Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I've seen the Leeds promoted on occasion, more on AAAC lurkings than here, as reasonably suitable for wearing with a tuxedo. I just got a pair in black shell and I agree that they look like they could hold a far shinier polish than calf (at least for those of us for whom properly-sized patent shoes don't seem to exist). I'm in a tuxedo at least once a month and have been using Park Avenues for the last couple of years unless I find a NOS pair of the Copley or Ritz somewhere in a 14AA.

The only AE patent leather shoe I see right now is the Mayfair, a blucher. The Leeds are similarly not closed-laced. Is this no longer a concern with regard to formal eveningwear?

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Not shell.

3. delmar

delmar Senior member

I just scored a pair of black patent leather Kendalls at the AE tent sale in Port Washington, WI for $99.00. They looked perfect, not marked as seconds--just discontinued, I think. Like has been said, not many opportunities to wear them, but for the price I had to buy them.

I went on a spree at the tent sale: Besides the Kendalls, I got a pair of the McTavish in the natural color and pair of the Ridgeway (a webgem wingtip with lugged sole from a few months back) in cognac brown with an orange welt and orange laces. I'm going to swap out the orange laces for brown.

Then this week I saw that the Finch was on sale so I ordered a pair in tan/navy which arrived at my house two days later.

I don't know if I should feel shame for indulging myself so lavishly or to just feel lucky for scoring so many bargains.

4. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

I say be happy with the score! :D

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

That's a tough one. It's obviously a very personal choice as each person reacts differently to these defects. For me personally, they would go back. Even if it's not that noticeable, my eyes would be drawn to it all the time and it would bother me and I would regret my decision to have kept them. But if you think it won't bother you, I would go for it. Like you say, nobody else is going to notice.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  6. sambb

sambb Active Member

this is crazy - I have the EXACT same cap issue with my fifth avenues - i emailed AE with NO RESPONSE

7. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

didn't the tent sale end already? did you buy these last week?
    asking because i'm regretting not taking advantage of tent sale prices for more seconds!

8. M4rtin

M4rtin Active Member

I tried Kenilworths in a retail store in Canada yesterday and they had same problem, Left shoe had front cap slightly off center.

9. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

So I went into the Boston AE today and get my foot measured for park ave.

My toe is right on the 10.5 line, maybe slightly over the light if wearing sucks.

The SA told me that I am a 10.5D and should sized down to 10D on the PA because she said that everyone size down on PA. However when I tried on the 10D my foot just hurts. as a result I tried on the 10E and 10.5D.

However, the 10E and the 10.5D feels the same. More interestingly, when I compare the length of 10.5D and 10E I don't see any difference. However I can tell that the E width is slightly wider than the D width.

just my review on the "interesting" 5 lasts.

I also asked her about the players shoe and she told me that it's one of their best looking shoe on the worst last and told me that it's one of the AE executive's favorite.

she also confirmed with me that there will be a new boot coming this fall!!!

10. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

My damaged Cordovon Macneils :confused:

[​IMG]

11. ASK88

ASK88 New Member

You might consider the space in the opening around your ankle or heel slip if you need more indicators on fit. I was concerned with width but very slight heel slip tipped the scales to the smaller size in my situation (9.5e vs 9.5d on 5 last). I had also tried multiple park aves in a store and then ordered two pairs on a second occasion to make sure I was making the best estimation of size in the end. In my initial sizing I felt like the d width was too tight on the toes on my left foot but found that it was perfect when I compared the two on the second occasion. So the tightness might have been variation in the shoe that differs between pairs but you should try them on again just in case you find that smaller size is actually a nice fit for you. Its so confusing to look at peoples suggestions in this thread because you can try so many arrangements of larger or smaller widths and lengths to find the best fit not to mention someone's suggestion to gauge where the ball of the foot falls in the shoe bed lol. I guess Im glad Im average enough to not have struggled much with it.

12. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Thanks for the input.

I guess both 10E and 10.5D doesn't really make any difference in terms of heel slip because when I tightened them they really feel about the same and the ball of my foot sits very similar in both sizes. The 10D feels tight enough that I want to take my shoes off so I think it's definitely not a good size for me.

Quick question for y'all. when you measure on the brannock if your toe is right on the line of one size, for example, I measure exactly 10.5D sock-less, would you take a 10.5D or 11D?

13. k9n

k9n Senior member

Just ordered a pair of Moras from Shoebank, Thanks!

14. M4rtin

M4rtin Active Member

Which black belt from AE would match the Kenilworths ?
    Need black belt for black suit for my wedding.

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Assuming your Kenilworths are also black, go for the basic wide belt in black (the ones with double keepers). They are well made with a solid buckle, congrats and good luck...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.