. Creme for color and wax for shine/protection. For my Rutledges in AEs "Burnished" variation of Walnut, I went with Saphir Med. Brown creme and wax. For my Strands which are just the regular Walnut color I use Saphir Light Brown creme and wax, which actually seems to be a better color match than AEs own product.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score
So, I just received my pair of Rutledge 2nd's and sadly, I'm contemplating a return. The shoes are fantastic looking overall, but there is something about the toebox areas on each that just doesn't look right to me. The rectangular discolorations have a slight indent to them. Anyone have an idea what could have caused this? Could polishing help minimize the visibility of the flaw?

I'm usually not one to take issue with the condition of the seconds I receive, but this will probably bother me a bit, since it's on the most visible portion of the shoe.

Last edited:

ddsg

Reaction score
Can anyone with a pair of walnut jefferson's post a picture? There are very few non product shots out and the color and sheen of the leather seems to vary a good deal...

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I just received my pair of Rutledge 2nd's and sadly, I'm contemplating a return. The shoes are fantastic looking overall, but there is something about the toebox areas on each that just doesn't look right to me. The rectangular discolorations have a slight indent to them. Anyone have an idea what could have caused this? Could polishing help minimize the visibility of the flaw?
I'm usually not one to take issue with the condition of the seconds I receive, but this will probably bother me a bit, since it's on the most visible portion of the shoe.

What size are they?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your consideration, the Parkway, new AE shoe on the new 333 last:

This is the mysterious shoe also on sale for the Nordstrom Anniversary sale. It's a nice sleek looking mock toe, I think I'm picking this one up.

tsekh

Reaction score

Yea, the discoloration of the captoe looks weird. Any other noticeable flaws on it?

I'm contemplating getting a pair of Dalton seconds. But haven't ordered AE seconds before, not really sure what to expect.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, the discoloration of the captoe looks weird. Any other noticeable flaws on it?
I'm contemplating getting a pair of Dalton seconds. But haven't ordered AE seconds before, not really sure what to expect.

I own several pairs of AE seconds. From my experience, in most cases there is no noticeable defect. In the worst case so far, there was some mild splitting on a small part of the seam but it did not affect the structural integrity of the shoe.

In general, I favor buying seconds way over considering used shoes. Also, the defects on the seconds tend to be minor compared to ebay "new with defect" ones (in which case I've seen ripped leather... seriously).

However, when AE's go on sale (like the Nordstrom sale coming up), firsts on sale is the way to go, considering the price difference for firsts on sale and seconds is minimal at that point. Speaking of which, time to grab another pair of strands and maybe mctavishes!

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call customer service and ask them if they will refinish the shoes or at least give you a discount on refinishing.

reydogg23

Reaction score
JubeiSpiegel - Those look great. Thanks for sharing I know most of us have been wondering what the Parkway looked like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads