Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

They seem legit to me. I saw many other SF users recommend purchasing belts from him and havent' read any negative feedback.
    - Misspelling on the buckles what do you mean?
    - The belts he has are the AE wide basic belts: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF39501_1_40000000001_-1
    - The wide basic belts have allen edmonds engraved on the buckle:
    [​IMG]

2. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

I've worn them with jeans, chinos, and (on less formal days) with a suit. They're very versatile, IMHO.

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Here's an example. See how "Allen-Edmonds" is hyphenated?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMON...A_MWA_Belts&hash=item3a75a53b5a#ht_500wt_1413

4. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

great thanks for your input

I see how it is hyphenated but that the way it was designed right?
    look at amazons enlarge picture - also hyphenated: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Basic-Dress/dp/B000MXVBOO

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Ah, could be. I wasn't sure. They don't do that anywhere on their own site, so it seems odd.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

At this point EBay. I've toyed with the idea of picking up a used Evanston or Soho and recrafting it, but just cannot bring myself to buy used shoes, even if it is a discontinued model that is no longer available.

7. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I had been deliberating for a while between getting the Elgin for the McTavish for my first truly "casual" AE shoe, and was leaning towards the Elgin, but found a great deal on a McTavish on ebay ($130 including shipping, very lightly used). Not sure if they were seconds or what, but either way it was a great deal (I actually won the auction for $80, and shipping was $50 because the seller is in Asia . . . but still a great deal for me). I still really like the Elgin (I had decided on getting the Elgin until I came across the inexpensive McTavishes and pulled the trigger . . . I still may get the Elgins anyway . . . )

The color is a light brown as many other people have said, and in the right light almost has the tiniest hint of orange hue. It makes for a really beautiful color shoe, in my opinion. I have read a lot about people having to size down a half size, and these shoes were in my usual AE size range (they're 9.5E, I need 9.5E or 9.5EEE depending on the shoe), so I figured I'd buy them and if they didn't fit, could resell them. I actually put a custom-made orthotic in my shoes (my true size without them is 9E or so), and with the orthotics in place I do notice a tad bit more heel slippage than usual (the orthotic elevates your heel a bit in the back of the shoe). Not sure yet if that will cause a problem. The orthotic also elevates the forefoot some, which is usually why I need a EEE width to accomodate the extra volume from the orthotic. I feel like a 9EEE would probably be my ideal size in these, but so far I'm liking the 9.5E fit pretty well. The seller had a Vibram topy added, which is great since I probably would've wanted to do that anyway with these (I don't do that with my more formal shoes, but for a more casual style I prefer it).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just for comparison's sake (size/shape/whatever), this is them alongside my pair of Lasalles in the exact same size, 9.5E:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. josh4mc

josh4mc New Member

Is this about as good as it gets for PAs?

9. bnovc

bnovc Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the Elgrin and the Strand? I have the Strand, but I noticed the Elgrin on the AE site, and it looks basically the same to me, but it is a lot less expensive.

Also, I had ordered the Neumok Snuff Suede, but when it came it didn't have the contrast stitching like their site shows, and I thought looked great. I'm thinking that I will probably return these, but I need another pair. I would really like to get something that I could wear with cotton trousers at work or jeans on the weekend if possible, although maybe I should get two pair for that. I was thinking about getting a loafer or monk to suit that. Perhaps http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0944_1_40000000001_-1 or http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0212_1_40000000001_-1, what do you guys think?

Thanks

10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

The Elgin (which is currently on sale until July 7th) is a much more "rough" and casual version of the Strand. It's a more distressed leather and a bulkier outsole with contrast stitching and such (shoe experts could give you more details on the technical terms). The AE site's pics don't do a good job of distinguishing between the two, but here you go:

Strand:
    [​IMG]

Elgin:
    [​IMG]

11. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

yeah, the picture of the belt on AE isn't that great. If you look hard enough you can see the hyphen a little bit.

congrats backinthebox :)
    - I'm planning to pick up the black mctavish @ nordstroms for their anniversary sale

by the way, nice picture ;)
    - i ended up sending those back, received my replacement strands yesterday but had to send them back again due to another issue. Now have to wait another 2 wks for the replacements

12. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Wow! I'm very, very jealous. Should've found those and outbid you [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm just kidding. Congrats on a great find! And even more congrats on the condition! They look great!

13. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

What are you using to polish the walnut strands?

14. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

[​IMG]

I always appreciate it when people post pics of their AEs, so here's another shot of my snuff suede Neumoks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  15. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Love those. How is the unlined leather? Any worries about durability?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.