Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I like AE's PTB over Alden's, because of the Barrie last. The Alden for BB PTB last is nicer, but they have the eyelets that will eventually lose their paint... The Leeds are better IMO.

The thing about the Park ave toe cap is that it can vary so much from one shoe to the next. The pair I have in calf are pretty good in this regard, as the toe cap comes back fairly far. I have seen pics of others where it is definitely shorter than I'd like.

I do like the look of that punched cap toe bal though...

2. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Lol sorry for always talking about how great shell is.

I bought the PAs a long time ago, and wear them maybe 6 times per year. Given so little wear, it might not make sense to replace, but they have quite a lot of microcreases, which I dislike. I really abused them early in their life before I knew any better, and it shows. Incidentally, I abused a pair of burgundy shell Leeds at the same time, and I really enjoy their character.

Black shell is very different from black calf. The shell has a deep luster rather than in-your-face shine, almost like black jelly beans.. It is sort of 3 dimensional. Then, it of course gets the rolls that turn whitish from the "spew" rather than the creases, with wear. I really enjoy my black shell Leeds, and wear them the most of any of my black shoes.

I would agree that shell is the way to go from the outset, if the $ isn't a problem.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Bucksfan, I was so impressed with the black cordovan Leeds when I saw them in person. Pictures do not do them justice. Jelly beans is a great comparison.

4. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Is there another shoe company you guys would recommend in the 400 USD range?

I want a new pair of dress shoes, and I am considering the KENILWORTH but I want it to look like this:

Suggestions on accomplishing this?

[​IMG]

5. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

A thin layer of dark brown paste on the toes every few regular polishings with walnut

6. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Is it that easy? I have never polished shoes I actually cared about, I am planning on learning how to properly care for shoes soon though.

I would order the shoes in walnut correct?

7. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

I printed it out and tried to measure my feet. I don't feel like it is a trustworthy way to measure your feet for $200+ shoes. I got myself measured at the AE store in SF (Union Square); he said I am an 11C. Since many of the shoes do not come in C width, he had me try 10 1/2D and 11D. I ended up getting Neumok in 11D which works for me even with my 3/4 length orthotic inserts. I purchased McAllister's a few years ago in 101/2D which was a mistake. I can wear them only if I am not going to walk much and it is going to be a short evening. I have even considered having them stretched to see if it helps. You are better off if you get your feet measured properly before ordering. I suspect that you will wear 1/2 size larger if buying the narrower shoe versus 1/2 smaller using the wider shoe. Also it will depend on what last the shoe was made on.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Yep, that's the way to get that effect. Just don't over-do it out of the gate, as it is easier to do than to un-do.

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

[​IMG]

Hey guys so I FINALLY got my Kenilworth in size 8D. They are about 1/2 too big, they fit really comfy at the moment but they're not broken in. Should I send them back for a refund or can I get insoles and that will solve the issue?

Thoughts?

Pics were taken with my Iphone so excuse the quality

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'm confused. The walnut kenilworth already comes with this toe burnishing. As for polishing, this is one where I might only use conditioner/cleaner or Renovateur. Not sure as I've never had shoes with this type of burnishing before.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

When I tried them on, AE told me to size down 1/2 a size from what I wear for Park Avenues and Strands. I would exchange.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

The walnut has a bit of antiquing applied at the factory. to emphasize it, you could mirror shine/bull the toe. I have the dark brown Kenilworth and with a little bit of work, they can look great. I'm sure the walnut will look just as nice with a similar procedure.

Here's some info I posted on the shoecare thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/...ead-tutorials-photos-etc/200_100#post_4824265

Not sure if you guys have seen these images before...[​IMG] :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. smilelouis

smilelouis Well-Known Member

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

15. smilelouis

smilelouis Well-Known Member

my question is why they make replica of AE! if they make the replica of gucci or ferrogamo, i understand. but AE after all is a small name brand. why bother? i think you have to spend a lot to make the shoe molds and other stuff to copy other brands.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.