1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seer

seer Senior member

Invest in a shoe stretcher - it will come in handy for your preset problem and in the future.

2. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

I too suffer from a larger right foot. I find it very helpful to fit the larger foot. This lesson came after many $300 dollar mistakes. YMMV.

3. seer

seer Senior member

Amen! And I try to buy American whenever I can. Also if AE or Alden can't satisfy one's shoe needs then I question those requirements.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

5. evolved

evolved Senior member

Have you tried on any Alden boots? I love the look of them, but from reading it seems like you need to have a fairly wide foot to fit into most of their lasts comfortably. I've got a narrow foot, which I think is making me hesitate with purchasing a pair.....

6. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I need a bad-weather business casual shoe and would buy those tan Aberdeens in a heartbeat if they existed in an AA width.

7. gooter

gooter Senior member

8. seer

seer Senior member

9. seer

seer Senior member

I have wide feet and I never found an Alden boot/chukka that did not kill my feet -and believe me I tried. And recently I purchased the Katmai chukka - it took one day day to break in and my feet feel great - very comfortable.

10. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

no, but if you go bespoke (Gaziano and Girling level) I believe they come with lasted shoe trees.

AE's are great and all but if I could afford Gaziano and Girling I would divorce AE's. :satisfied:

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I am hearing late September for boots - so hang on and they will be there soon.

12. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Is there an easy conversion to find my size in the different lasts'? I am a 12B in the 5 last. I am looking at the Bayfield 1 last.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I am a 10D in the 5 last and also the 1 last. I have the Bayfield in both brown CXL and black, the fit is the same on both boots snug but not tight. They are a very comfortable boot and many others have said the same. I get by with light weight smartwool socks in both boots but if you wanted thicker socks for cold weather use I would size up. A fair number of pictures on here of the brown, the black not so much:

[​IMG]

14. PittiConcept

PittiConcept Member

Any thoughs on Allen Edmonds Vernon ?

[​IMG]

15. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

Quick question, I have had my eyes out for a dark brown office shoe since I have walnut, merlot, and black. I have my eyes on a new old stock pair of Hinsdales that might fit the bill. However, there is damage on the left toe that looks almost like it was crushed.

How apparent would that damage be when the leather is cleaned up, polished etc.? Is it something that could be repaired?

Thanks
    [​IMG]

16. seer

seer Senior member

Heresy! ; )

17. seer

seer Senior member

That is not SOON! : (

18. papercutshurt

papercutshurt Member

Yeah I did manage to find out about these, but as a stop-gap measure, would it be advisable to simply stick a shoe tree I use for my other pairs of shoes into them for a bit? I reckon that these might also have the effect of stretching out the leather in the right parts.

19. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Thanks, what has been the longest distance you have walked in them? I would like to pair them with jeans and chinos around campus and when I am in NY.

:embar:

Fine fine, I'll make AE's my beater shoes :devil:

20. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

WHY DID THEY PUT THE ABERDEEN ON THE 2 LAST. NO ONE LIKES THE 2 LAST. :( :( :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.