Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

I'm dead set on a pair of burgundy shell shoes and would prefer a pair of Cambridge or MacNeils but unfortunately the only seconds in stock of such criteria in my size are the Bradley and the Leeds. Of the two I prefer the Leeds and as such I will likely request a pair of Burgundy Shell Leeds when AE processes my exchange. They received my Burgundy Shell MacNeils in the mail on Monday (returned due to the left and right shoes being patinated differently, probably due to being display seconds that were left out in the sun for too long).

My question is this:
    Will I be able to wear the Leeds to job interviews (at law firms; if this helps clarify anything) with a solid navy suit?
    I'm a little wary that the fact that they are PTBs may render them improper for such use.
    But I have heard otherwise. I want to play it safe and if they won't work, I'll just stick to a pair of black calf PAs.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Edit: FYI after getting speaking with various customer service reps over the past week or so, AE cordovan seconds will be much harder to come by in the future as any new cordovan shoes will be made to order. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. lostron

lostron Senior member

i agree, i am also considering getting the delray or lasalle - both very versatile

3. nicedream

nicedream Active Member

There is also the Brooks Brothers rebranded Elgin on sale now for $223.50. Up to you if the small difference in price is worth it for the rubber covered sole and the cushioning added the footbed.

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Do you already have the black PAs? If so, wear those on the interview. You could probably get away with the Leeds, but some feel that bluchers do not go with suits. I don't know how conservative this law firm is, so I would stick with the PAs.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Stick with the black Park Avenues for law firm interviews.

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I wouldn't wear leeds formally. In fact its one of my least favorite shoes made by AE

7. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Also, it's just a good rule of thumb to never wear open laced shoes (bluchers) with a suit. Closed lace only (bals), and preferably black if you're going to be interviewing.

Good luck!!

8. calidist

calidist Senior member

I wish my feet would agree with such [​IMG]

9. Al in Philly

I don't understand. What's the issue?

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Due to the restrictive nature of the balmoral lacing, it can be tough for someone with high arches to fit in these types of shoes. Bluchers offer more flexibility in terms of the tightness of the lacing. I assume that is what the poster is referring to.

11. Al in Philly

I've never heard of this, seen a documented case of this, nor have ever known anyone to have this problem. With such a variety of lasts and manufacturers in the world, I would like to think that there must be a specific bal out there that can fit each specific foot comfortably.

Is tightness what that poster was referring to, or will it simply not go on his foot?

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Nowadays, I think this is more an issue of personal preference and not a rule. I prefer closed lacing with suits, but there are many bluchers out there that look nice with suits as well. And msulinski is correct, some people with high arches find balmorals too uncomfortable.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I've read about this same issue on here before also. I think they can get their foot in but there is too much pressure over the top of the shoe where the lacing is. I remember seeing a picture from someone just this week where the lacing on an oxford shoe was very wide even though the rest of the shoe fit. It may have even been in this thread.

14. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

15. evolved

evolved Senior member

I've been told that if you contact AE that they can accommodate the rubber sole on the Dalton's. Also, I don't need them to be fully waterproof, I just need them to not be totally shot to hell if they get some moisture on them. I like the Bayfield, but I've heard of various quality issues with them (grommets coming off, CXL leather being sub-par, etc.). I really like the North Platte, but it's not offered currently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.