1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seer

seer Senior member

Why are you guys posting Frye stuff on an AE thread? Go away...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

3. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Resoled brown Chromexcel Bayfields today:

[​IMG]

4. peteyyytran

peteyyytran Active Member

I will definitely give that a go... Need to get some navy chinos now

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I wish I'd picked up a pair of Bayfields when they were on sale. It's raining today, so I wore a pair of blucher boots that a local outfit made for me; the quality is at least as nice as AE (and it was great fun to pick out the leather from a stack of hides, then discuss details with the lady who'd be making them) but it's slowly dawning on me that I can never have too many dress boots.

Those look great. I get the feeling they get better with age.

6. elbastardocalvo

I really like them; very comfortable, and very tough with the Horween cxl leather. I had them resoled with a butyl leather sole, and prefer it to the mini lug sole that came with the boots originally.

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

That pic doesn't do the Macneil Justice, and those Fryes need broguing on the toe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

This is not to revive the shell v. calf topic, but I thought the following link (picture) was apropos in demonstrating the shine each gets:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/new-arrivals/

I have both the shoes pictured, albeit on the Hampton Last, and not the Plaza. So the comparison is one I know from personal experience.

A good Friday to one and all.

9. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

That Alden Cigar Tanker boot is a thing of beauty.

10. elbastardocalvo

FYI Amazon currently has first quality Park Avenue in black for $288, in a variety of sizes. Not quite as good as the Nordstrom sale, but still about $45 off full retail. Ships free with Prime.

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I know this gets discussed a fair amount, but usually it's a bit disjointed here or there, so I wanted to ask a question. I just got my Walnut Strands (and they're beautiful) in the mail. They're perhaps a little darker than I'd like/than I see in pics a lot (as is the case with many people's experience, it seems). I don't want to order the walnut colored AE polish because that seems to darken things further/keep it dark. I'm on the fence between the Neutral and the Cognac colors. I've seen both mentioned as possibilities for "lightening" the leather.

Is there an appreciable difference between using one vs. the other? Does the Neutral simply maintain the original color while the Cognac lightens? Or do both technically lighten the leather, but to different degrees?

12. sevenfoldtieguy

I use the walnut polish and have never experienced a noticeable darkening. If you have concerns, just get Saphir Reno and call it a day. :D

13. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

certainly there are some color variations between alden shell and ae shell (owing to alden's post-horween processing, as they say), but do the two companies' shell polish differently? (does one achieve a better shine?)

14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

My haul from the last two Nordstrom's sales: Burgundy Cliftons and Walnut Strands.

I've applied a coat of AE cleaner/conditioner and AE cream polish (merlot, walnut).

Should I use wax polish as well before wearing or wait until the creases build?

Hmm...can't figure out how to upload my pic from photobucket. Keeps saying its not compatible.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Cut and paste the "direct link" from Photobucket

16. sevenfoldtieguy

Depends on your definition of better (and I am not being sarcastic). Aldens will achieve a higher shine (i.e., comparatively speaking they will be more shiny); AE's can achieve a nice shine, it is just more opaque. It's a personal preference thing. In previous posts the last couple of days, I have given explanations of this and the reasons therefor.

17. sevenfoldtieguy

No. In terms of treating them before their first wear, you have certainly done enough.

18. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

It still won't let me upload my picture. Can you not do this from an iphone?

19. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

How many wears before I can work on them with wax polish for a mirror shine?

20. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

[​IMG]

McTavish's: ruined or improved?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.