1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior Member

What is the typical response time when emailing the shoebank? I sent them an email on Wednesday evening and never received a response.

2. msulinski

msulinski Distinguished Member

1-2 hours

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

I'm liking the looks of those a lot. Thanks for posting the pictures. I have the Jefferson in dark brown and would not hesitate to get another shoe in the Presidential Collection. From the online pics I would have never looked at those twice...

I agree 100% with dsmivtr. About 50 pages back I have pictures of my old cobbler leather Shelton's that I did with RenoMat and couldn't be happier with the results. Great stuff and will do exactly what you want as dsmivtr said. AE premium polish has conditioner in it and you will not get a mirror finish with it. There are some on this site that knock Kiwi but you can't believe every thing you read on the Internet [​IMG]. I own a pair of Navy steel toed cap toe engineer boots that are at least 30 years old. Haven't spit shined them in the last 10 years LOL and now I only wear them when using the chainsaw around the house cutting downed trees or firewood. But with a little work they could pass an inspection tomorrow if needed with a glass like finish. I have only used Kiwi on them all this time. And they have spent their share time in the bilges with salt water and oil and have been exposed to enough diesel fuel marine, jet fuel #5, and hydraulic oil to be a HazMat. I have gone to a lot of Saphir products, especially creme, stripper and conditioner. But there is nothing wrong with Kiwi wax at all.

Congratulations on your wedding and I think using the PA with a bull on them is a great idea. I have my black bayfield's spit shined (basically the whole boot is bulled) so that it looks just like patent leather. Always hated the plastic look of patent leather and never purchased the Bates dress patent leather shoe in the 20 years I was active duty, but instead learned to put a mirror shine on my leather military shoes and boots with Kiwi. I did the same mirror shine to my black calf Leeds when I first got them, but especially with jeans they sort of "popped" too much so I went with a duller finish in the end. Again like dsmivtr said you want to practice well in advance of your target date.

4. sportin_life

sportin_life Distinguished Member

That is a good price on first quality cordovans. Do you know what models were on sale?

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Sorry for the cell pic, but this is a section of the memo from my SA. No Leeds, but a good selection.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

6. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior Member

Ever since I saw this model in black and brown in person, I had penciled in the brown Rutledge as my next purchase. I've never seen the Walnut but had ruled it out based on the horrible pictures on AE's website. But these look awesome. It will be a tough choice between brown and walnut now.

7. MDtoBE

MDtoBE Member

Hey quick question for you guys, since I'm relatively new to Allen Edmonds and finer footwear in general. How soon should shoe trees be placed in shoes, specifically if they haven't been worn yet? I have purchased a pair, still in the box, still stuffed with paper, unlaced, have not put them on, and don't plan to wear them for probly a couple months. Will they be fine like this until I start wearing them? I feel as though they should since they would still be in this condition on a store shelf if I had not bought them. Or should I go ahead and tree them?

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

I believe you can leave it as it is. However, putting trees in won't hurt. Either way should be fine.

9. plei89

plei89 Distinguished Member

I personally own a Brooks Brothers branded AE and A LOT of AEs. Brooks Brothers leather quality is the same, there is rubber topays added, dove tail heels, and the insole is more padded/cushioned which is better. It's well worth the extra $$$

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

If you have trees, put them in. If you don't have shoe trees, get some. As I recall, you can get Nordstrom shoe trees for $10-$13. You're going to put them in eventually anyway.

11. PK35216

PK35216 Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

I picked these up on ebay last week. Burgundy Shell Macneils in 9.5C. I am guessing 10 + years old. They are in great shape, but someone added new heels and soles via a cobbler apparently.I am very happy with the purchase. A few notes, and then a question:
    Notes:
    The Macneils are 7 last. My best size/last combo is 9.5C on 5 last (but I own many 9D 5 last shoes). These fit larger than the 5 last, which is no surprise, but with a thin padded insole and thicker socks, they fit pretty well and are very comfortable.
    I sanded off the black edge and then applied natural AE heel and sole treatment, followed by a little brown. I used AE leather cleaner conditioner with paper towels to clean off the built up black polish in many areas of the shoes, and then thoroughly treated with a couple coats of the conditioner which I rub in with a small horsehair brush. After 24 hours, I brushed somewhat vigorously with a large horsehair brush and brought a slight shine out. The patina is pretty great, though a lot of it seems to be the past use of black polish, which collected in the creases.
    Question:
    I already have burgundy shell cambridges (ebay purchase - my first shells), and the AE shell polish.
    However, since these shoes have a lot of black polish staining, I was thinking about purchasing some Alden #8 shell polish, on the theory that it is more eggplant purple than the AE burgundy shell polish. It may darken the burgundy portions of the shoe a bit, but lessen the contrast with the darker areas of the shoe that are darkened by the use of black polish. Also, it would distinguish the color between my cambridges and macneils just a bit. I don't figure it can hurt anything. Regardless, I got these for an absolute steal. Loving them for more casual looks. I wore them with jeans to the bar for the UFC this past Saturday.

Thoughts on Alden #8 and whether there is significant color difference with AE burgundy shell polish, etc. ?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

12. PK35216

PK35216 Senior Member

I saw the Rutledge in Walnut at my factory seconds outlet store this weekend. I am a 9.5C 5 last (or 9D 5 last). The shoes are amazing looking. The new 3 last is a bit aggressive on the toe, but not too aggressive for my taste. The new 3 last in a balmoral like the Rutledge in size 9D fits my shallow instep/low volume foot MUCH better than the 2 blucher style 3 last shoes. However, that is generally true on all AE's in various lasts I've tried. Virtually all of my shoes are bals because of this. The 9D Rutledge was still a bit loose on me in comparison to 9D 5 last bals. With thick socks, or use of an thin insole, or both, I could probably get away with it. They were on sale for $269, which is a great price. However, with the loose fit and a fear that they would stretch out over time, I passed.
    Anyway, the Rutledge in Walnut has been on my radar forever. I like the pictures on the AE site, but they are better looking in person. I would love to try a pair in 9.5B (since they don't make 9.5C - doh!)
    If I get some, I'm sending them to you for a shine. Yours look amazing! Did you use AE Walnut polish?

13. wigglr

wigglr Distinguished Member

I really like them - they seem to have a lot of character! Great pick up. Very nice.

14. PK35216

PK35216 Senior Member

I saw the Rutledge in Walnut at my factory seconds outlet store this weekend. The shoes are amazing looking.
    However, I am a 9.5C 5 last (or 9D 5 last). The new 3 last is a bit aggressive on the toe, but not too aggressive for my taste. The new 3 last in a balmoral like the Rutledge in size 9D fits my shallow instep/low volume foot MUCH better than the 2 blucher style 3 last shoes. However, that is generally true on all AE's in various lasts I've tried. Virtually all of my shoes are bals because of this. The 9D Rutledge was still a bit loose on me in comparison to 9D 5 last bals. With thick socks, or use of an thin insole, or both, I could probably get away with it. They were on sale for $269, which is a great price. However, with the loose fit and a fear that they would stretch out over time, I passed.
    Anyway, the Rutledge in Walnut has been on my radar forever. I like the pictures on the AE site, but they are better looking in person. I would love to try a pair in 9.5B (since they don't make 9.5C - doh!)
    If I get some, I'm sending them to you for a shine. Yours look amazing! Did you use AE Walnut polish?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.