1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Get the Delray in Merlot, so I can see pictures of it in real life. [​IMG]

2. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I actually prefer the black insoles. I feel they have a smoother feel against my foot, and I also feel they do a better job at keeping odors at bay. Not sure why, but I feel that the latest natural insole makes my feet sweat more.

3. norite

norite Member

I purchased the Black Park Avenue, Walnut Strand, Brown Fifth Avenue, and Merlot McAllister from Nordstrom and so far, I have been very disappointed with what I have received. Because Nordstrom didn't have my size in store, 7.5E, I had to wait for them to ship these shoes to my home. So far, I have received all but the Fifth Avenue.

With the shoes I have received, I found defects on all of them. In regards to the PA, one toe box was probably 1/4 of an in shorter than the other. There was also scuffs and scratches around the heel of the shoe (which I wouldn't have cared too much about had it not been for the toe box issue). When I received the Strands, the toe box was perfect. However, I noticed patches of what looked like crackings within the leather of the shoe, on the outside. And with the McAllister I recevied, there were just scuffs everywhere. I decided to return the PA and Strands for now for an exchange. The second pair of PA I received was even worse with one toe box about 1/2 an inch shorter than the other. Also, the tip of the left toe box was bulging out so much that you couldn't see much of the edge of the shoe.

I believe these shoes were shipped out directly from AE. If this is true, I am very disappointed with my first pairs of their shoes.

Do you guys think I can go to a local AE store, let them know that I purchased these shoes from Nordstrom and ask for an exchange instead of waiting for Nordstrom to be the middle man to ship them out to me?

4. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I'd expect the black to be limited to odd styles or odd sizes. For example, I got black insoles in my Cambridges, which are 10 EE. That is an unusual size, at least in the US. Frankly, I wouldn't have been totally surprised to see the lighter insoles that came before the black.

Maybe I'm too confident of leather's toughness, but I wouldn't really worry about 3 years of storage. It isn't like they are sitting in a warehouse w/o heat or AC. 30 years, then we're talking potential problems. Give them some TLC before putting them on the street, but if that leather isn't fine, it either started out with a hidden defect or it was stored very badly.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The issue with shoes sitting on the shelf for too long is not with the leather as that is easily remedied with conditioning. If I recall correctly, the issue is with the amount of time the shoe has been off the last and how it holds its shape. There were a bunch of posts a few months ago on the flexing and bowing of the quarters that many see with AE shoes along with the various things that exacerbate this. If I am remembering it right, the amount of time the shoe has been on a shelf was one of those factors.

6. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Makes sense, thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

7. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I just got back from my local menswear / shoe store and I took a peek at their Fall 2012 AE catalog. The shell cordovan Dalton they showed in the catalog is burgundy - and it looks great.

Chris

8. SJTM

SJTM Active Member

I had the same problems with my Nordstrom purchases ( see earlier posts). I returned the shoes and went across the hall at the mall to the AE store and they happily price matched ( although stated they were not advertising this fact). I ended up with a perfect pair of walnut Strands that I know are first quality.

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Long Branch boot update - the colors I saw that will be available are dark brown, brown (more reddish brown), and grey.

They also showed the Black Hills in a grey. I remember the AE sales rep telling me grey was going to be big this Fall.

Chris

10. norite

norite Member

It looks like I may have to do this. The nearest AE store to me is over a hour's commute.

11. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Has anyone returned a pair of AEs to Nordstrom through the mail?
    How long does it take them to refund you?

12. seer

seer Senior member

Did you see what color the new Long Branch/low boot was? It's a wingtip - correct?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The return label they provide you is Parcel Post. It depends on how far you are from the return center. I usually get my refund in two to three weeks.

14. evolved

evolved Senior member

[​IMG]x2

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Hmmm another offering in #8 shell that goes with pretty much everything, nice. I am looking forward to seeing those Long Branch boots in grey. Thanks for the update Chris.

16. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

definitely looking forward to seeing the Daltons in #8, however i think i am still going to have my heart set on those Aldens. Time will tell...

17. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

See post above - dark brown, brown, and grey. Yes, they are a wingtip.

They height looks to be between the Cascasde and the Dalton.

Chris

18. seer

seer Senior member

Happy, happy, joy joy! Do you like the way they look? Grey may be interesting! Of course we still do not know when they will be released - correct?

19. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

You can get a taste of what the grey might look like by taking a look at the Park Ave in the new "granite grey calf" color.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF270_1_40000000001_-1

20. seer

seer Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.