Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgitswes

omgitswes Senior member

I ended up buying the Bayfield boots since they were only 140.
    Very nice, but they're a bit too wide. only size they had was EEE figured, I'll just wear thicker socks.

How long did it take you guys to break them in? Because right now they make a lot of noise because of how stiff they are

2. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

If one shoe is rubbing your ankle and creasing, it's likely defective. I'd suggest taking it back and exchanging it. Does the Norwich come in "C" widths?

3. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

It turns out that the advertising copy on the AE web site should be taken with a grain of salt. It's more than a bit misleading.

The AE web site says: "All of our shoes can be ordered in mis-matched and special sizes for a nominal charge through our Consumer Assistance Center at 1-800-235-2348."

But when you contact AE customer service and ask for a "C" width in a 10.5 shoe, here's what they say:

"We can mis-match shoes and order shoes in special sizes provided we have the last to make the shoe in that particular size. A last is the form that the shoes are shaped on.
    We do not have the ā€œCā€ width last for the Kenwood model. We would be unable to manufacture this shoe in the 10.5 C width size."

How much does it cost AE to make a "C" last? What's the big deal?

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Hmm.. I'm not sure, but I'm going to go back in tomorrow.. God I'll feel like such an ass, asking for another exchange :plain:

They'll probably think I'm scamming them or something.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

$29 AE Leeds came in today. They are nice everyday work shoes for the office. Bulkier than the Clifton, but they have a nice overall shape.

Really like them for what they are going to be used for.

Question though, did AE ever make the Leeds in a pebbled leather? All the current photos show it as smooth.

6. GHo

GHo Senior member

got my Park Aves from ebay. paid $120 and probably worn 5-10 times.

Absolutely love them. not sure why i waited so long to buy them.

:thumbs-up:

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

8. JChance

JChance Senior member

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

My park aves got wet in the rain and the water soaked through to the soles such that I can feel it through my socks. I left them leaning against a wall at an angle (toe touching the ground, heel against the wall) to aid the drying process for a day, but they're still kind of wet. I just went ahead and put the cedar wood inserts in, hoping they'll absorb the rest of the moisture.

What's the proper protocol to drying such leather-soled shoes?

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

My strands got soaked walking home a few weeks ago. I instantly put the shoe trees in, they help absorb the water as well. Rotate the shoe trees in and out every 6 hours or so until dry. I placed mine on their side personally, so the shape would not get warped. Condition and cream once fully dry. Should be fine.

11. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

After what I've read, you should not put shoe trees in at once, but put som newspapers etc. into the shoe to soak up the moisture. After this has been done, you can put in the shoe trees.

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I bought a pair of MacNeil's in the Walnut Grain Calf during the sale. They look terrific in person. But I have to echo the quality control comments on here. While my pair has no deal-breakers, the finishing on the sole edges is less than perfect. It just looks like some small spots were missed when applying stain. Thankfully no defects on the upper that I can see yet. But it does seem like they are letting less than perfect shoes slip out the door - maybe a product of ramping up production volume beyond their ability to manage it?

[​IMG]

13. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I need another pair of shoes to wear with suits. Thoughts of the following three shoes and price. Which would you go for? All are black

Lombards $129
    Boston $220.15
    Norwich $220.15

14. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

MacNeil is probably my favorite AE b/c of versatility, preferred MC casual look and #7 is best for me. I've had my Walnut Grain since for years and I prefer them with scuffs, nicks and bruises. Adds more character imo

I personally would wear the Boston for suiting, more elegant because of its elongated last; Norwich is nice too, but i tend to wear double sole on the casual side...I think you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I totally agree. I've been looking for a pair of walnut grained longwings, and I already have a pair of MacNeils in black that fit me well. So I was happy to see they now offer these in walnut grain and on sale.

Norwich is on the Executive last, same as the Lombard. These run really narrow. Not sure how the Boston runs, but if you have wider feet, try on the Executive last shoes before you buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.