1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

Hello Gentleman,

I have been wearing my Fifth Streets in good health but noticed today they were fitting a bit tighter than last week. The distance between the vamps (or laces) looks to be more than other photos I have seen of Styleforum members wearing their boots. The distance between the vamps (in my photo) is where I get my best fit though. Should I have gotten a size wider or is this a non issue?

[​IMG]

Regards,
    GrensonMan

2. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Not an issue, as long as you aren't getting excessive pinching in the toe area. For shoes where the vamps don't come close, I prefer X lacing instead of bar-style (this is what I do with my 5th streets). Maybe that will give you a different look.

3. evolved

evolved Senior member

Can you post a picture of your brown CXL Bayfields after you treat them with HDLP? I've been told it will dull the shoe in a very serious way, but I'm interested in the waterproof-ness of HDLP.

4. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

Oh i thought you meant the Allen Edmonds label that they stitch on the side of the shoes

5. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

FYI - new Fall styles have just been added to AE's website, such as the Patriot and classic styles like the PA and Strand being offered with a tap sole.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

How long have you had them? I feel like my Fifth Streets stretched and the space between the lacing actually became smaller after several wears. This has been my experience with most of my shoes.

7. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

This is the third time I have worn them. Total time worn approximately 25 hrs.

8. spitshine123

One of the reasons I love this SF thread is because of the pictures, so here is the family

[​IMG]

A closeup of the little brother (newest pair of cordovan strands)

[​IMG]

...and the grandfather of the group (2 year old Strands- my first pair of AEs)

[​IMG]

As you can see, the 5 last bals fit me very well...I feel like I am missing a pair of Burgundy McAllisters [​IMG]

Keep the pics coming!

Edit: It is also interesting to see how much AE has worked on reducing the size of the welt within the past 2 years. Check out the width of the welt on the walnut strands vs the newer shoes!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  9. itsmarcnotmark

itsmarcnotmark Well-Known Member

I was wondering how often do you use guys wax your shoes? I just got my Saphir Renovateur and I'm wondering how often I should apply it. Also, do you guys use any products to take care of the soles?

10. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Nice collection... yes, Merlot McAllisters are awesome... love mine

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I know they are on the same last - but do you all wear exactly the same size and width in the Fifth St as in the Fifth Ave etc? I need a 10C, but they only come in B or D.

12. omgitswes

omgitswes Senior member

Decided to go with these Players instead..just came in today

[​IMG]

13. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I just got the players in chocolate suede. so beautiful

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Congrats! I got a quote today for the black shell Dundee but at the last minute second guessed myself. I really want the burgundy shell Dundee's too....

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

one of my biggest clothing-related disappointments are the players shoes in walnut i bought a few months back. i'm a perfect 10D in clifton, delray, etc, but for the life of me cannot wear the players.

9.5D was too tight in the forefoot, even after sending them to be professionally stretched.

10D (i bought them from nordstrom, and they let me return the 9.5D) is just too voluminous, especially in the ankle area.

they have sat in my closet unworn since december. :violin:

16. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

i take presents [​IMG]

17. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior member

Are those the Parkway's that are sitting next to your walnut Strands? I really like those and I am considering getting a pair. Seeing your family portrait is tempting me to put one together for those that I have.

18. spitshine123

Yep! Those are the Parkways. You should share a portrait of your AEs for us!

19. Costa

Costa Senior member

Nice collection. Do you put a shine on the walnut strands? I just cleaned mine last night (brush, saphir reno, then brush again), but those have a real nice shine on them. Mine are sort of matte.

20. Costa

Costa Senior member

Wore my identical fifth streets to the office today, they are close to a year old, and the distance between the vamp is very close, if not a hair tighter. I take an 11D. They are very comfortable and tend to be my bad weather shoe. Very happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.