Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Player's walnut is awesome. It's on a very narrow last, though, so you need to be sure it fits.

2. goldenboy16

goldenboy16 Member

is there a difference in "appropriateness" of oxfords vs blutchers? i.e. is one more casual than the other, how do they play in for formal wear/office wear? i personally like the deeper color of the mcallisters or strands (not burnished walnut, just walnut).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Ah, sorry, I missed your comment about needing a dress shoe.

General guidelines are that oxford is more formal than blucher. Also, a darker color would be considered dressier than walnut. I'd say the Player is perhaps a little too casual for dress wear, especially if you're looking at the McAllister and Strand in brown, instead of walnut; though even in walnut they look dressier to me than the Player.

4. goldenboy16

goldenboy16 Member

thanks for the input. this is what i thinking too. i'll probably wait for the next sale to get my AE's.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

That picture was taken when sitting. When standing\walking they bow even worse when the shoe flexes. I have just over 20 pairs of AE shoes & boots and the Bradley's are the first time I have experienced the bowing issue to this extent. It isn't restricted to shell, it happens in calf also and someone on here went through several pair of Strands and they all bowed so he gave up. I think it is isolated to certain production runs and sizes when it occurs. Some people it doesn't seem to bother and that is the bottom line IMO. It does bother me when walking and the cuff exposes the shoe it catches my eye and is a distraction.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

According to Jos. A Bank it is on the same last and the exact same in fit and quality. See this Q&A from their website, http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_299318 :

Q: Is this the same quality as other balmorals from AE, such as the Park Avenue, Strand, Fifth Avenue, etc.? Also, is it built on the same last as those other shoes (same fit in length, width, etc.)?

If I'm buying a shoe for the same price as the shoes I can get from AE, I want to be sure it's the same quality, etc.
    Asked on 1/19/2012 by Matthew

A: Yes, these Allen Edmonds shoes are made with the same workmanship, European leathers and in the same factory that Allen Edmonds makes the rest of their line in USA. This shoe is built on the Fifth Ave last and is identical in fit , leather & quality that you will find in Allen Edmonds shoes. Thank you for shopping with us.

Answered on 1/20/2012 by Jos. A. Bank from Hampstead, MD

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

^ ^ ^

By the way, $129 for a pair of Fifth Avenues is an awesome deal. Congrats!

8. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Exactly. I have a pair and love them, but they are narrow. They them on first if you are able.

9. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

The walnut leather employed on the Mcallister, Strand, and Player's is identical in color.

10. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Great collection, especially the Dalton shells (since I just got mine yesterday!). Yours seem to be lighter and more burnished than mine, but that may be just the picture. BTW, could anyone who owns a pair of Dalton shells compare this AE last (#5 I think) to the closest Alden last? Meaning, which Alden last is the closest to the #5 AE last? Thanks.

Sorry, the above reference was to Pastor who posted pics of his Dalton shells which I was admiring.

11. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

It seems as though the Merlot McAllisters dont take a shine very well...Ive polished them (Using AE Merlot polish), buffed them, brushed them etc., but they just dont shine up as well as the 5th Aves...Im not sure if I have received some sort of unshineable burnished version or what, but they just dont seem to take a shine...maybe Ill try wax instead of polish next.

12. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I picked up Neumok (Blue) and Strand (Walnut). I can take some pics when they arrive!

13. reydogg23

reydogg23 Senior member

Are we able to order pairs from the Tent Sale by requesting a list of pairs in our size from the Shoe Bank?

14. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Aren't the Dalton Boots on the #1 last? I'm not the best to ask because I seems to be all over the board on sizing. Here is a good rundown of some of the shoes I have and how they fit.

AE Dalton Shell Boots (1 last ) - 9.5E - These fit absolutely perfect
    AE Bradley Shell (1 last ) - 9.5E - These fit perfect
    AE Dundee Shell (1 last) - 9.5D - These are a little snug but the 9.5E fell off my feet ??? Don't understand this at all?
    AE Cambridge Suede (5 last) - 9.5E - A little snug but still a great fit
    AE Nuemora (new 333 last) - 9 E - I've never sized down this low before but these fit perfect. (Thanks to the SA for ordering me several pairs to try on!)
    AE Fifth St Boot (5 Last) - 9.5E - Perfect fit
    AE Weybridge (7 last ???) - 10D - great fit - These could fit better but I think it's the shape of the last.
    AE Strand (5 last ) - 9.5E - perfect fit

Alden LWB #8 shell (Barrie Last) - 9E - A little big but wearable
    Alden LWB Cigar shell (Barrie Last ) 9D - A little snug but wearable
    Alden LWB Tobacco Calf (Barrie Last) - 9D A little snug but wearable
    Alden Captoe Boot #8 shell (Grant Last) 9.5D - Perfect fit
    Alden Ravello Shell Wingtip Boot (Barrie Last) 9.5D - A little large but they fit when wearing boot socks
    Alden Cigar Shell Indy (Trubalance Last) 9D - Perfect Fit
    Alden LWB Sand Suede (Leydon last) 9.5D - These are my best fitting Aldens!

Hope this helps.

15. Booter

Booter Senior member

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.