Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

What are the bare essentials I should have to care for my Walnut Strands? What's good polish?

2. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

3. norite

norite Member

Does anybody know what the difference between the Macneil Black Calf and the Macneil Black Custom Calf is? I saw both listed on the list provided by Shoebank but I have not a clue what the differences are. However, the customs were $100 more than the non-customs.

Also, when I emailed Shoebank for an updated list on seconds, they also listed some Closeouts. Are the Closeouts seconds as well or are they firsts that they are trying to get rid of?

4. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Others can correct me if I am wrong but I believe "custom" calf is the sanded shiny finish on calf similar to Church's binder leather (which other term 'corrected' grain), not sure though.

6. facet

facet Senior member

I just got the Jefferson as well (love it) and have just been using their standard walnut polish on it, which I also used on my Augustas before I sold them. I also have neutral shoe cream that I use on occasion. So far, I haven't had any problems.

7. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

db I use Saphir exclusively. Creme for color and wax for shine/protection. For my Rutledges in AEs "Burnished" variation of Walnut, I went with Saphir Med. Brown creme and wax. For my Strands which are just the regular Walnut color I use Saphir Light Brown creme and wax, which actually seems to be a better color match than AEs own product.

8. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

So, I just received my pair of Rutledge 2nd's and sadly, I'm contemplating a return. The shoes are fantastic looking overall, but there is something about the toebox areas on each that just doesn't look right to me. The rectangular discolorations have a slight indent to them. Anyone have an idea what could have caused this? Could polishing help minimize the visibility of the flaw?

I'm usually not one to take issue with the condition of the seconds I receive, but this will probably bother me a bit, since it's on the most visible portion of the shoe.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  9. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

Can anyone with a pair of walnut jefferson's post a picture? There are very few non product shots out and the color and sheen of the leather seems to vary a good deal...

10. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

What size are they?

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

For your consideration, the Parkway, new AE shoe on the new 333 last:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the mysterious shoe also on sale for the Nordstrom Anniversary sale. It's a nice sleek looking mock toe, I think I'm picking this one up.

12. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Yea, the discoloration of the captoe looks weird. Any other noticeable flaws on it?

I'm contemplating getting a pair of Dalton seconds. But haven't ordered AE seconds before, not really sure what to expect.

13. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I own several pairs of AE seconds. From my experience, in most cases there is no noticeable defect. In the worst case so far, there was some mild splitting on a small part of the seam but it did not affect the structural integrity of the shoe.

In general, I favor buying seconds way over considering used shoes. Also, the defects on the seconds tend to be minor compared to ebay "new with defect" ones (in which case I've seen ripped leather... seriously).

However, when AE's go on sale (like the Nordstrom sale coming up), firsts on sale is the way to go, considering the price difference for firsts on sale and seconds is minimal at that point. Speaking of which, time to grab another pair of strands and maybe mctavishes!

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Call customer service and ask them if they will refinish the shoes or at least give you a discount on refinishing.

15. reydogg23

reydogg23 Senior member

JubeiSpiegel - Those look great. Thanks for sharing I know most of us have been wondering what the Parkway looked like.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.