1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I would still give them some treatment a bit here and there. I think this is more important for cordovan leather than it is calf, but I would still at least give them some TLC twice a year, and if you don't use them that often, put them in your shoe bags and store away in their box.

Just my $0.02.

2. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

so when i stopped in to AE on Saturday to try one those Neumoras, I picked up a few odds and ends. Little did I know, I left the store with only the chili heel and edge dressing. For some reason, I could have sworn I got the brown as well for my cordovan strands... nope. Called up on Sunday, they sent me the brown, as well as a hand written thank you card...

Mr....

Thank you for your business. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

All the best,

Margaret Jackson

lol... a "thank you" card for my $4 order. very impressive.... I have absolutely zero reason to purchase online anymore. I would much rather give my business to the store that has class. Buying from the factory gives no one credit. They will even ship from the store. Obviously they would want the business and I can understand why, however they more than deserve it.

(AE on Newbury on Boston...)

3. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Soho's in multiple sizes have been put up on eBay by seller "pawhead". I just snagged a 9D Soho in cognac that looks to be in very good condition. The Soho is still my all-time favorite AE shoe and glad to get it in a color that I don't have. Already have it in black and saddle brown.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+1
    And in said pursuit have appeared downright silly.

5. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

ya, i have been looking at the 9.5D's from the same selling in cognac... gorgeous shoe. is this on the 0 last? they look identical to the Evanstons, but have a non-brogue upper...

never tried this last on before or else i would be all over them. might have to do a test fitting on that last next time i head up to boston.

6. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Yes, they are on the 0 last which is no longer in production, so unfortunately you will not be able to do a test fitting at local AE store. I've found though that the new 333 last is a similar fit to the 0 last, so you may want to do your test fitting in that last.

7. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

well if thats the case, looks like a 9D would be appropriate if I had to guess since the Neumoras needed (yet another) .5 step down.

8. delmar

delmar Senior member

About the red, white, and blue shoes: I read that AE was inundated with requests for shoes like the one-of-a-kind R,W,&B pair that they made for President Bush. There is a demand for these shoes. I'm thinking about a pair myself. I can see myself strutting into the polls on election day in a pair of these or wearing them on Veterans Day or Independence Day. I predict that many pairs will be sold.

9. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

some shoe love.... the walnuts were just conditioned/polished today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. evolved

evolved Senior member

If demand can get these created, surely we can get enough demand/requests for a boot version of the Strand, lol.

11. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

Those tricolor shoes w/ a different sole would make great bowling shoes!

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

They're used and priced at $150. I like the Soho's, but who is going to pay that for a used pair of AE's?

13. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

For me, the 0 last fits my foot the best. So I was willing to pay $150 for an almost new shoe that is discontinued - which I can have re-crafted for years to come.

14. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

15. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Anybody have experiences with sizing the larchmont, rutledge and flatiron? I know they are on the same last, but I am interested in how they fit in comparison with each other. Sometimes the blucher lacing vs bal makes a huge difference in feel (ie. kenilworth vs strands)

16. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Bose is horrible, too. Seriously, I know much more about speakers than I do dress shoes, and I know a lot about dress shoes now. Bose is crap. AE is awesome.

17. facet

facet Senior member

My Jeffersons in the wild; they've become my favourite shoe out of my small lot since I received them a couple months back. The leather is much softer compared to my PA's and Parliament, and the leather has a much stronger smell even.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  18. xxerexx

xxerexx New Member

I just picked up the neumoras, bayfields and double eagles from the shoebank. All of the defects I've noticed seem reasonably minor. On one of the neumoras there's a larger gap between the welt and where the toe cap/vamp connect to the sole and the coating on the buckles of both isn't perfect.

The double eagles have a 1/4"-1/2" section on the quarter of both where it was sewn to the tongue. I also don't know if they run a little bit wide or this is also a defect, however I'm able to tighten the laces so that both sides completely touch.

On the bayfields the cap toe is off somewhat on both and there are a few nicks/scuffs. I'm planning to keep all of them as I don't think any of the issues are enough that they will bother me.

On a side note the bayfields are the most comfortable Allen Edmonds I've worn, I don't feel like a break in is needed. Makes me want to buy more nice boots :)

To compare sizing with everyone I've been measured as a 9D by a Nordstorm associate and at another store. Every shoe I've purchased has been in 9D and with the exception of the 2 last shoes (norwich and lombard) they all seem to fit great. I find my recently purchased strands to fit great with little to no discomfort in the first three wearings which included a decent amount of walking.

The norwich and lombard feel a bit tight on the left or right little toe (different for each) though I haven't worn either one more than three or four times. I think I'm going to try to stretch them a bit before continuing to wear them as they're the only shoes that become uncomfortable by the end of the day.

19. scruffy

scruffy Member

Hi there, i'm hoping for some sizing advice....

About to order some Neumoras that are on the 333 last and was wondering how this compares to the 5 last. I have the Strand's and Delray's in a 10D that both fit fine.

Any help is appreciated as i'm ordering from Australia.

Cheers

20. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Half step down for me on the 333 last. I tried the Neumoras on Saturday. Went with a 9.5D (same as my strands and Neumok) and the toe box was pretty big, and they were noticeably wider. Went to a 9D and they fit perfect. Nice and snug.

If the strands fit your perfect in a 10D, I would suggest going 9.5D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.