Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DustyDust

DustyDust Active Member

Question: has anyone used the printable Allen Edmonds Shoe Fit Guide that is provided on their website?

My width is on the line between W6 and W7, this puts me right on the line between D and E based on my corresponding length.

Anybody else have experience being right on the line in width. Did you choose D or E? How did it work out?

Much thanks

2. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Alright cool, thanks. Apparently I was living in a hole last winter when this sale was going on. I most certainly would have taken advantage of it.

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

If you bought them used (and there's no possibility of return), then I would suggest some radical surgery: A competent cobbler may be able to rebalance them. That is, sand down the heel area so that arch is not as pronounced. Some are not willing to do this. I've developed a good relationship with 2 cobblers so for me it's no problem. I had a problem similar with an old pair of shoes (not AE) and that's what my cobbler did.

Another suggestion is, if you have enough room, get some insoles and do a cutout in the area where the arch bothers you. the rest of your foot is elevated and the arch will be submerged (theoretically). Good luck.

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Chris I understand what you are saying, it took me awhile to get used to the contrast stitching. LOL years ago I purchased a pair of black Clarks while in England that had contrast stitching and first thing I did was to dye the stitching black to match the shoe. I have the Wilbert in brown and black also. I use the brown with jeans in the summer and black in the winter. Not sure exactly why, it just works for me. Took some time but I have come to appreciate the contrast stitching and never thought I would.

You have a fantastic collection by the way!

The Wilbert is a bit of a sleeper in my experience. Couple of years ago I was out back of a pub\restaurant having a cigar after supper and a guy came up to me and starting telling me his life story. He said he used to be successful like me (LOL that is relative) and used to be a controller for a large company. Then got downsized in a merger and was just a glorified bookkeeper now. I wasn't exactly dressed up and had jeans on. He kept looking down at my black Wilbert's and I do believe that was what he was measuring my "success" by.

I would agree with this for the most part. From a statistical standpoint so far for me at least it has held true. It is slight, usually not enough to change shoe size in my case like bucksfan said. I think it depends on where your foot size and foot volume falls. My shell burgundy Leeds are identical fit to my black calf Leeds however. But my shell Strands are slightly larger than other shoes on the 5 last. My shell Dalton's are definitely larger than any other shoe on the #1 last that I own, which is quite a few. Still waiting on my replacement shell Bradley's which were originally ordered Dec. 22, grhhh. The first pair exhibited extreme bowing but were slightly larger than other shoes on the same last, however very slight. Can't wait for my shell Cambridge to get here and then will see how they fit. I think it depends on where your foot falls in between sizes, and what you are comfortable with. I need to purchase more shell shoes to make an informed and educated decision. Well that will be my justification for buying them anyhow. [​IMG]

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Here, here! More shell for everyone.

6. zchen

zchen Senior member

I'm on the line between w6 and w7 as well. I find in my case it depends on the last. The 2 last shoes like Players and Lombard were too tight for comfort in D, but the 7 last shoes (MacNeil) and 1 last (Leeds, Malvern) were ok in D, on the 5 last(Strand, Cambridge) both D in my regular length and sizing .5 down in length + E width fit.

Oh by the way, does any one know if belts are part of the up coming Tent Sale? thanks

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Nice Neumoks - how do you like the unstructured feel?

Agreed, more pics, everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

8. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I find that the lack of a lining in the Neumoks makes them very comfortable. They might even be more comfortable than my Strands, which fit perfectly.

Nice shoes by the way. I tend to prefer a short strap penny loafer, but lately the cordovan Randolph is making me reconsider.

9. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I imagine I will use both laces, depending on the occasion. The green laces look better that I thought they would.

10. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

:slayer:

11. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

More pictures!

Shell macneil in black. Shell leeds in burg and black
    [​IMG]

White suede players, grey neumok, walnut lombard, burg lexington
    [​IMG]

brown combo strawfut, black fifth street, brown chrom bayfields
    [​IMG]

brown vinci, walnut dryden
    [​IMG]

brown combo shelton, and brown mora
    [​IMG]

Now to put them all away...

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Please make it happen for all of us. :D

13. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Speaking of shell, the Cambridge in burgundy shell is on sale at Zappos for $460 in select sizes.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

14. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

Nice collection. Where did you get grey neumok?

15. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

About to buy some heel and sole edge dressing, what color do you guys use for Walnut shoes? Choices are Natural, Brown, Black, and Chili. Is Natural equivalent to Neutral or is Natural an actual color?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.