Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie123

newbie123 Well-Known Member

@hohneokc

Thank you for sharing your collection, they all look great!

Love these two (Hinsdale and Lombard), but it looks like AE is no longer offering these colors (only in black) :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nater

nater Active Member

Here's the info I posted in the tent sale thread over at AAAC:

I also received the ad in the mail yesterday so I have add'l details. Official dates are June 14-24 and the Port Washington, WI and Brookfield, WI stores, or order by phone @ 262-235-6300. It says, "Save 15-50% storewide."
    Featured items:

• LaSalle (black and chili) - $139 from $234
    • Eastport (tan and brown) - $109 from $139
    • Factory second golf shoes (First Cut in Tan Dublin shown, others implied) - $199 from $259

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

4. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

Yup - I'm in CT and have done this a few times.

I prefer dealing with the Maine outlet - if they have the shoe in stock, it ships rather quickly to CT. You can reach Edward of the Freeport, ME store at (207)-865-6222

5. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Has anyone else noticed that the biggest quality control problems with AEs has been with the imported leather uppers? Rarely do I hear a problem with mismatched sizes, poor soles, or insole problems.
    Maybe AE should start producing 100% of the shoe under one roof.

6. himasugi

himasugi New Member

Just wondering, these sales will only occur at those two specific AE locations? Like, if I have an AE store near me, would they have the same prices?

7. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Hmm, maybe I will call the Maine outlet and see.

What's the usual cost of shipping? I'm assuming there's tax too? I'm just curious, because right now I could get the Elgin (first, I presume) on Amazon for $245 with no tax and free shipping (DADGIFTS coupon code and I have Amazon Prime). Just wondering what the ultimate price difference will be, and if it's worth it for seconds.

8. zero neck

zero neck Well-Known Member

^i was thinking a similar thing. I can get strands for 255 on amazon w/ prime, otherwise i'll wait for the nordstrom sale.

i dont want the hassle of ordering seconds, having them be all messed up, and returning them to get less messed up pairs.

9. nater

nater Active Member

The second-quality Strands that I bought at the Port Washington Shoe Bank yesterday had soles that were trimmed too tight at the toe. That task is performed in the USA and is a difficult one, according to the saleslady, Julie.

10. nater

nater Active Member

Shipping within the US is free from the outlets, as far as I know. My second-quality Brooks Brothers version of the Elgin will be shipped to me this week for free.

If you don't want to worry about the sales, and which locations are honoring those prices, be aware that the Brooks Brothers seconds are available at AE outlets at lower prices than their AE-branded counterparts, but they are not typically included in promotions/sales. I bought the BB version of the Strand for $199 yesterday, and the BB version of the Elgin for $179. My understanding is that there are minor differences in the BB versions of each shoe, but the biggest difference is a rubber topy installed on the sole (which is a plus in my book as I do a lot of walking outdoors).

11. zchen

zchen Senior member

If you are in the USA shipping is free from the outlet stores. The seconds I've bought ranged from retail returns that do not have visible blemish to obvious manufacturing defects ( a pair of Lombards where the entire blucher portion is off on the right shoe). There is a bit of luck to the whole process, but I've been happy with 90% of the seconds purchased.

12. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

So after having some problems with my new Daltons I decided to wear them around outside for a few days to see what happens. Much to my surprise they stretched nicely in only a few wears. They are still very snug when I first put them on but after about five minutes of wear they almost mold right to my foot. I wear a 9.5 in the strands and fifth ave, a 9 in the kenwoods and an 8.5 in the daltons. The daltons are by far the tightest fitting shoe but not uncomfortable. I assume the snugness of a shoe is all personal preference anyway.

If anyone has any questions about the daltons I'd be happy to help.

13. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

Is a Demo shoe with a visible crease considered bad? Been emailing shoebank on the leeds non cordova and they have a demo shoe, but a bad crease they say on the right shoe. Cant provide pics they say, but willing to sell to me.

14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Well, they are seconds. If the crease is where you'll naturally crease them when you wear them, it's not an issue at all. If "demo" means it was on display in a store, then the crease is probably natural from people trying it on.

What do you have to lose except for shipping charges? Also, you can return to a retail store, if there's one close to you.

15. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Can you really return seconds bought from shoe bank at a retail AE store?

You know if the retail store handle exchanges as well? I have a pair coming from the shoe bank that I'm expecting to be too big. It would be ideal if I can return the larger shoes to the retail store and order the smaller size right away (versus shipping large shoe back then waiting for small shoe to ship again).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.