1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chogall

chogall Senior member

cordovan has thick beefy rolls/creases. not every brown shoes are cordo.

and no, they are just calf.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Mexicutioner, this has turned into a great list, as shown by the many people who contributed. I'll add that the Clifton is still available through Nordstrom, just as someone mentioned the McClain is still at JAB.

The 8 happens to be my favorite last, and it seems that a lot of other agree. So my question is - why are they reducing the number of models on this last? I mean, they wouldn't have all of the models shown here at any one time, but why only three, of which two (LaSalle and Delray) are similar? Is there another last that they consider to be the "replacement" for the 8? Maybe the 3 or the 6? Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on this?

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

Nice collection.

The seemingly narrower welt might be due to the difference between cordovan and calf.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

It seems like AE is introducing most of its new shoes on the 5 last and 3 last and limiting its 8 last shoes. The Delray is not going anywhere, but I've noticed a recent trend by AE to introduce 8 last shoes as closeouts. For example, I had never heard of the McClains or Parklands before, but both of these 8 last shoes showed up as closeouts at $250. I wonder if we will continue to see more of this in the future and whether the 8 last will dominate this category.

5. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I couldn't really tell from the creasing of the small pic, however when they started talking about the patina, i thought they were referencing the fact that they are shell. Shell walnut is rather darker, however I've seen pics before where they look almost mustard-like, so the color could be just the pic. But I agree, they are calf....

Who said that every brown shoe is cordovan? I was talking about the walnut strands as they were referencing the "patina" on them...

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Just thought I would liven up the conversation with a few pics I found of my walnut calf Daltons vs my walnut shell Daltons:
    Calf:
    [​IMG]

Shell:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Nice boots. Only a true fan finds it within himself to pony up the dough for essentially the same boot - one in calf, one in shell. :slayer:

8. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

9. imainish

imainish Senior member

333 last is a winner......hoping to get some Parkways next

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

bucksfan mentioned it back a couple hundred pages ago and asked if maybe it could have an effect on bowing. I'm wearing my shell Cambridge today where the right shoe has started to exhibt minor bowing. I took them off and put them on my desk and pushing the heel flat on the right shoe the sole is still flat on the desk. On the left shoe which does not bow I push the heel flat and the sole lifts about 3/8" off the desk. Interestering....

Yes please let us know what they say and how it goes for you.

The right shoe of my Jefferson's has been slick on tile since the day I got them. I almost posted to ask if anyone else has had this problem when last week the very bottom rubber of the heels started to come off. Which isn't a bad thing in this case. Under the rubber part of the heel is a large carriage bolt like head. It was pushing up on the right heel and creating a very small bump much like a roller bearing which is what was causing the shoe to be slipping on hard tile. I will have my cobbler carve out some of the hard rubber in the bottom of the heel to allow room for the bolt head before he glues it back down and it should solve that problem. Other than that I haven't had a problem with them being uncomfortable and now wonder if the heels have pitch or not. And yes they do look great!

Nice! I have the brown 5th St. wish I could afford all 6 webgem boots LOL. You know you might as well just order 3 sets of shoe trees right now, just saying.... Looking forward to the pictures.

11. csc67

csc67 Senior member

How does the 333 compare to the 5 last?

12. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

Good lord! I need these.

13. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I have two thoughts on these images:

1. Whenever I am given the choice between shell and calf, from here on out it's either shell or save my money.
    2. If Allen Edmonds were to take product shots outside in natural light rather than in a sterile lightbox, their website would go from blah to YOWZA.

14. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

After picking up my first pair of shells, I am inclined to say the same for #1. Finding a good fit is considerably harder for shell though, I have to say. I have considerable bowing with my shell strands vs no bowing on my calf ones because of the looser upper (higher instep) of the shell model. It doesnt really bother me though because it is covered by my trousers, but nonetheless, a sign of an imperfect fit. Has anyone else experienced this with their shell models, and can this be rectified during the recrafting process?

15. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Giving those calf Daltons a proper shine may change opinions, or at least level the playing field a bit...

I prefer shell, personally, but calf can be mirrored as opposed to the rather matte looking boot pictured.

16. evolved

evolved Senior member

+10000 for the bold/underlined point. Their website pictures are just awful.

17. jimney

jimney Senior member

So does this mean they will apply the new style finish to all models? I could see myself wanting a burgundy Leeds with the new style finishing.

18. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

It seems as though they would convert everything to the new finish in time, but in the near term you probably run some risk of having old stock delivered to your door.

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Quote:
    The topline can be tightened some during recrafting however it can't fix bowing beyond a certain point. It doesn't matter if the shoe is calf or shell it should not make a difference in the collar opening, which is where I measure to see if a shoe has bowing. Your strands should measure the same distance between the calf and shell models. To measure I remove the laces and tie the top eyelets together. Then spread the opening with calipers until you can just start to see the tension on the laces:

[​IMG]

My #1 lasted shoes are ALL the same, 2.4" in size 10D including calf and shell Leeds. The pair above which bowed badly from the factory measured 3.1" and QA told me they were defective when I returned them. Not sure what my #5 lasted shoes measured right now but IIRC they were smaller. But again all consistent.

20. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.