• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@stash, agree with JSO but also wanted to comment. I don't know what you mean by like a glove
. The 65, 333 and 222 all fit me in the same size but they are all elongated to various degrees. All are comfortable enough but I wouldn't say like a glove. The 511 has a more classic fit, meaning shorter, rounder. I find them almost too short. So I would start with 9D but wouldn't be surprised if you needed 9.5.

The 222 is really hard for a lot of people to fit, I think. I've had two pairs of shoes in it and neither one has an ideal fit. I went to my usual size (14D) and I had a ton of extra space in the toe, and yet the boots still crushed my pinky toe, and then I went to a 13EEE and the boots fit my toes (mostly) but my heel swims in it and I practically have to wear two pairs of socks.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore tan suede Strandmoks today.......

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try the 222 last. With the 108, I think I'm borderline between 13B and 12D. It sounds like the 222 would be very similar.

Others may disagree but I would say that the 108 & 222 are pretty similar. I would probably air on the 12D side -

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't believe how much newuser found at BCF. I went to one locally about a week or two ago and found one pair of red mctavish that seemed to have mismarked size and were no good. Maybe I will try again...

RE: The earlier question about Dalton fit. I tried a pair of Daltons and found them MUCH wider than the 65 last. I was getting deep folds in the vamp and a lot of heel slip. I wouldn't say they run narrow-ish like the 65 last. That having been said, I think most people run the same size as the 65 last but just anticipate a different fit. Heel slip, I understand, is a somewhat common complaint with the Dalton, for what it's worth.
Spot on - couldn't have said this better.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 5th Ave wasn't normal. Had rubber sole (and not dainite )

So seeing all those pics inspired me...even though by late Fri I am pretty dead drunk (like I am now), decided to check out a BCF close to a major city :). Anyway, I didn't take pics, and most of these were either modified in some way and didn't have names or had stickers covering the names, so I'll have to go completely by memory, which will be tough. But I'll try anyway -

I was mainly looking in the small sizes (I'm Willow for Christ-sake). Wanted those Hyde Streets bad, would have taken any/all colors. Saw two pairs of 7D Big Surs, got one, left the other. One pair of Winnetka 6E - tried those but they were swimming on me. Two pairs of 7D or 7E walnut black hills - have those already, didn't want a duplicate pair. 7.5D Fairmont (I think?) but the 79 last sucks and 7.5 is too big for me. 7.5D Rutledge which pissed me off to no end - why couldn't they have had 7?! One lone hyde street like 10.5 I think? Noticeably no bleekers, no maxfields. In the giant sizes, one suede strandmok w/gumlite, a bunch of manchesters. Many pairs of voyagers in brown and blue, sizes 9 & 9.5D. No oak street, no players shoes, no spiaggia. I think that's it...I'm pretty out of it but if I remember anything else I'll edit this post.

Looking forward to wearing those Big Surs.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did pass up on the sand-colored Big Sur as it was too small for me...but look what Papa found a few days later....

A pair of Nutmeg “Big Surs” in my size for only $99!

Did I get em'?

You bet your lug-soled *ss I did! Can NOT wait to break these out come Aug/Sept/Oct. :)

Love the look of this particular style in their “Rough Collection”, and in Nutmeg, it's perfect for the Fall!

I've been verrrrrrrry lucky with the stuff I find at BCF. Even got a friend of mine a few pairs in a men's 7D—they do have a few in the small sizes, and the friend has been blown away!

Spread the appreciation, share the wealth! :)
Just wanted to say thanks again - checked out another store just now looking for the Hyde St and picked up a pair of dark tan suede Big Sur in 7D - awesome.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Others may disagree but I would say that the 108 & 222 are pretty similar.  I would probably air on the 12D side -

The AE description of the 108 also says that it is similar to the 222.

garland

Reaction score

*Similar*, yes. For most guys, definitely not the same. I suggest going a 1/2 size longer in the 222 from the 108 as a starting point. Your mileage may vary.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can we please learn proper spoiler tag etiquette when quoting posts with tons of pics? Thanks.

Hey, any tips would be appreciated. I have made about 15 posts and I do not have a clue how to create and use the little spoiler alert links. Please feel free to explain it. I am sure there are others who would like to learn it as well.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh...I've posted plenty of answers and reviews on the AE site but never actually read their last descriptions - lol.

65 is the longest narrowest last? Who wrote that? Same guy who made the gray park ave?

CGKIII

Reaction score
Some recent outings. Every time I wear the Walnut Franciscans I'm pleased by the burnishing. Black Sapienzas are a nice change of pace. Mesh Strawfuts were appropriate on a hot summer day.

xltros

Reaction score
I just got a new pair of park avenues in brown and there looks to be some sort of white substance all over them. Is this normal? What do I do with them, just wear them or wipe off the substance?

I tried to do a search, but all I saw were some similar issues on cordovan only, not standard brown Park aves.

Thanks in advance.

misterellington

Reaction score
@mreams, funny after I describe the 222, all I get is crickets....
1f60a.png
seriously though, I wish more people would try it. AE refers to the 65 as the most popular, gee I wonder why? Because that's all the stores carry maybe?

also a huge fan of the rush street, awesome shoes.

The “Players Shoe” is on the 222...and somehow, in spite of my wide-ish, flat-ish foot, it's amazingly comfortable. Sometimes, you've just gotta put the damn things on, what one knows about a particular last be damned. I was shocked. Then elated, 'cause they fit, were what i was looking for and were awesomely priced. Who knew?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads