• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GHo

Reaction score
thanks Winston for the headsup. both look great actually. any other brown burnished that look nice?

hobscrk777

Reaction score
I've read that the "Sanderson" line of USA-made shoes sold by Ralph Lauren is made by Allen Edmonds.

Does anyone know what last these shoes are on?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any others I should consider?
Thanks.
:foo:

How about the Kenilworth blucher? New for this year, I picked up the brown.

Note, they didn't look like this out of the box :).

Pure liquid. Excellent work Patrick. Did you do a little dark blue creme, let dry, that follow with the KIWI wax? ir is this just KIWI wax, and if so, what colour did you use please?

natron20

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post.

I am in the process of upgrading my wardrobe and overall level of dress. I am trying my best to build a nice, versatile wardrobe. Unfortunately, I do not have much money so I am not able to buy the highest of quality items. HOWEVER, my parents said they would buy me a nice pair of shoes for Christmas so I am going to be getting a pair of AEs.

From all of you AE experts I could use some direction because this will be my first pair and probably my only pair for a long time I have to make sure I grab the right ones. My ideal shoe is one that can easily transition between casual and "dress". I am currently an RN who works in an operating room so these will not be for work. After much angst going back and forth I have narrowed my choices down to the Elgin or the Players shoe in snuff suede. Between those two which would you suggest for someone in my situation, not needed for work but can easily work casually or as a dress shoe.

As a side note, I have VERY wide feet. I have a pair of Florsheim's that are 10.5 EEE and they fit really well but still probably a tab too narrow. Anyway, would either the Elgin or Players Shoe look better or worse on a fat foot?

And I apologize, but I have yet another question. Because these shoes will be for Christmas I will not be able to get my hands on them for a while. If for some reason whichever shoe I choose does not work how easy would it be to exchange them 3 months after purchasing? What kind of customer service can I expect from AE?

Thank you all so much for your time. Sorry for crashing this thread but I figured anyone as serious about AEs as most in this thread are who else better to solicit advice. Thanks again!

the_drizzle

Reaction score

I am in the process of upgrading my wardrobe and overall level of dress. I am trying my best to build a nice, versatile wardrobe. Unfortunately, I do not have much money so I am not able to buy the highest of quality items. HOWEVER, my parents said they would buy me a nice pair of shoes for Christmas so I am going to be getting a pair of AEs.

From all of you AE experts I could use some direction because this will be my first pair and probably my only pair for a long time I have to make sure I grab the right ones. My ideal shoe is one that can easily transition between casual and "dress". I am currently an RN who works in an operating room so these will not be for work. After much angst going back and forth I have narrowed my choices down to the Elgin or the Players shoe in snuff suede. Between those two which would you suggest for someone in my situation, not needed for work but can easily work casually or as a dress shoe.

As a side note, I have VERY wide feet. I have a pair of Florsheim's that are 10.5 EEE and they fit really well but still probably a tab too narrow. Anyway, would either the Elgin or Players Shoe look better or worse on a fat foot?

And I apologize, but I have yet another question. Because these shoes will be for Christmas I will not be able to get my hands on them for a while. If for some reason whichever shoe I choose does not work how easy would it be to exchange them 3 months after purchasing? What kind of customer service can I expect from AE?

Thank you all so much for your time. Sorry for crashing this thread but I figured anyone as serious about AEs as most in this thread are who else better to solicit advice. Thanks again!
I like the Player's shoe better than Elgin. They took down the chocolate suede option from the website, but I think it looks better than snuff (chocolate has a darker, richer color to it). I was able to get a pair last week, but it didn't seem like they had many left at the store.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pure liquid. Excellent work Patrick. Did you do a little dark blue creme, let dry, that follow with the KIWI wax? ir is this just KIWI wax, and if so, what colour did you use please?

I believe he said 3 layers of AE brown wax + 3 layers plain ole brown Kiwi wax. Amazing work...

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear a 10.5 EEE in Allen Edmonds, so I'll give you my 2 cents. My favorite shoes in my size are Strands in walnut, but maybe a bit too dandy for all situations. The Kenilworth looks great with the burnished toe, and will easily do casual and dressy. I would suggest the Park Avenue, but it is a more conservative shoe best used for dress. In the end, any AE shoe you pick will be a great one. I have 5 pair so far, and I just discovered AE less than a year ago.

Samir

Reaction score
In an attempt to build up a nice collection of shoes, I picked up a pair of black Park Avenues during Nordstrom's anniversary sale. I know black is pretty boring, but I figured it was at least pretty classic. Now, I'm looking for some brown shoes with a little more flexibility.

I don't have the best understanding of what shoes carry certain levels of formality, but how informal can dark brown bluchers be? Okay with even something like khakis? For whatever reason, I like plain stuff best - brogueing, etc. just doesn't suit me.

Just browsing the website, some specific models that seemed nice were the Kenilworth (especially) and the Leeds. I understand that lasts will matter but in terms of general styles, what range of attire could such shoes work with?

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score

In an attempt to build up a nice collection of shoes, I picked up a pair of black Park Avenues during Nordstrom's anniversary sale. I know black is pretty boring, but I figured it was at least pretty classic. Now, I'm looking for some brown shoes with a little more flexibility.

I don't have the best understanding of what shoes carry certain levels of formality, but how informal can dark brown bluchers be? Okay with even something like khakis? For whatever reason, I like plain stuff best - brogueing, etc. just doesn't suit me.

Just browsing the website, some specific models that seemed nice were the Kenilworth (especially) and the Leeds. I understand that lasts will matter but in terms of general styles, what range of attire could such shoes work with?
Both would be pretty versatile shoes, I would think, especially if you're getting them in browns; khakis or jeans certainly shouldn't be a problem. And it's technically supposed to be against the rules; but I personally wouldn't have any problems wearing them with suits, or at least not the Kenilworth. The Leeds seem to be a little too "not sleek" enough for my tastes. Kenilworth Leeds

Samir

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, I think the Kenilworth looks better (especially polished up like a previous poster has shown - beautiful!) and the 5 last seems to fit me well. Just out of curiosity, what 'rule' would be broken when wearing them with suits - should suits be worn with balmorals only?

swiego

Reaction score
I just picked up my Cambridge shell cordovans in burgundy! Very excited to give them a shot...

Suggestions on good AE belts to match? The prices seemed high and the quality was uncertain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads