1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Why is Allen Edmonds branching out into things like watches? It just frustrates me to see a shoe company have watches on the front page of their website.

2. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

Ok perfect! Thanks

3. facet

facet Senior member

Didn't take any pics; but came across a couple pair at the Nordstrom Rack in Newport in chili. It was a really great looking shoe and wouldn't hesitate to wear it if I had one in possession. The ones I saw were for $220.

As an aside, stumbled across a pair of Hales in black as well while I was there. Beautiful shoe and really comfortable fit when I tried it on. I was so tempted to buy them right then and there but I have to have some self discipline.

4. madeinitaly

madeinitaly Active Member

A shoemaker company must do only shoes.
    watches are an other world.
    For which reason a man could decide to buy that watch?

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I think I posted a pic of my Chili Fairfaxes a while back, let me look.

6. BackInTheJox

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

For both my shell walnut shoe and boot I use Saphir Reno sparingly and not very often, Saphir Cognac wax #10 for scuffs and scrapes, it is almost a perfect match and will not darken the color. Once in a great while I will apply a very thin coat on the complete shoe but I use it only when needed. Saphir Cordovan cream polish in neutral, again only sparingly. A horse hair brush and nylon stocking is what I use most of the time. I also agree about staying away from the Meltonian shoe cream for shell.

8. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I'll have to take a look, but I am pretty against fashion watches in general. I did notice quite a lot of non shoe items in their 6th ave store, but not enough to be distracting. There were actually a couple ties that I was really interested in. Anyone know who makes their ties??

-J

edit: looked at the watches - it isn't as bad as i thought. they're not "Allen Edmonds" branded watches. Perhaps they own Luminox? Maybe they have some kind of deal making their leather straps? Crap - now i'm thinking about looking for Allen Edmonds watch straps for some of my classier pieces!!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

E is branching out to other product lines presumably because they see profit in it. They can only raise the price of their shoes so much before customers leave for other brands.

10. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I'm confused about all the different kinds of "seconds" (and on down the line) sole marks on Allen Edmonds. What do these two little round marks mean? I've heard of the soles being drilled through if the shoe is too bad even to sell as a second, is that what I'm looking at?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BackInTheJox

Good question . . . I've seen these marks on shoes on ebay all the time (and even own two pairs). The two I bought from ebay (Delrays and McAllisters) are in otherwise very good shape. They were "used" so any imperfections I may have just chalked up to normal wear and tear (although both were seemingly very lightly used at the time I purchased them). I do notice that on the Delrays, the right medial forefoot leather where it meets the leather of the outsole is a bit off (as you follow the contour where the upper leather meets the outsole stitching, rather than being 100% smooth contour, there's one small area where it looks like it was stitched slightly off line and the leather "bows" out just every so slightly). Hard to describe, and nothing that really detracts from the aesthetics of the shoe, but perhaps why it was marked as a second (or third or whatever).

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Regardless of the reason for the holes, I would never buy a pair of shoes (seconds or otherwise) that have holes drilled in the sole. In my experience, seconds frequently have a little stamp on the sole. I also once received a pair with a tiny hole punched in the upper, but I was not sure whether that was to mark them as seconds or the reason they were seconds.

13. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I have had a pair with the W branded on them (whatever exactly that means) and had no problems with them. I tend to agree, if the holes are truly holes, I'm leaning against getting them.

BackInTheJox, how deep do they go? Is it a surface thing, or are we in danger of getting into the mid?

14. DaveB

DaveB Senior member

Looking to buy a couple pairs of Allen Edmonds before I start work from the outlets. After e-mailing the different outlets I think I'm going to buy a pair of dark brown park avenues. Prices are 199/259/299 for Brooks Brothers/Calf/Cordovan respectively. Are the Brooks Brothers a lot worse quality than the regular Allen Edmonds? Is the cordovan worth the extra 40/100 bucks?

Any suggestion for the second pair of shoes? I was thinking about walnut strands but I think the strands have a little to much going on for me, prefer shoes without the medallion at the front.

Thanks!

15. otc

otc Senior member

Those aren't holes..they are just some sort of mark that doesn't go very deep (and is on a part of the sole that never touches the ground)

I have seen them on pairs being sold at Nordstrom Rack...I assume they mean something different than the W but I don't know for sure.

16. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Just my opinion, but I think shell is a bit clunky of a material for the PA, which is trying to look sleek. You can probably get away with it in brown or burg better than in black (do they do brown shell PA?). I say this as a shell lover. I just don't think the PA is the best place to display horse hide.

I know nothing about the Brooks question though.

17. BackInTheJox

The holes in mine are very superficial.

18. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Had I began my collection with shell, anything in the future in calf would probably have been found wanting. I strongly suggest viewing shell shoes in person if possible before making your decision.

19. BackInTheJox

From what I understand, the BB ones are nearly identical (same quality leather, etc) but have an extra padded insole of some sort, and a topy on the forefoot for better durability.

Also, had a quick question. I tend to be sort of "between" a 9EEE and a 9.5E on the 5 last. I think the 9EEE tends to fit a little bit better, if I had to choose. I'm planning on getting a pair of Walnut strands; however, I understand they are sort of meant to be a "sleek" streamlined shoe. I'm a little hesitant to go for the extra wide EEE width, which I feel might detract from the shoe's overall aesthetics (vs. a slightly longer but less wide shoe). Is this a stupid thing to worry about? Does anyone have any good input, or better yet some pictures of Strands in EEE width?

20. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Starting to feel like this is the way to go, especially since my recrafting gift card will expire soon. So, I'm looking at the Dalton, Bayfield, _and_ the Malvern in my closet. I think I will need to find some Fifth Streets on sale to round out the AE boot collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.