Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Thanks. My phone wasn't resolving the image when I zoomed. I guess I am just impatient.

The LaSalles in chili look interesting, as do the McTavishes in black.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think there's a good chance they won't have a replacement pair in your size. The shells are rare as seconds.

3. gooter

gooter Senior member

I have a a pair of McAllisters in black and Strands in walnut. What do you chaps think I should get as my next pair? I was thinking either a pair of plain(ish) captoes or maybe a monk strap? I suppose another option would be the burgundy Cordovan Cambridges.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

4. gooter

gooter Senior member

It's noticeable but only when they are sitting side by side. I would keep them.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I look at it this way, you have a black and a walnut shoe. Go for something in burnished brown to round out the colors.

6. norite

norite Member

What do you guys think about me getting the following rotation of AE's. I'm going to start working at an accounting firm come fall and only have one pair....of Alfani dress shoes. I'm thinking of getting the Strands in Walnut, PA in Black, and LaSalle in Chili.

Is there another rotation that would be better than the above? Mostly looking for shoes that will be on sale during Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale or anything that is ~$200/pair. Thanks in advance!

7. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Allen Edmonds Ashbury, anybody knows if this is shell or not?

8. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

not

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

You may want to consider a pair of dark brown shoes in there as well. They would only be step below black PAs in terms of formality, but do provide a bit more visual interest. I see that there are "Parkways" available in brown for the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, but I can't find any information on this shoe. Does anyone know anything about them? Otherwise, you could might be able to get 5th Aves in brown for a good price from user allaboutshoes

10. M4rtin

M4rtin Active Member

Thinking which black belt from AE to get for my wedding :)

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think most of the recent shell offerings have JR soles for your information.

+1. You'll have to decide whether it bothers you enough that you won't wear them. They were several defects with my Wlanut Shell Strands, but I decided to keep them anyway since I didn't think that I would get another shot at them at the price I got them at. Just picked up a pair of Burgundy Cambridges and even with the defects will be keeping them anyway.

12. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

That is a good rotation, and you will likely have better shoes than many of your coworkers and probably partners. Cpa firms are funny, some wear suits daily, some never even wear jackets. Assuming you'll need suits sometimes but not always, get one pair of black, one pair of burgundy, and one pair of brown. I'd sub some wingtips for the lasalle. Also think about adding brown or burgundy loafers by next spring.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

What will you be wearing? Tux? Suit?

Without trying to completely hijack your post, I am getting married in almost exactly a year, and my fiancee prefers we all wear tuxedos . . . I'd like to wear a pair of nice AE shoes, but I'm unsure which shoe would be most appropriate . . . I would assume black Park Avenues? I was a groomsman in a wedding recently and our Mens Wearhouse tuxes came with the cheap patent leather plain toe bluchers, so maybe a black plain toe blucher or balmoral?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

14. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

If you need a more formal shoe, look at the cap toes. If you don't need that formal, check out the MacNeil, Cambridge or Leeds. The leeds are funny, from a formality perspective they run the entire gamot from suits and even tuxes to jeans. You won't regret getting cordovan.

I think all shell AEs have JR soles, unless special ordered with some other sole. It sounds like the pool of shells in seconds is drying up, so if you like the shoes enough that it bother you when you wear them, keep them IMO.

AE makes patent leather shoes, but I think I'd get black PAs or Leeds, and give them a great shine. At least that way you can wear them again.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

That's what I was thinking . . . I'm not at the point in my life where I can drop $300 on a pair of shoes I will probably only ever wear once (or maybe a couple times down the road in other weddings), so the patent leather shoe is likely out. I would probably just get the PAs or Leeds and shine them up nicely, I'm just not sure which . . . I prefer the PA/captoe I would say. For all my AEs, I don't actually own any PAs (I bought Johnston & Murphy Meltons in black and burgundy before I discovered AEs and they've served me well enough so far). So either I could buy a pair of PAs and toss my Meltons, or go ahead and get the Leeds.

Also, FWIW, the corrected grain of the J&Ms actually seems to hold a better shine than calf PAs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.