Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Instep is a little higher than other 5 last shoes, so it might be a little looser. I wear the same size as my other 5 last shoes though.

2. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Ive never seen a pic of these that I actually like. But these look very very very nice.

3. seer

seer Senior member

thanks

4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Fifth Street boots are great. I found the fit similar but it is important to find out how they fit the ankle area.

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

6. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

anyone from WA here? i'm heading back there in oct for my sons 1st bday and wondering how you guys wear your AE's there?
    - we live in AZ so I haven't really had to deal w/ AE in the rain. I plan to pick up a pair of dalton boots and know that it has leather soles just like the rest of my AE's (strands, mctavish, byrons) but would that suffice for WA?

7. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Doh... The pair of Strands in Brown Shell Cordovan I had on reserve ended up being sold despite my hold =/

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Haven't been to WA but if it rains constantly, maybe eventually switching to commando/rubber soles after will work better? Generally the leather soles will be okay but if you water does cause leather to become more pliable so add that to walking on concrete and you get the idea. It does not mean your soles will wear out in a week, but it MAY affect the longevity.

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Now that sucks since AE only does shell MTO now I believe.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

When I tried it the leather felt a little flimsy, and a little rubbery. It had a soft fit, and it felt comfortable though. Ultimately I wasn't crazy about it, so I passed. Try it in person and see for yourself...

11. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I was considering them at one point. I tried them on. Fit was ok, not great. The sole is super flexible and really comfortable. I really just wasn't crazy about the shape. Too square. The pebbled leather also doesn't really fit with my idea of a bit loafer. If you're looking at a bit loafer from AE's Italian line, I'd go with the Verona or Lucca.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Thanks for the input. I've had this idea of finding a rubber soled loafer that would be comfortable for long flights, that could serve as a business shoe (slacks, no suit) in a pinch, and that could be worn in rainy weather. Almost everything I've seen is either way too fashion forward (i.e.: super long and pointy, more suitable for clubbing), too casual (the Tod's-type drivers), or shitty quality (let me be nice and not name names for $400+ pieces of shit shoes). I saw this one online today and thought with the AE quality it might be an option. I saw Nordstrom carries them, but online only. I'll have to wait until I have time to get to an AE store.

I've found one suitable alternative, which is a new Ralph Lauren Black Label shoe called the Donington. But it's only in stores - can't even find pictures online - and is over $500.

Maybe this isn't a workable idea to begin with.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

13. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

it defintely rains lol. we are only going to be there for 2wks, but if is constantly raining while we are there my concern is wearing AE's. Now i know I will not be doing continuous walking in the rain but short distances to and from the car, to the house etc.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Oh that's nothing, wear them with. I fear. Remember, GY welding was developed in a country with infamous rainy weather.

15. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

MacNeil or McAllister if you had to choose...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.