• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MacNeil or McAllister if you had to choose...

Personally, I am not a fan of longwings, so I went with the McAllister and am happy with them. Are you looking at shell Cordovan? If not, I am not a fan of the grainy texture of the walnut they use on the McNeil. I also prefer the sleeker look of the McAllister, specifically the single sole vs. the double.

I suspect others in this thread will tell you they prefer the McNeil.

Edit: Also, the McAllister is a balmoral/oxford, while the McNeil is a blucher/derby. Not sure if that matters to you.

Last edited:

SouthNarc

Reaction score

Ive never seen a pic of these that I actually like.  But these look very very very nice.

Thanks! They definitely look better in person than on the AE site. I think the same shoe in black is MUCH sleeker and modern than either the Park or Fifth Ave. I'll try and get some more pics.

SouthNarc

Reaction score
And two more. Nice burnishing, a longer toe cap, and generally a sleeker shoe than AE's other captoes IMO. I've only worn these twice and have done nothing more than put on one coat of Reno, one coat Saphir med. brown creme, and two coats Saphir med brown wax. Lot's of compliments on these shoes so far.

seer

Reaction score
Fifth Street boots are great. I found the fit similar but it is important to find out how they fit the ankle area.
Thanks, so you own a pair I assume. I was wondering about the color and leather. Some pictures on line kind of give it a poop brown look, other pictures the leather looks real fine - like a brown with a red hue. Any thoughts?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, so you own a pair I assume. I was wondering about the color and leather. Some pictures on line kind of give it a poop brown look, other pictures the leather looks real fine - like a brown with a red hue. Any thoughts?

The brown is the same type of other dark brown AE shoes. Which pictures did you see had a red hue?

SouthNarc

Reaction score
Thanks!

The 3 last for me is a half size up from the 5....8.5 in Strands and 9 in the Rutledge.

Breedlove

Reaction score
Well, although they didn't have the shoe I originally reserved, AE sent me a pair in a similar size (half size smaller but wider). No one will confuse them for firsts but there isn't anything majorly wrong with them that won't happen naturally after a couple of wears.
After sending two pairs of shoes back for exchange, I think I've finally found a keeper!
Now to begin conditioning and breaking my new Brown Cordovan Strands in!

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
What would you guys say the average shoe life of an allen edmonds calf skin shoe is? One black one brown worn 5 days a week. How many years can you get out of this rotation with good shoe care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads