• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the Yuma boot fit? Should I size up for thicker socks?

I would most certainly size up half a size. In my case it fits very poorly and are my only disappointment in an AE shoe\boot. It is no longer on the AE website but a customer had posted pictures of his in greyscale with what looks a 20 ga. AyA SxS shotgun. Even though I prefer my pipes to be stacked O\U I found it hard to resist purchasing the Yuma as I shoot a lot of shotgun sports and bird hunt most of the fall. His also looked to be the Nordstrom edition which is a solid color instead of the 2 tone AE version:

The reviews for it on the AE website are favorable for the most part. I found it fit me very strange and has very little support, I don't believe it has a shank at all. Soles are thin and you can feel rocks under your foot. It isn't quite a stalking boot but close. I purchased mine in 10D which is my standard size in #1 and #5 last with the exception of the waxy leather where I drop down to 9.5D. I will eventually sell mine and state that they are best suited for someone with a 9.5D or C foot. I own LL Bean bison chukkas and BB bison boots and put them both above the Yuma, but could have just been a bum pair of Yuma's that I ended up with. I have been using my AE Bayfield boots quite a bit for sporting clays and skeet and really like them for cooler and wet weather. For the last 6 weeks or so I have been shooting 2-3 times a week wearing my AE Kamai's and have really come to appreciate them a lot, head and shoulders above the Yuma. For actual bird hunting where walking 6-12 miles a day is the norm I wear boots intended for that, and will continue to do so.

harlequin782

Reaction score
you know, Ive given this a lot of consideration, and I know that what Im about to type will draw a lot of criticism and dissent, but Ill just come right on out and say it -- I dont own any shell shoes yet, but honestly: I like the look of Allen Edmonds shell better than Alden. There it is. I said it. I know its sacrilege, and the eggplant purple is the god of all shell, but really, after seeing the shells on this thread, I would much prefer particularly the burgundy shell on the Cambridge or McNeil, or the Cappicino shell of the Strands to any of the Aldens Ive seen so far. Im not arguing which shoemaker uses a better quality shell -- Im just saying that to my eye, in terms of pure aesthetics, Allen Edmonds shell looks better to me due to its color and color variation which contrasts, and compliments the stitching so much better in my opinion.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you know, Ive given this a lot of consideration, and I know that what Im about to type will draw a lot of criticism and dissent, but Ill just come right on out and say it -- I dont own any shell shoes yet, but honestly: I like the look of Allen Edmonds shell better than Alden. There it is. I said it. I know its sacrilege, and the eggplant purple is the god of all shell, but really, after seeing the shells on this thread, I would much prefer particularly the burgundy shell on the Cambridge or McNeil, or the Cappicino shell of the Strands to any of the Aldens Ive seen so far. Im not arguing which shoemaker uses a better quality shell -- Im just saying that to my eye, in terms of pure aesthetics, Allen Edmonds shell looks better to me due to its color and color variation.

Well, the important thing is that you are going to wear the shoes. So, you have to be happy with them. I'll tell you that I've been to the AE store a few times and looked at the shell line up. I've also been to Alden of NY, Alden DC, Gary's, and Leather Soul Beverly Hills. After looking at numerous pairs of shell, I prefer Alden. And it's not about the leather. Both AE and Alden use Horween shell. I've just found that the construction of the Alden shoes works better for me, particularly the insole. I also consider that the Alden shell, catalog models, are only about 12% more than AE shell. That's really not much of a price difference. Further consider that I can walk into an Alden shop and try on their shell for fit whereas AE only does shell via MTO. But again, if you prefer AE shell, go for it. It's a superb shoe.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

norite

Reaction score

Breedlove

Reaction score
Is brown burnished more versatile?
The Strand takes just more advantage of the Walnut color (more brogue = more contrast).
Plus, walnut is harder to pull off in formal situations. It's too loud/bright of a color.
If you plan on wearing the Fifth Aves to work, get it in brown (you already have black covered by the PAs).

jjr4884

Reaction score
Isn't that the beauty of cordovan though? Bringing out the finish on your own and watching the shoes get more beautiful over time?
My arms are definitely sore from today though lol...

Ironically yes... i loved every second of brushing them up the second i walked in the door. Definitely wearing them tomorrow....

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally would get the brown burnished. If I were to get a pair of shoes in Walnut, I would go with the Strands.

Is brown burnished more versatile?

The Strand takes just more advantage of the Walnut color (more brogue = more contrast).
Plus, walnut is harder to pull off in formal situations.  It's too loud/bright of a color.
If you plan on wearing the Fifth Aves to work, get it in brown (you already have black covered by the PAs).

Agree with all of this. Also, the AE brown is way underrated - it's a great color that stands on its own. And for some reason, it seems to have been discontinued on some models.

jjr4884

Reaction score
you know, Ive given this a lot of consideration, and I know that what Im about to type will draw a lot of criticism and dissent, but Ill just come right on out and say it -- I dont own any shell shoes yet, but honestly: I like the look of Allen Edmonds shell better than Alden. There it is. I said it. I know its sacrilege, and the eggplant purple is the god of all shell, but really, after seeing the shells on this thread, I would much prefer particularly the burgundy shell on the Cambridge or McNeil, or the Cappicino shell of the Strands to any of the Aldens Ive seen so far. Im not arguing which shoemaker uses a better quality shell -- Im just saying that to my eye, in terms of pure aesthetics, Allen Edmonds shell looks better to me due to its color and color variation which contrasts, and compliments the stitching so much better in my opinion.

i love AE, and even more i love my brown shell strands, but i might have to question what kind of consideration you really took

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/...s&browse_vendor=1&start=0&results_per_page=96

Notable shell colors - Ravello, Color 4, Cigar Shell, and Whiskey...... plus a handful more including many Color 8's which is your typical burgundy color, and some gorgeous black shells that look almost more like a super deep midnight blue. If I am not mistaken, both companies use Horween shell cordovan.

Breedlove

Reaction score
i love AE, and even more i love my brown shell strands, but i might have to question what kind of consideration you really took

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/...s&browse_vendor=1&start=0&results_per_page=96

Notable shell colors - Ravello, Color 4, Cigar Shell, and Whiskey...... plus a handful more including many Color 8's which is your typical burgundy color, and some gorgeous black shells that look almost more like a super deep midnight blue. If I am not mistaken, both companies use Horween shell cordovan.
They do use the same leather but Alden finishes their uppers differently.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold Iron- The AE version is two tone?

Yes it is. Mine were finished very poorly and I had the local cobbler dye them a solid darker color. More panels were dyed darker than what the AE website picture shows too. In hindsight I should have sent them back in the beginning and tried another pair. I do like the solid color better, although my LL Bean bison are also a similar two tone which Obenauf's leather oil helps tame down somewhat. And waterproofs bison leather very well-

Bean handsewn bison boot:

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys -

I'm going to be starting consulting (Post-MBA) and need to get all new shoes,

I'm thinking I'll get:

Black Park Avenue Cap-toe

But for my brown shoes, http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5705_1_40000000001_-1
what color do I want for fifth avenue? 

walnut calf or brown burnished?

Brown burnished is much more formal. The walnut can look slightly out of place if worn with a formal suit in a work environment since it stands out too much.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys -

I'm going to be starting consulting (Post-MBA) and need to get all new shoes,

I'm thinking I'll get:

Black Park Avenue Cap-toe

But for my brown shoes, http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5705_1_40000000001_-1
what color do I want for fifth avenue? 

walnut calf or brown burnished?

A walnut Fifth Avenue would look nice, but I assume that you will need one more dark colored shoe before you get something in a light color. If I were in your position, I'd probably acquire the following, in the order listed:

1. Black Park Avenue, in calf or shell cordovan
2. Brown Fifth Avenue or Fifth Street, if you like the idea of a balmoral dress boot
3. Merlot McAllister or burgundy shell cordovan Cambridge
4. Walnut Strand

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads