1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior member

What types of shoes do you only use Saphir Reno on? I've got a pair of chromexcel Bayfields that I have yet to wear outside and was going to use the regular AE conditioner prior to actually wearing them out.

2. seer

seer Senior member

I use Saphir on all my leather shoes - it worked great on my old CXL 1000 Mile boots.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'm a recent convert and still experimenting with it, but I tend to use it on shoes for which I do not use a creme polish. If I use a creme polish, I'm still using AE's cleaner conditioner initially. So far, I'm using renovateur on my brown C&J captoes and my AE Malverns. I like creme polish on my walnut Strands and brown Delrays. I have not tried renovateur on my black Park Avenues yet, but plan on doing so soon.

Below is a picture of the C&J's with only using Renovateur.

[​IMG]

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

1. See my above post.
    2. I would start with the premium polish and see how you like it. Some people like to add wax to the toe and heel of their shoes as well, but I only do that with my black captoes.
    3. Everyone has a different routine. Check out the shoecare thread. For me, I brush with a horsehair brush and/or wipe down with a damp cloth. I then apply cleaner conditioner or renovateur and let dry. I buff renovateur, but not AE's cleaner conditioner. I then apply premium polish, let dry and buff. If applying wax to the toe and heel, I do this last. In between polishes I use a horsehair brush to buff/shine.
    4. No. Some condition weekly, but I condition about once a month. Depends on how often you wear the shoes.
    5. Looks pretty good to me. Make sure you get a different horsehair brush for each color and the right color heel/sole edge dressing for your shoes.

5. notfortheweak

notfortheweak Active Member

Just spoke to Glenn at the Newbury Store and they're going to price match for me on the Strands. Glad I double checked!

6. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Yea the SA at the Newbury store are great I'm surprised there ever was an issue of not price matching.

7. gooter

gooter Senior member

Anyone have any experience with the store at the Somerset Collection? Good, bad, ugly?

8. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Do yourself and email AE and give them your feedback for Glenn. I couldn't help but email them a month ago when I bought a couple pairs. He is one of the best salesmen I ever dealt with and deserves every bit of recognition. I was in the Saturday looking for him, but he wasn't working that day :(

9. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Yup went there 6 months apart and he remembered me.

10. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a used pair of PA's. The uppers are in great shape, but the soles had topies applied and I have no idea what is acceptable wear with these.
    [​IMG]
    Are these OK, or should I look elsewhere?

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Do they normally sew topies on as part of a resole? I thought they were glued.

Maybe that means that the leather sole underneath is in great shape. But I don't see how you avoid a full resole once the topy wears. How could you cut out the topy without removing all the threads?

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

no

13. sartorialnoob

Perhaps it was resoled with a partially rubber sole then.

14. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

They've done this for seemingly all the new AE's for BB. Very annoying.

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I scanned the last few pages of this thread and haven't seen anybody comment on these eyesores:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

etc

In the pursuit of novelty they have completely abandoned taste.

16. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I would ask the seller. Personally, anyone who puts a topy on their shoes usually is knowledgeable enough to care properly for their shoes, but I have never seen them with stitching like that before, so that is an eyebrow raiser. Also, when you apply the topy with glue, they have to scuff up the leather a good amount to make it adhere well, so regardless, the soles underneath are not going to be in "great" condition

Personally, I would pass. The only way I would buy AE's used is if I have clear view of the original leather soles, and good, pics of the uppers....

17. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

i have been pretending that i haven't seen them, so please excuse my silence lol... when i saw the "nothing wrong with some red, white, and blue" email from them, or whatever it says... i immediately deleted it because i knew the outcome was not going to be good. i was right.

18. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

they should cease to exist for putting out a shoe like that, even stacy adams isn't that stupid :plain:

19. sartorialnoob

They look like a pair given to George Bush when he visited the factory.
    [​IMG]

20. SJTM

SJTM Active Member

I have a slightly different concern. I have a few pair of AE's that see minimal wear - such as my walnut New Orleans which I wear a couple of times a year. Do you have a treatment regimen for shoes that sit a long time? My guess is leather will dry out if not regularly conditioned , whether worn or not. Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.