Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I can't understand this traction issue.

The only times I slip are more due to a leather heel than the sole. Still, thats nothing more than a brief wiggle and not a fall or anything.

In the snow/ice, all bets are off.

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Really? I'm not saying I slip and fall all the time, but there are times when I have to slow down considerably and make a conscious effort to maintain traction. Do you walk much on city streets with leather-soled shoes? What about after the rain, or when someone is watering down the sidewalk, or you have to walk on a wet (or dry) subway grate? I have to walk about half speed in these situations.

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

It also depends on the type of pavement/surface on which you're walking. I'm a neophyte when it comes to paving and such, but some surfaces have what seems like a slick "sealant" coat that definitely causes me to slip when wearing leather-soled shoes.

4. BackInTheJox

Forgive my mediocre picture quality as always (these are all taken with my iphone), but here are my chili Delrays, treating me well on a blistering hot day.

[​IMG]

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

sets off your blue slacks very nicely. Good combination!

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

These (or at least a split-toe in Chili) may very well be my next shoes. I wore my Chili Hillboroughs yesterday, but I think I prefer the look of the Delrays better.

For anyone who has seen them in-person, what are the major differences between the Ashton, Delray, Bradley, Walton and LaSalle models?

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Plus they are JR leather soles.

If your shoes were seconds, they would have a shoe symbol stamped on the sole.

8. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I saw the "Shell Cordovan" inscription over a stylized depiction of a hide, but I didn't notice the JR around it all. UNEXPECTED BONUS. Thanks for the tip!

9. BackInTheJox

I own the Delray, Bradley, and Lasalle (in Chili, Black, and Brown respectively). The Delray and Lasalle are the most similar of the bunch I would say, with the major difference being the more pronounced (for lack of a better word) stitching on the moc-toe/split-toe portion up front with the Lasalle. FWIW, the Delrays on the left are 9.5EEE and the Lasalles are 9.5E:

[​IMG]

Also, the Lasalle looks/feels slightly more "moc-toe" in that it has a flatter overall feeling whereas the Delray's toe (the entire dorsal surface) has more of a sloping, tapered feeling (it's subtle, but maybe you can see it in this head-on picture:

[​IMG]

As I have said previously on this thread, I like the Delrays more than the Lasalles, although they really are remarkably similar shoes and serve the same purpose. The Bradley was actually my very first AE purchase, but the shape of the shoe (a more "rounded" toe) tends to make them look less elegant/more casual and thus limits my use of them (since I have since bought the Delrays in black as well). The Bradley also has even more "pronounced" stitching than the Lasalle (and much much more so than the Delray).

10. BackInTheJox

Thanks, I love wearing navy blue slacks with chili AEs. I wear my chili Fairfax with my navy suit whenever possible (in all but the very most formal of occasions, for which I substitute a merlot J&M Melton for my Fairfax). The navy/chili combo can't be beat.

(just for kicks, here are my Fairfaxes):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lighting seems to make them appear to be very slightly different shades, but in person that is not the case at all.

11. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

So i got two more shell models from the tent sale. The Mcgraws were flawless, couldn't find anything. The PA's I noticed that of the cap right foot is either slightly off center or smaller than the left. I am not sure if I should send it back. I mean with seconds you don't know what to expect. I took some pictures close up side by side. When they are separated like it would be when they are worn, I dont think even the trained eye will be able to see it easily, but who better to ask the SF members.

So should I keep them, or try sending them back and try my luck again?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Active Member

Thanks. And how does the cringes on the side look to you?

13. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Details of the AE's on sale for the Nordstrom anniversary sale:

[​IMG]

From my SA at Nordstrom :satisfied:

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Am I the only one who can't read any of that? When does the sale start?

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Click the pic to enlarge, sale starts July 20th I think...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.