1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJ0323

SJ0323 Member

Does anyone offhand know what Last the Clifton is? I tried on a pair today and really loved the fit and was wondering which others were made in that shape..

2. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

The 8-108 last.

3. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton Ms. Clifton

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks of that every time someone mentions the Clifton lol

4. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Already answered, but for future reference, the details under the shoe on their website will show what last the shoe is on. When you go to allenedmonds.com and just click "shoes" at the top left, it will shoe everything and you can sort by last along the left hand side.

Pretty helpful if you are looking for a particular last, collection, etc....

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Is this a vintage McClain?

6. SJ0323

SJ0323 Member

Thanks for the help, I just figured I'd ask on here since I guess the Clifton got discontinued and is no longer on their site so I couldn't find out that way and figured someone on here would know.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Interesting. I got the exact same e-mail from AE customer service telling me to use the natural edge dressing a year ago. As I said before, I am going to have to try the chili dressing because I am not all that satisfied with the natural dressing. As 7FoldTieGuy acknowledged, it does not do much to cover up nicks in the sole and heel.

8. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Oh shit i had no idea they were discontinued... I was always partial to the Sanford anyways, but after trying both on, i look like an old man wearing black bluchers lol

Anyways, Nordstroms still has them readily available, so their website says

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-e...egoryid=0&fashionColor=Walnut&resultback=1102

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

A splendid last. Possibly the best.

10. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

I dont believe they are discontinued, they are just somewhat exclusive to Nordstroms (and not to :spam: but I do have them available thats why I said "somewhat" exclusive)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  11. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

well if memory serves me correctly, i am very sure that the cliftons were on the website at some point in the last couple months, thats for sure... but oh well, they won't be missed in my eyes lol

12. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

I am probably not following an "approved" routine, but I purchased both the premium polish and a wax polish (Kiwi wax actually not the AE brand) and use both.
    The premium polish in the tube seems to have both some conditioning and some polish, but didn't achieve the shine I was looking for.
    Based on this, I added a very thin layer of Kiwi wax on top of the AE premium polish and the shine came out with a little brushing and a spritz of water on a nylon type polishing glove.
    This seems to work good for all my calf shoes.

13. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

i'm bored and i have nothing to do right now, gonna bust out the merlot mcallisters and give them a proper shine.... will take an hour the way i do it, then i'll be ready for bed

14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

A very good idea. One of these days soon I intend on posting a photo of my AE fleet.

15. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

please do!!!

16. scruffy

scruffy Member

[ATTACHMENT=3636] (2,341k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I received my Neumora's yesterday and after one days wear they have developed creases into the toe cap. Sizing wise, i'm a 10D in the Strand and origionally ordered the same that were too big so sized down to a 9.5D. The fit feels quite good and overall length and width of the shoe is on par with my other AE's.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Neumonks?

17. MyOtherLife

It is not a manufacturers defect and you won't be able to return them. This is unnatural wear that occurs when the shoe is too long for the wearer. Very nice shoes though. Congratulations and welcome to Styleforum.

18. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I'll try to snap a photo in the morning... they are shining like mirrors, let me tell you lol

19. scruffy

scruffy Member

Thanks for the reply. I originally did think length might be an issue but when I 'jamb' my foor as far forward in the shoe as I can, I've only got a 1/4 inch room at the heel...

20. MyOtherLife

That is interesting scruffy. I wouldn't worry about it but I agree it is not attractive. If you feel the toebox with your fingers, you should be able to feel where the plastic insert ends. This will occur before the toe cap stitching. Perhaps AE had not forecasted this when designing the shoe? If they had made the cap stitching lay upon the end of the toebox insert, then the caps would appear as undestructable. You can try giving the caps a high shine to define them on the shoes. This will help asthetically. Make sure you are using shoe trees when the shoes are not in use.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.