1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

lol

so what do you prefer?

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

Drove BMWs for 10 years. I just switched to Audi.

3. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

wait...shit....I thought you were in undergrad.

I like the bm's, I like how they handle but I prefer the look of Mercedes. I have been in Audi's but never driven one, what Audi are you driving right now?

4. PhiPsi32

Picked up an A4 off the lot when my 540i crapped out. Nice, but a little underpowered with the I4. I'm thinking about upgrading to the S4 (I6) when the warranty runs out. Overall I'm very pleased. My main gripe is the lack of a full sized spare. I would gone with the A5 but the two door coupe is impractical (i.e. getting the kids in the car).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

If you find time to take a picture of the results and post it I would greatly appreciate it!! This is something I would considering doing to mine seeing how I have the Elgin in basically the same color.

6. PhiPsi32

Yes, photos would be most welcome.

7. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Maybe. But the Walnut Strand is a nicer shoe to have than the "casual offerings". It is a shoe you will be more proud of. And It can be worn with jeans, so why not buy the Strands when that clearly is a great, high quality choice?

8. PhiPsi32

Here's a nice casual shoe

[​IMG]

9. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

I heard you might want to go down a shade (aka go lighter) than the Walnut polish from AE (unless you want a darker polish). Somebody told me the Walnut was a little bit darker than the Walnut Strand..? i'm going to the AE store tomorrow (i hope). If I do, I will chime in again.

Personally, I've been very impressed with Saphir Renovateur.

10. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

I agree. I have the blue Neumoks, but I must say the Strand is a very impressive shoe that is absolutely worth having.

11. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I ended up ordering the walnut strands. The idea of jeans/chinos with strands has been so mixed that I figure it's probably ok to do if half the strand owners wear it.

Maybe I'll reconsider the elgin and mctavish down the road. For now, I await the strands.

12. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

13. PhiPsi32

^^^ Nice, but it sucks that they are only in "D" widths . . .

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

There is no disagreement that the walnut strand is a nice shoe. After all, I have it. I also have the strand in dark brown shell. And I personally don't care for either casual shoe the gentleman mentioned in his original post (elgin and mctavish), but I fully realize many on here like those models.

But if what the gentleman is after is a casual shoe (which was my understanding), the walnut strand, IMO, does not fit the bill. While some may wear it more casually than others (some wear it with jeans; I never would), I don't think that equates into categorizing the walnut strand as a "casual" shoe. Categorizing this shoe as a casual shoe would require a significant departure from traditional rules of fashion (we musn't forget that the shoe in question is a single leather soled captoe balmoral with no storm welt or split-reverse welt; in other words, it has the classic characteristics of a dress shoe, save for the lighter color that makes it somewhat less formal than some darker colors).

But if the gentleman wants a dress shoe that can be worn casually (apparently some wear it casually), then I suppose the walnut strand is a suitable option.

In the end, perhaps we may have to agree to disagree? That is okay .....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

As long as it's okay with you, there is nothing to worry about. Enjoy!!

16. PhiPsi32

17. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

I'm jealous you have the shell strands. I really want those, but I'm just building a collection and didn't want 2 strands (although maybe not such a bad idea on second thought)! I thought I'd go with the MacNeil or something similar.

I think we're in agreement here. I don't think the Strand solely categorizes as a casual, and I'm like you and think that it has the parts of a dress shoe and the color of a less formal shoe. I guess which is why I like it so much. It's a beautiful shoe :)

18. spitshine123

spitshine123 Well-Known Member

Do any of you have any suggestions for shoe stretchers? My feet have seemingly widened recently (maybe they are expanding with the summer heat?) And a little more space would be nice... I would feel bad bringing all my AEs to the store to get stretched

19. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Are you gaining weight? I lost weight and went down in shoe size

20. SJTM

SJTM Active Member

Manistee has brogueing which can make it seem a little too match with the Strands, but I wear it with khakis and navy blazer and it works quite well for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.