• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the fake distressed look.

I like the fake distressed look. If they made a real undistressed version in the same color I'd buy that, but they don't.

Picked up the red Sedona about four hours ago. I will be sporting these tomorrow. Happy Father's Day everyone.

itsmejson

Reaction score
I like the fake distressed look. If they made a real undistressed version in the same color I'd buy that, but they don't.

Picked up the red Sedona about four hours ago. I will be sporting these tomorrow. Happy Father's Day everyone.

I agree w/ the fake distressed look. Went to AE store today and actually got to see them in person.
- the blue sedona looked really nice :)
- congrats on your new shoes, report back on how they feel after wearing them

karwoski

Reaction score
I am struggling with deciding what size Strand to order. I have a pair of 13D Neumoks that fit great and a pair of 13D Park Aves that are on the tight side width-wise. The Strand, Neumok, and Park Ave are all 5 last but the Neumok feels, to me, noticeably wider than the Park Ave, and I'm wondering whether to try a 13D or 13E Strand. Trying on in a store is not an option - I don't think there's a place that carries them near me. I could return if I get it wrong online, but I'd prefer to get it right the first time. Has any one else noticed different widths within the 5 last and whether the Strand is on the wider or narrower side of the last?

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am struggling with deciding what size Strand to order. I have a pair of 13D Neumoks that fit great and a pair of 13D Park Aves that are on the tight side width-wise. The Strand, Neumok, and Park Ave are all 5 last but the Neumok feels, to me, noticeably wider than the Park Ave, and I'm wondering whether to try a 13D or 13E Strand. Trying on in a store is not an option - I don't think there's a place that carries them near me. I could return if I get it wrong online, but I'd prefer to get it right the first time. Has any one else noticed different widths within the 5 last and whether the Strand is on the wider or narrower side of the last? 

Neumoks, although also on the '5' last seem to fit a bit wider then the PA, FA and Strand etc. I would probably guess because they are unstructured so they are a bit wider and they are softer and stretch quicker. cant say for sure that you should size up to 13 E though (you might be better off with a 13D and breaking it in but cant say for sure)

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree w/ the fake distressed look. Went to AE store today and actually got to see them in person.
- the blue sedona looked really nice :)
- congrats on your new shoes, report back on how they feel after wearing them

Will do.

The waxy leather of the Neumok does not fit as tightly to the last as standard calf. Hence, they will fit a little bit larger. I went down one width from a 11.5C to a 11.5B on the Neumok. My Neumoks are the best fitting shoe I own.

Neumoks, although also on the '5' last seem to fit a bit wider then the PA, FA and Strand etc. I would probably guess because they are unstructured so they are a bit wider and they are softer and stretch quicker. cant say for sure that you should size up to 13 E though (you might be better off with a 13D and breaking it in but cant say for sure)

+1

The waxy leather of the Neumok has more give similar to a CXL leather (though not quite as soft and pliable). Nonetheless, your foot may be different. I would try both the 13D and 13E if possible.

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
Didn't get enough replies to this in another post so I just wanted your guy's expert AE opinions.

I got a used pair of Macneil's in burgundy shell. My first time buying used, and I freaked out when I saw white gunk inside the leather lining within the toe box. Thought it was some sort of weird fungus only to realize later it was glue. However, before my realization, I took a tooth brush and aggressively scrubbed all over the sides of the toe box in hopes to clear the white gunk. Scrubbed so hard, that I effectively turned the leather lining inside the toe box into suede!

Now that I realize it's only glue...will my damage reduce the shoe's longevity? Will the leather lining inside the toe box wear away with regular use to the point that it goes through to the cordovan now? I was hoping to experience the longevity of shells, but worry that the leather lining will make this impossible now. Or is this really no biggie?

ScreenShot2012-06-12at85655PM.png

ScreenShot2012-06-12at85811PM.png

ScreenShot2012-06-12at105441PM.png

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have rubbed off inner leather lining on 2 pairs of my RL shoes. (I was stretching them by stuffing more and more folded and squashed papers around the toe box then somehow squashing the shoe tree inside). Well the it didn't help that much in terms of stretching the shoes but I realized forcing shoe trees in side shoes did damage the leather lining. Based on your pictures ..... damages on my pairs at least 5 times worst than your. I have been wearing my pairs for over a year now ..... and no drama.
I know how you feel right now... but don't worry mate. They will be fine.

aglass

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the quality/details of the AE Corporate Casuals line? I've seen them pop up a bit on eBay and they seem to sell lower but I couldn't find any real relevant info on them.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some shoes from the Corporate Casuals collection - Ellsworth, Holbrook, and Benton (started as a Corporate Casual). The line was introduced in the late 1990's in repsonse to the first wave of the "business casual" trend.

Here is a link the Fall 1998 AE catalog that shows some Corporate Casuals. http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/fall-1998-catalog

The quality is on par with all the other AE shoes I have. The main difference is the Vibram sole and some more cushioning in the insole - they have the removeable inserts like my Parliaments. The styles are more casual, but I would rate the quality the same as their other shoes. And they can be recrafted as both my Holbrooks and Ellsworths have been recrafted.

Chris

Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of AE (kind of). I went with the Brooks Brother walnut Strand second quality (which was practically without flaw). At the Destin outlet they have a sale of $199 for the Strand and Park Avenue equivalent. If you sign up for a free VIP membership at the Silver Sands outlet website you can print a coupon for 20% off. So I ended up paying $160...a fantastic deal. I don't have much use for the Park Avenues...but that is a deal tough to pass up. Still thinking about it.

The shoe I truly want is the New Orleans. But I was hoping on finding it in a darker color than walnut. Does anyone know where I can find a Chili New Orleans? I see that Allen Edmonds has knocked down the price to $249 for first quality. Maybe it will be discontinued soon and I can get an unreal deal at the outlet on a second.

violethour1951

Reaction score

A recent picture of my Strands while at work.

I've been going back and forth on what boots to get......the wife and I are going to Europe over late December/early January and I want a boot that could take some rain/sleet during the day yet still be able to wear them to dinner that night with a nice sweater or sport coat. I was thinking possibly the chocolate calf Dalton with the rubber sole. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

Very nice!

lastdonb

Reaction score
Pictures are always welcome!

I would go with a bigger size. Your feet will sink into the shoe as cork breaks in but not that much. Do you have a high instep?

Sound advice. A half size larger will move the throat slightly forward but should not drastically alter other aspects of the fit. If you like the width, rule of thumb is go up one size and down one width.

I'll agree that the "closed" shape does look cleaner and I would rather have them look like evolved's. Don't think I have a high arch, but most of my lace shoes have that type of V but are comfortable. In a slip on, Grayson, Arlington, they are always tight across the top and I normally have to have them stretched.

I sent the picture to Adam at the Brookfied store to see what he says. Whether a "D" would close the gap a lot or just be too loose, don't know.

Appreciate the comments. I did go to the Phoenix AE store and tried on a pair of 9 1/2 D's (in Park Ave, but same last) they were too wide, heel slipped, felt very loose. The sales rep said a 10 would be too long, the 9 1/2's have plenty of room in the toe box already. Adam, the manager from the Brookfied store replied and said, "The most important thing is that the shoes fit well. How it laces up doesn't really matter as long as they fit well." The sales rep at the Phoenix store basically said the same thing. Wore them yesterday for 5-6 hours and they fit great. As I had said before, pretty much all other lace up AE's I have have the same "V" look, some not as pronounced as others. Guess the walnut color makes the V look more pronounced. Great shoes. Still can't figure out why there seconds.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads