Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior member

I wear an 11B, so I've got a pretty narrow foot. I would guess once you break them in that they will come closer together.

2. evolved

evolved Senior member

3. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I live in New England, so anything I wear sees the winter! Do you think that would be okay for the Neumoks?

4. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

People seem to favor the v-shape, but I like the "closed" shape better on oxfords. What size are you?

5. evolved

evolved Senior member

I like the closed better, as well....it looks "cleaner" for some reason. I'm size 11B.

6. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

+1 on the "closed" shape. To me, the "v" shape looks like the shoe doesn't fit.

7. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

The shoes I received had no visible "faults".
    In my mind "refurbished" would be a pair of shoes that had been used and then put back to factory specs, (recrafted as it were) but still used. Seconds are "non-used" still new with some type of fault that prevents them from being sold in the main stores.

Again, after close inspection (and I've owned over a dozen AE's) I couldn't tell you what caused these to be seconds. Retail was $335 these were $259. (free shipping)

8. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I am looking to buy a formal dress shoes, however I cannot get pass the small cap toe on the Park Ave and the Fifth Ave, are there any other options?

dark brown Strand maybe, I already have a walnut Strand and they are really nice.

Any one can suggests other options that I can go for?

9. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

I'll agree that the "closed" shape does look cleaner and I would rather have them look like evolved's. Don't think I have a high arch, but most of my lace shoes have that type of V but are comfortable. In a slip on, Grayson, Arlington, they are always tight across the top and I normally have to have them stretched.

I sent the picture to Adam at the Brookfied store to see what he says. Whether a "D" would close the gap a lot or just be too loose, don't know.

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I use Obenauf's HDLP on my Black Hills but they are the only AE shoes\boots that I use it on. For bison leather I use Obenauf's leather oil and also on my AE Eastports. I first learned of HDLP when I had Russell Moccasin custom build my Grand Slam Sheep Hunters for me 6 or 7 years ago. I use it on all of my hunting and hiking boots but it is not for dress leather. Because of it my Sheep Hunters, LL Bean Cresta Hikers, 7" & 10" Meindl Perfekt are all the same brown color. It does work extremely well and I treat my boots at least 2x a year with it. Russell has a good article on leather care (not dress shoes though) here-

http://russellmoccasin.com/leather_care.html

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think that might be the wrong mindset to take. I thought seconds were shoes that could not pass for first quality, therefore are sold at a discounted price because of this. I'm not sure if AE does anything to the shoe to bring them closer to first quality before selling them as seconds.

Both of the seconds I purchased have noticeable faults to me. My first pair I didn't notice until I received my second pair where the heel stacks were two different widths. I compared the first pair and the they indeed also had two different width heel stacks.

12. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

AE Jefferson

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If you are going for formal, I don' think the Strand will do. You should check out the perforated cap toe at Brooks Brothers. 30% off for today only.

14. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

good call.

I think the BB perforated cap toe is the AE fifth ave?

15. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I've heard this said quite a few times lately, and while I agree that the Fifth Avenue toe cap is too small, I find that the Park Avenue's is typically right on the money. YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.