1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoooh

appoooh Senior member

You might want to try using straight bar lacing on the Strands (without the laces crossing underneath). I almost sent my 9Ds back, but fearing my heels would slip in the 9Es I tried straight bar lacing and the shoes have gone from feeling too tight to merely "fitted".

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

It is very strange that you are a half size smaller in the Strand. Your Strands may be too small, or your McTavishes too big. Both shoes are built on the same last, but the McTavish, being made out of a tougher leather, does not fit as tightly around the last, and therefore runs a bit big.

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

well the short cap toe on the PAs makes them look funny.

That said, I'm pretty much disappointed whenever I wear black shoes (have cheaney captoe oxfords and alfred sargent premier loafers). They are just uninteresting and generic. Unless its an outfit that without a doubt requires black shoes, I tend to regret it. maybe thats why I have 2 pairs of black shoes and 25+ Brown or burgundy.

1 person likes this.
  4. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Macneil in brown...that would be an ideal what gives why only walnut and black...and still no brown in shell offerings?

5. runn

runn Member

Bought a pair the Walnut Strands and am looking for a reasonably priced belt to got with them. I'd be wearing these with dress pants as well as jeans and ideally have one belt that would work for both. 1" seems too small (lgc dress belts generally this size) and 1.5" a bit big (ae belts).

I'm still looking at Leather Goods Connection as an option...will their "work belt" (1.25") be suitable and if so, would you go with tan or medium brown as best match for the Strands? I've bought a darker bridle belt from there and it is of high quality. Also, any other options? I've looked at J&M also and that might also work.

6. RossPirelli

RossPirelli Member

Nordstrom has the AE basic wide belt in Walnut for $62 and the Manistee Belt (Walnut) for $79. I would start there.

7. runn

runn Member

I like both of those but would they look too wide with dress pants?

8. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had this experience of changing lacing instead of increasing width for better fitting/less heel slippage? 9.5D strand that I tried were a bit tight on the instep (typical shoe shop lacing), but good heel and length wise. The 9.5E that I got were a bit loose on the heel (doesn't come out, but can feel a bit of wiggling), slightly tight on instep using criss-crossing, but fitted when using bar lacing.

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

11. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  12. SJTM

SJTM Active Member

I purchased the Manistee in walnut a couple of weeks ago from the Shoebank for, I beleive, $38.

13. seer

seer Senior member

Just picked up my first pair of McTavishes at Nordstrom. I usually wear a 10E, but the E was way to loose in the heel - the 10Ds were just a bit tight in the instep - I took the 10D. Right choice?

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The European Straight Lace is also a nice option. Easier to cinch up than the traditional bar lace.

15. thekosmicdesign

thekosmicdesign Active Member

I picked up my first pair of quality dress shoes last week. These are great!

[​IMG]

16. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

is there another way of doing this? I like the clean design but I am not sure what to do with the extra lace, especially with dress shoes.

17. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

18. runn

runn Member

I prob couldnt get a better deal than that...does the size look alright with dress pants?

19. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I like the MacNeils but they are clunky double-soled gunboats. They may not be your cup of tea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.