• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Lack of steel shank is huge..if AE's weighed more I believe more many would have a different opinion to the good side. People who jump to Alden and are impressed often by literally the wieght which mentally makes it seem so much better...sort of like folks who judge a restaurant by the quantity of food on their plate not the quality.

FYI I am in no way comparing Alden to 36 ounce "Select" beef as opposed to a Prime Ribe Eye...Just saying the first time I held an Alden boot I was taken by the weight and the first time I held a Viberg I was in awe of the weight...I now put no stock in weight of the boot or shoe...but it took me a while to get there.

I've purchased a few pairs of Aldens on eBay just to see if I could form an opinion on lasts/sizing etc. I was definitely impressed with the substantial weight although I did not find a fitment match.

Curious, Alden fans. Is the additional weight all good? If you were traveling and on your feet for 15 hours for example, do your legs notice...or is the added stability 100% favorable?

While I am not currently shopping, I remain optimistic that I might eventually dial in my size with Alden and own a few items...Tankers and Indies especially.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Normandy boots on the Bay a few days ago. They arrived today. Tried them on to check the fit, and haven't taken them off yet; I don't want to. I feel like going for a run. I may never wear sneakers again.
Could not agree more...they are terrific...going to be wearing mine today

5-last sizing on the Normandy? I seemed to recall you deciding between 2 different sizes, @Kahuna75 ?

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of...
In terms of fit, I can take the same 9D across the Strand, Rush and McT, but E in strand is preferable. I'd say the McT are the roomiest and the Rush Street in between.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up a pair of Normandy boots on the Bay a few days ago.  They arrived today.  Tried them on to check the fit, and haven't taken them off yet; I don't want to.  I feel like going for a run.  I may never wear sneakers again.

Could not agree more...they are terrific...going to be wearing mine today

5-last sizing on the Normandy? I seemed to recall you deciding between 2 different sizes, @Kahuna75
?

For the B34 last I go with 65 last length and in 65 I wear an e or eee so the D width b64 works great. If I we going to wear heavy legit boot socks I would go up a size

I still don't know how everyone gets such great shots of their shoes and make their pants look good...lol

NorseHorse

Reaction score
Walnut First Aves today. I absolutely love the 201 last. This is probably my favorite pair of the 4 I own. I'll be getting a pair of seconds in burnished brown to match.

I've heard some people say they don't like walnut with Navy blue but I must respectfully disagree.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP

Me too! Had a really crappy day at work yesterday, so decided to wear mine today. The fit is so perfect, they still feel like the leather was laid-up around my feet and magically stitched together that way! I've also noticed they're really light (vs. Cambridge shell, Randolph calf) Does that make any sense?

Felt like a million bucks today!

(Sorry did not snap a new pic today)
Good choice. I have Alden shell and other makes shell and my AE shell is always the lightest. Maybe it's the lack of a shank or they use thinner shell hide (?). Also, my shell dalton boots (unlined) are crazy light too. I don't mind.

Lack of steel shank is huge..if AE's weighed more I believe more many would have a different opinion to the good side. People who jump to Alden and are impressed often by literally the wieght which mentally makes it seem so much better...sort of like folks who judge a restaurant by the quantity of food on their plate not the quality.

FYI I am in no way comparing Alden to 36 ounce "Select" beef as opposed to a Prime Ribe Eye...Just saying the first time I held an Alden boot I was taken by the weight and the first time I held a Viberg I was in awe of the weight...I now put no stock in weight of the boot or shoe...but it took me a while to get there.

I've purchased a few pairs of Aldens on eBay just to see if I could form an opinion on lasts/sizing etc. I was definitely impressed with the substantial weight although I did not find a fitment match.

Curious, Alden fans. Is the additional weight all good? If you were traveling and on your feet for 15 hours for example, do your legs notice...or is the added stability 100% favorable?

While I am not currently shopping, I remain optimistic that I might eventually dial in my size with Alden and own a few items...Tankers and Indies especially.

Alden makes up my second most most brand of boots and shoes and I have not found the weight to be an issue at all...now that being said I weigh 250+ pounds so boots and shoes are like adding some pocket change to normal folks.....The only boot I have that I notice the wieght over time is a Viberg Horse Butt service boot on corded sole...the leather is the shell cordovan with the horse hide still attached so that is super thick and the corded sole is super heavy also.

Middlife

Reaction score
any major defects that made them seconds?

The only thing I've been able to find is some inconsistency with spacing between the stitching and the edge the sole. It seems to get a bit narrow on the top left size of each shoe (referencing the photo).

DapperDriver

Reaction score
Saw an e-mail about 20% off clearance... brown burnished McGregors in my size, $167.50 after tax. Will be my fourth pair of AE's if I keep them, joining my bourbon Strands, walnut Kenilworths, and black Fifth Aves.

They seem to get a lot of love here, but I'm not sure if I like the LWB style. That said, I took a chance on those Kenilworths last year (seconds for $127) and I like them way more than I expected. Maybe the same thing will happen with these.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saw an e-mail about 20% off clearance... brown burnished McGregors in my size, $167.50 after tax.  Will be my fourth pair of AE's if I keep them, joining my bourbon Strands, walnut Kenilworths, and black Fifth Aves.

They seem to get a lot of love here, but I'm not sure if I like the LWB style.  That said, I took a chance on those Kenilworths last year (seconds for $127) and I like them way more than I expected.  Maybe the same thing will happen with these.

I would probably jump on this too. There are no 1st quality McGregors in my size though. (There are a few seconds available.)

DeathandTaxes

Reaction score
I've posted these pics here before. Both McT's are worth owning. The cognac are more versatile for me, but I'm really, really happy to have both.

LH7_3394_zpszlb1zcxd.jpg

LH7_3385_zpsqgms4ywx.jpg

LH7_3400_zpsvdyywuy8.jpg

The darker areas on the tan shoes aren't as prominent as they look in the pix. Love the look of that leather. The cognac is getting better with age (no pun intended...).

With all the nice looking McTavish's posted, I just happened to be wearing one of my pairs today. Such great and versatile shoes -

robster35

Reaction score

Saw an e-mail about 20% off clearance... brown burnished McGregors in my size, $167.50 after tax.  Will be my fourth pair of AE's if I keep them, joining my bourbon Strands, walnut Kenilworths, and black Fifth Aves.

They seem to get a lot of love here, but I'm not sure if I like the LWB style.  That said, I took a chance on those Kenilworths last year (seconds for $127) and I like them way more than I expected.  Maybe the same thing will happen with these.

the mcgregor is really nice. i picked up a pair a couple weeks ago in chili. HOWEVER one shoe was narrower than the other. measured 1/4 inch narrower in the pinky toe area in the right shoe. so i sent em back. hoping AE can hook me up with another pair somehow even tho it shows out of stock online. in the reviews on the AE site theres 2 reviews stating how one shoe measured wider than the other

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I were standing on my feet all day, I'm thinking manning a booth at a convention, I would reach for my double sole Alden longwings (w/a steel shank). I would not have thought this earlier since they are referred to as "gunboats" and look and seem substantial. They are heavy but I don't know how they do it. They provide excellent support and my feet don't feel like I've been standing all day when I get home or to the hotel. If I'm at my desk, sitting down, any single sole dress should will do.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they balk at doing it directly, ask them if the gift card can be used toward the cost of recrafting at the store.

Following up, they agreed to send me the shoes back to try and break in further. If they don't improve within 4 months they agreed to the recraft. This was an acceptable outcome for me since I definitely want to keep the shoes. Love my tan McTavish!

I like the McTavish so much I actually have a cognac on the way from shoebank. It was at the CAC, so hopefully it comes in great. Delivery is today. I can't wait to get home and open them up!

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP

Me too! Had a really crappy day at work yesterday, so decided to wear mine today. The fit is so perfect, they still feel like the leather was laid-up around my feet and magically stitched together that way! I've also noticed they're really light (vs. Cambridge shell, Randolph calf) Does that make any sense?

Felt like a million bucks today!

(Sorry did not snap a new pic today)
Good choice. I have Alden shell and other makes shell and my AE shell is always the lightest. Maybe it's the lack of a shank or they use thinner shell hide (?). Also, my shell dalton boots (unlined) are crazy light too. I don't mind.

Alden makes up my second most most brand of boots and shoes and I have not found the weight to be an issue at all...now that being said I weigh 250+ pounds so boots and shoes are like adding some pocket change to normal folks.....The only boot I have that I notice the wieght over time is a Viberg Horse Butt service boot on corded sole...the leather is the shell cordovan with the horse hide still attached so that is super thick and the corded sole is super heavy also.

If I were standing on my feet all day, I'm thinking manning a booth at a convention, I would reach for my double sole Alden longwings (w/a steel shank). I would not have thought this earlier since they are referred to as "gunboats" and look and seem substantial. They are heavy but I don't know how they do it. They provide excellent support and my feet don't feel like I've been standing all day when I get home or to the hotel. If I'm at my desk, sitting down, any single sole dress should will do.

Thanks both for the feedback. Looking forward another time to flirting with some Aldens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads