• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolved

Reaction score
What is the typical response time when emailing the shoebank? I sent them an email on Wednesday evening and never received a response.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better pic in natural light showing the nice burnishing.

I'm liking the looks of those a lot. Thanks for posting the pictures. I have the Jefferson in dark brown and would not hesitate to get another shoe in the Presidential Collection. From the online pics I would have never looked at those twice...

I have a question regarding polishing. I will be getting married in a year and will be wearing a tuxedo. I do not want to go the Mens Wearhouse route, so I will most likely look to buy an inexpensive one that I can get well tailored. As such, I will need to provide my own footwear. Tradition seems to be patent leather, and I know AE makes a patent leather shoe I could get, but that seems crazy to drop that much money on a pair of shoes I might never wear again (or at least won't for many years). So, I was also considering getting a nice pair of calf shoes and polishing them up real nice.

My question is: can/should black calf be polished to a high shine? Right now the black shoes I own include J&M Meltons, AE Delrays, and AE Bradleys. The Meltons seem to be a corrected grain leather, which as you all know is fairly shiny to begin with and seems to hold a very nice nice (I use black Kiwi wax on them). I've never done anything beyond conditioner cleaner and AE black premium polish on my Delrays and Bradleys . . . and the AE premium polish does not result in a shiny looking leather like the Kiwi does on the J&Ms.

I was thinking I would buy a pair of AE Park Avenues to replace the Meltons (which I got used anyway) when it gets closer to my wedding, but I would want them to be shined up real nice (to more or less achieve what patent leather would otherwise achieve). I'm not sure I've seen anyone actually do that with their black AEs, though. What would you guys recommend? I like my Delrays and Bradleys when I polish them with the premium polish, and I like that they don't have a tremendous shine or anything. But I would want my Park Aves to be much "shiner." I've read on here that putting something like Kiwi on good calf is a bad idea. What are my options?

Bulling shoes are fine. It takes practice though so I recommend trying it out on your new shoes way before the wedding.
smile.gif
After the ceremony, and when you want your shoes less shiny, just use some leather cleaner (I use RenoMat and it is AWESOME... better than Lexol for sure) and it will take out the wax build-up. Personally, I have a pair of Canali that is corrected that I use with my tux (no shame in owning corrected grain).
Also, can you clarify what you mean by "putting something like Kiwi on good calf is a bad idea" since manufacturers such as EG use Kiwi brand polish. Been using them for years (and also Saphir) and nothing bad has happened.

I agree 100% with dsmivtr. About 50 pages back I have pictures of my old cobbler leather Shelton's that I did with RenoMat and couldn't be happier with the results. Great stuff and will do exactly what you want as dsmivtr said. AE premium polish has conditioner in it and you will not get a mirror finish with it. There are some on this site that knock Kiwi but you can't believe every thing you read on the Internet
smile.gif
. I own a pair of Navy steel toed cap toe engineer boots that are at least 30 years old. Haven't spit shined them in the last 10 years LOL and now I only wear them when using the chainsaw around the house cutting downed trees or firewood. But with a little work they could pass an inspection tomorrow if needed with a glass like finish. I have only used Kiwi on them all this time. And they have spent their share time in the bilges with salt water and oil and have been exposed to enough diesel fuel marine, jet fuel #5, and hydraulic oil to be a HazMat. I have gone to a lot of Saphir products, especially creme, stripper and conditioner. But there is nothing wrong with Kiwi wax at all.

Congratulations on your wedding and I think using the PA with a bull on them is a great idea. I have my black bayfield's spit shined (basically the whole boot is bulled) so that it looks just like patent leather. Always hated the plastic look of patent leather and never purchased the Bates dress patent leather shoe in the 20 years I was active duty, but instead learned to put a mirror shine on my leather military shoes and boots with Kiwi. I did the same mirror shine to my black calf Leeds when I first got them, but especially with jeans they sort of "popped" too much so I went with a duller finish in the end. Again like dsmivtr said you want to practice well in advance of your target date.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In case no one has noticed, AE had added shoes to the summer clearance sale. For example the Malvern for $249 (online and in store), and specific cordovan models and colors for $399 (through an AE store only it seems). My SA showed me his sale memo, so I know the info is good. Not sure if this is a good price for cordovan first quality AE's, but I might be tempted to buy my first cordovans...

That is a good price on first quality cordovans. Do you know what models were on sale?

reidrothchild

Reaction score

And two more. Nice burnishing, a longer toe cap, and generally a sleeker shoe than AE's other captoes IMO. I've only worn these twice and have done nothing more than put on one coat of Reno, one coat Saphir med. brown creme, and two coats Saphir med brown wax. Lot's of compliments on these shoes so far.

Ever since I saw this model in black and brown in person, I had penciled in the brown Rutledge as my next purchase. I've never seen the Walnut but had ruled it out based on the horrible pictures on AE's website. But these look awesome. It will be a tough choice between brown and walnut now.

MDtoBE

Reaction score
Hey quick question for you guys, since I'm relatively new to Allen Edmonds and finer footwear in general. How soon should shoe trees be placed in shoes, specifically if they haven't been worn yet? I have purchased a pair, still in the box, still stuffed with paper, unlaced, have not put them on, and don't plan to wear them for probly a couple months. Will they be fine like this until I start wearing them? I feel as though they should since they would still be in this condition on a store shelf if I had not bought them. Or should I go ahead and tree them?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey quick question for you guys, since I'm relatively new to Allen Edmonds and finer footwear in general. How soon should shoe trees be placed in shoes, specifically if they haven't been worn yet? I have purchased a pair, still in the box, still stuffed with paper, unlaced, have not put them on, and don't plan to wear them for probly a couple months. Will they be fine like this until I start wearing them? I feel as though they should since they would still be in this condition on a store shelf if I had not bought them. Or should I go ahead and tree them?

I believe you can leave it as it is. However, putting trees in won't hurt. Either way should be fine.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All,

I recently emailed Shoebank for the first time and received a list of available seconds in my size. I noticed in the list that there were Brooks Brothers rebranded AEs such as the Strands and Fifth Avenues. Would anybody happen to have experience with the BB branded AE shoes and know if there's anything different with them? Is the quality and feel/comfort pretty much the same? Would you guys suggest I just purchase the BB ones? I could potentially save $50-70 per pair of shoes if I were to go the BB branded route. 

I personally own a Brooks Brothers branded AE and A LOT of AEs. Brooks Brothers leather quality is the same, there is rubber topays added, dove tail heels, and the insole is more padded/cushioned which is better. It's well worth the extra $$$

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you have trees, put them in. If you don't have shoe trees, get some. As I recall, you can get Nordstrom shoe trees for $10-$13. You're going to put them in eventually anyway.

PK35216

Reaction score

I picked these up on ebay last week. Burgundy Shell Macneils in 9.5C. I am guessing 10 + years old. They are in great shape, but someone added new heels and soles via a cobbler apparently.I am very happy with the purchase. A few notes, and then a question:
Notes:
The Macneils are 7 last. My best size/last combo is 9.5C on 5 last (but I own many 9D 5 last shoes). These fit larger than the 5 last, which is no surprise, but with a thin padded insole and thicker socks, they fit pretty well and are very comfortable.
I sanded off the black edge and then applied natural AE heel and sole treatment, followed by a little brown. I used AE leather cleaner conditioner with paper towels to clean off the built up black polish in many areas of the shoes, and then thoroughly treated with a couple coats of the conditioner which I rub in with a small horsehair brush. After 24 hours, I brushed somewhat vigorously with a large horsehair brush and brought a slight shine out. The patina is pretty great, though a lot of it seems to be the past use of black polish, which collected in the creases.
Question:
I already have burgundy shell cambridges (ebay purchase - my first shells), and the AE shell polish.
However, since these shoes have a lot of black polish staining, I was thinking about purchasing some Alden #8 shell polish, on the theory that it is more eggplant purple than the AE burgundy shell polish. It may darken the burgundy portions of the shoe a bit, but lessen the contrast with the darker areas of the shoe that are darkened by the use of black polish. Also, it would distinguish the color between my cambridges and macneils just a bit. I don't figure it can hurt anything. Regardless, I got these for an absolute steal. Loving them for more casual looks. I wore them with jeans to the bar for the UFC this past Saturday.

Thoughts on Alden #8 and whether there is significant color difference with AE burgundy shell polish, etc. ?
Thanks.

Last edited:

PK35216

Reaction score
Ever since I saw this model in black and brown in person, I had penciled in the brown Rutledge as my next purchase. I've never seen the Walnut but had ruled it out based on the horrible pictures on AE's website. But these look awesome. It will be a tough choice between brown and walnut now.
I saw the Rutledge in Walnut at my factory seconds outlet store this weekend. I am a 9.5C 5 last (or 9D 5 last). The shoes are amazing looking. The new 3 last is a bit aggressive on the toe, but not too aggressive for my taste. The new 3 last in a balmoral like the Rutledge in size 9D fits my shallow instep/low volume foot MUCH better than the 2 blucher style 3 last shoes. However, that is generally true on all AE's in various lasts I've tried. Virtually all of my shoes are bals because of this. The 9D Rutledge was still a bit loose on me in comparison to 9D 5 last bals. With thick socks, or use of an thin insole, or both, I could probably get away with it. They were on sale for $269, which is a great price. However, with the loose fit and a fear that they would stretch out over time, I passed.
Anyway, the Rutledge in Walnut has been on my radar forever. I like the pictures on the AE site, but they are better looking in person. I would love to try a pair in 9.5B (since they don't make 9.5C - doh!)
If I get some, I'm sending them to you for a shine. Yours look amazing! Did you use AE Walnut polish?

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked these up on ebay last week. Burgundy Shell Macneils in 9.5C. I am guessing 10 + years old. They are in great shape, but someone added new heels and soles via a cobbler apparently.I am very happy with the purchase. A few notes, and then a question:
Notes:
The Macneils are 7 last. My best size/last combo is 9.5C on 5 last (but I own many 9D 5 last shoes). These fit larger than the 5 last, which is no surprise, but with a thin padded insole and thicker socks, they fit pretty well and are very comfortable.
I sanded off the black edge and then applied natural AE heel and sole treatment, followed by a little brown. I used AE leather cleaner conditioner with paper towels to clean off the built up black polish in many areas of the shoes, and then thoroughly treated with a couple coats of the conditioner which I rub in with a small horsehair brush. After 24 hours, I brushed somewhat vigorously with a large horsehair brush and brought a slight shine out. The patina is pretty great, though a lot of it seems to be the past use of black polish, which collected in the creases.
Question:
I already have burgundy shell cambridges (ebay purchase - my first shells), and the AE shell polish.
However, since these shoes have a lot of black polish staining, I was thinking about purchasing some Alden #8 shell polish, on the theory that it is more eggplant purple than the AE burgundy shell polish. It may darken the burgundy portions of the shoe a bit, but lessen the contrast with the darker areas of the shoe that are darkened by the use of black polish. Also, it would distinguish the color between my cambridges and macneils just a bit. I don't figure it can hurt anything. Regardless, I got these for an absolute steal. Loving them for more casual looks. I wore them with jeans to the bar for the UFC this past Saturday.

Thoughts on Alden #8 and whether there is significant color difference with AE burgundy shell polish, etc. ?
Thanks.

I really like them - they seem to have a lot of character! Great pick up. Very nice.

PK35216

Reaction score
Better pic in natural light showing the nice burnishing.
I saw the Rutledge in Walnut at my factory seconds outlet store this weekend. The shoes are amazing looking.
However, I am a 9.5C 5 last (or 9D 5 last). The new 3 last is a bit aggressive on the toe, but not too aggressive for my taste. The new 3 last in a balmoral like the Rutledge in size 9D fits my shallow instep/low volume foot MUCH better than the 2 blucher style 3 last shoes. However, that is generally true on all AE's in various lasts I've tried. Virtually all of my shoes are bals because of this. The 9D Rutledge was still a bit loose on me in comparison to 9D 5 last bals. With thick socks, or use of an thin insole, or both, I could probably get away with it. They were on sale for $269, which is a great price. However, with the loose fit and a fear that they would stretch out over time, I passed.
Anyway, the Rutledge in Walnut has been on my radar forever. I like the pictures on the AE site, but they are better looking in person. I would love to try a pair in 9.5B (since they don't make 9.5C - doh!)
If I get some, I'm sending them to you for a shine. Yours look amazing! Did you use AE Walnut polish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads