Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Such service is horrifying...

2. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

My strands are fine. However, this has been a problem pointed out b4. The consensus was how much you paid for em, how bad it was off, were they seconds, how anal are you? If it's minor, only you will notice it and 99.99% of the population won't.

3. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

[​IMG]

4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

AE makes a good product but it is unfortunate that there are manufacturing issues such as this. I would consider this more an issue related to the construction of the shoe than CS. Granted CS could have provided a new pair after they were sent in the first time but it appears they are making it right this time around.

If you participate in the Alden thread, you would also read about numerous imperfections, flaws, etc. However, I think AE is more accomodating (not to say Alden is not) and willing to go beyond to make things right. Think of any other shoe manufacturer in the $200-$350 price point and do you think any of them (as I write think I cannot think of any manufacturers...) would go through all this?

I hope your new pair will be much better. To comment on shell, I have shell shoes/boots from 4 different manufacturers and all from Horween. Although they are from the same source, the finish vary depending on the brand. Personally, I think Alden's additional finish on the shell is so much better (e.g., holding a shine) than others.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

5. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I would be horrified and furious if that had happened to me.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The medallion on mine is off, but I decided to keep them as I didn't think I would get another chance at walnut shell strands at that price.

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Sorry friend, this is a bad first impression indeed... :(

8. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

I tried burnishing my lombards. First time I have ever tried doing this, and I am fairly happy after the 45 min trying. They will get better the more I do it. Here is a pic[​IMG]

9. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

thx shiny, I contacted AE today and they will be replacing them for me, not because of the medallion being off but
    more so with the heel splitting. I was surprised that they would do this for me because it was purchased through
    aafes military site.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

To add to my earlier comment, this is why I appreciate the service my local AE store gives me. The times things have been wrong with manufacturing, they personally call the factory, talk to the person in charge of QA, and ask them to personally pick me a pair off of the line. That, and you get to see the shoes in person :)

11. smilelouis

smilelouis Well-Known Member

ok, thanks a lot! guess i'll pay a visit to the local AE retail store again:)

12. smilelouis

smilelouis Well-Known Member

yeah, it worked. i have the conditioner as well.

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

to the guy with the walnut strands, try standing on them for a bit. they may just need a little pressure to seat the heel rubber. If not, a quick squirt of glue and its done.

14. Prof

Prof New Member

My issue is exactly where you drew the red line, not the bottom crack. I hope AE is listening. It appears there is a quality control issue popping up too often in the same spot to be "rare."
    I love the look of my shoes but i bought them with long term in mind and now I have concerns... may have to rethink my next purchase options. The good news is, AE has a reputation for superb customer service.

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Especially in plain toes, like the Leeds, shell is great. The creases or rolls give the shoes their character.

Agree with your list, but will add that with a little maintenance, just brushing after each wear, shell will look fantastic. also, AE shells come with better J. Rendenbach soles, which will wear better than AE's standard soles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.