1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

wow, never know this until today!

2. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

With trees I think it was around $350 or so I think. Pretty much the same as buying a normal model at full retail. :slayer:

3. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

killer price for a killer pair of shoes. :slayer:

4. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

That is an incredible price. I have 2 pairs (different models) coming in myself next week! Pics will come...

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I paid $234 for my pairs. I purchased from RL store and they were brand new. These shoes are narrow as. Beautiful shoes.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Great price. How do they fit compared to other AE's?

7. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

they fit like the player's shoe, I think they are on the same last/style as the Williams. I was gonna go for the dark brown Williams but when I decided to pull the trigger someone already bought the last pair.

that was some real good price for the 1st. but i agree they are narrow and beautiful I can see that it will be one of my favorite shoes

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Any Mcgraw reviews? I'm hoping the brown calf version fits me, unlike the Manchester and Randolph loafer...

9. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

the Randolph doesn't fit me as well...

10. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

I'm having some odd issues with 5 last fit, and I was hoping someone with similar issues may have found a solution.

A year ago, I purchased my first pair of decent shoes, the Park Avenue. I was measured on the branock to a 7D, and purchased that size (on the printable AE fit guide I'm right on the line both between 6.5/7 and D/E). The shoe is generally very comfortable, except it pinches my little toe. It's barely perceptible at first, but becomes increasingly acute with walking, becoming unbearable around the quarter mile mark.

I've since learned to deal with it, changing out of the shoe whenever I need to do extended walking. I have since decided to purchase the Strand in a better fit. I have taken home both the 7E and 7.5D. Each minimally alleviates the problem, to the extent that stretching may or may not take care of it. Each also introduces heel slippage to a point which may or may not cause blistering at the heel.

Any thoughts? The only ideas I have are trying a 7.5C or giving up on the last entirely. I'm hesitant to make the $300 investment in either size I've tried in hopes that breaking in will alleviate both the pinching and the heel slippage.

11. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

^ have to try 6.5E? 5 lasts is tricky, I usually wear 11D on the 7 lasts and 2 lasts, but I wear a 10.5E on the 5 lasts and it fits real nice. Some of the SFers agree that 5 lasts is slightly longer and wider.

btw, I measure a 10.7D on the AE size chart from AE.com.

12. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

That's another possibility, and I might stop by to try them on today. I'm concerned that, despite my measurements, a 6.5 would prove too short. There's very little extra room lengthwise in my 7Ds (maybe a third of an inch? It already feels like the ball of my foot may be too far forward in a 7)
    , and every pair of lower quality dress shoes I've ever owned has been a perfect fit in an 8.

13. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I think you should have the SA measured your foot for you while u standing.

i think a good rule of thumb that I always use is that when I try them on I want to walk them out right away.

14. sammymvpknight

sammymvpknight Member

This is a two part appreciation post. First, Allen-Edmonds. Not only do they make incredible shoes but they are the only fine shoecrafter that is affiliated with the US military exchange. It was refreshing to see that not only was Allen-Edmonds the standard issue shoe provider for the Navy during WWII, but they still are affiliated and give discounts through the military exchange. I got a pair of AE 1st quality Strands for $170 (no shipping, no taxes). Unbelievable.

Cold Iron and itsmejson get lots of credit for notifying me that the military exchange has an affiliation w/ AE, and also has a special program to get quotes for shoes not on their website. I owe you guys. Thanks!

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I had fit issues too with the 5 last (Shell Strand and 5th Street Boot). My second smallest toe on my right foot was getting pinched for the first several wears (7-8). Eventually they've loosened up and I don't have issues with either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.