• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimney

Reaction score
Is the Nordstrom anniversary sale online? Would I need to worry about stock for any of the Allen Edmonds shoes?

Blok

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
I guess both 10E and 10.5D doesn't really make any difference in terms of heel slip because when I tightened them they really feel about the same and the ball of my foot sits very similar in both sizes. The 10D feels tight enough that I want to take my shoes off so I think it's definitely not a good size for me.
Quick question for y'all. when you measure on the brannock if your toe is right on the line of one size, for example, I measure exactly 10.5D sock-less, would you take a 10.5D or 11D?

Have you tried 11C? You may already know this, but going up 1/2 size involves going up in both length and width. So going from a 10.5D to 11D will be an increase of 1/2 in length and 1/2 in width. If you want to keep the same width, you can try going from 10.5D to 11.C

Plus, did you get:

• measured while standing up
  • heel to toe measurement
  • heel to ball measurement
  • both foot measured

There is also a limitation on the brannock device. It only measures 2 dimensions while your foot is a 3 dimensional object. Even assuming the length and width of all shoes conform exactly to brannock measurements, you are at the mercy of the shoe last for that third axis.

norite

Reaction score
That is a good rotation, and you will likely have better shoes than many of your coworkers and probably partners. Cpa firms are funny, some wear suits daily, some never even wear jackets. Assuming you'll need suits sometimes but not always, get one pair of black, one pair of burgundy, and one pair of brown. I'd sub some wingtips for the lasalle. Also think about adding brown or burgundy loafers by next spring.

Yeah, I'll most likely be one of those who wear suits just sometimes...if even that much. Do you have any suggestions for a black/burgundy/brown pair? I considered getting a burgundy and brown pair but none of the AEs during the Anniversary Sale is those colors besides the Parkways...which I can't find any info on. I figured a pair of LaSalle in Chili would be good enough in terms of the burgundy colorway. I haven't seen in it person so I'm not sure if that's entirely correct.

And are loafers commonly worn by public accounts? I recently purchased a pair of black Bruno Magli (they were comfy!) loafers hoping it's something that wouldn't be deemed too casual.

You may want to consider a pair of dark brown shoes in there as well. They would only be step below black PAs in terms of formality, but do provide a bit more visual interest. I see that there are "Parkways" available in brown for the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, but I can't find any information on this shoe. Does anyone know anything about them? Otherwise, you could might be able to get 5th Aves in brown for a good price from user allaboutshoes

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the brown 5th Aves!

bucksfan

Reaction score

Yeah, I'll most likely be one of those who wear suits just sometimes...if even that much. Do you have any suggestions for a black/burgundy/brown pair? I considered getting a burgundy and brown pair but none of the AEs during the Anniversary Sale is those colors besides the Parkways...which I can't find any info on. I figured a pair of LaSalle in Chili would be good enough in terms of the burgundy colorway. I haven't seen in it person so I'm not sure if that's entirely correct.

And are loafers commonly worn by public accounts? I recently purchased a pair of black Bruno Magli (they were comfy!) loafers hoping it's something that wouldn't be deemed too casual.

black Park Ave for those times you need some more formality. I like both the Mcallister /cambridge and MacNeil for burgundy wingtips.

Loafers are worn all the time in the business world, with suits even. I would not recommend that though.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to have a rotation of 3 AE shoes, I will eventually add a black pair, I already own the walnut strands. What else would you guys recommend? Here is what I am considering.

Thanks!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to have a rotation of 3 AE shoes, I will eventually add a black pair, I already own the walnut strands. What else would you guys recommend? Here is what I am considering.
Thanks!

Strand in walnut, PA in black. Fifth Avenue in dark brown, and MacNeil in burgundy. The only four dress shoes you really neeed.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purchased black & white Broadstreets and brown& blue Finches yesterday. Will post pics when the Broadstreets get here.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found these today on the website. I just ordered them in black & white. Am tempted by the brown & walnut. What do you think?

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took delivery of my Shell Cordovan AE Cambridge this week. A 6 week wait, but well worth it. These babies are competing for my favorite AEs with my Strands.
AECambridgeShellCordovan3.jpg

AECambridgeShellCordovan.jpg

AECambridgeShellCordovan2.jpg

AECambridgeShellCordovan4.jpg

jjr4884

Reaction score
Does AE typically have a 4th of july sale?

Not that I know of, but the last salesman I talked to said they do have a decent sale more towards the end of summer... fingers crossed for the Olive Neumoks... it was a toss up between those and the blue, and the blue won

On a side note, anyone have a clue how/where/if possible it would be to pick up a pair of Evanstons. They have been discontinued for a couple years, now, but I fell in love with them the second I saw a picture of them, and ended up "settling" for the walnut Strands instead ha

delmar

Reaction score
Found these today on the website. I just ordered them in black & white. Am tempted by the brown & walnut. What do you think?
I like them all but I especially like the brown and walnut too, more contrast. I thought they looked better with khaki pants and blue jeans than the others. Tempting.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Took delivery of my Shell Cordovan AE Cambridge this week. A 6 week wait, but well worth it. These babies are competing for my favorite AEs with my Strands.

Great pick-up. My last pair of AE

PopFarmer

Reaction score
Those Cambridge's are absolutely beautiful. I want a pair one day. I would just sit at desk all day looking at them and not get anything done.
lurker[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads