1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madeinitaly

madeinitaly Active Member

@DIMA

mee too all 8 uk ( tricker's 8, C&J 8, church's 8)
    AE 8,5
    alden 8,5
    usa made shoes + 0.5 always.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Just the Elgin's at $179. They are being discontinued on the AE site and if you are a 11.5\12\13 you can get them at $219 for firsts from AE. These are seconds and firsts are still available from Brooks Brothers at ~$300. Amazon has them listed as in stock and some sizes are on sale (not mine however). I normally get firsts on sale or discounted through the Military Exchange but have purchased four pair of seconds and usually can not find any defects. If there are any it doesn't cost anything to send them back and try another pair. I did hear back from the Shoebank this afternoon (Nathan) and recall him cross shipping a replacement pair to me during the 2 for $200 sale and he never billed my credit card, trusting me to return the pair I wasn't happy with (which I did right away). That is pretty good customer service.

3. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Thanks for the info.

Those shoebank guys are pretty awesome. I had a similar experience where they shipped out a pair of shoes to me for exchange before I even shipped the initial one back.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Thanks, looks like I have just dramatically decreased my shoe choices if I truly need an 11EE instead of my old 12D.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Eh, there really isn't that much difference between a 11EE and a 11.5E. Try it on and see if you like it.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The 5 last is considered AE's longest last. For the people I know, it is very common for men to take a smaller size in the 5 last. However, that smaller size is usually just 1/2 size down (but same width). Had that been the case for you, you would have went to an 8D. However, conventional wisdom is that a 7.5E will fit very similar to an 8D.

7. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

What about an 8.5D and an 8E?
    Many more choices with a D width!

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

You would have to try it on and make sure you like it.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Otherwise, the two sizes are very close to each other.

10. charliebrown2

I seem to always have a bit of extra room in the toe box (in terms of length) while the rest of the foot fits very nicely with minimal heel slippage when walking. How important is room in the toe box area?

Or is this a case of "1/2 size down, 1 size out"? Thanks.

11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

From what I can gather, rough collection leathers are full grain cow hide, either in an un-dyed vegetable tanned finish or waxed. The key difference is cow vs. calf - the leather is thicker and rougher, but that doesn't mean it will wear out any faster, if anything I'd expect it to last longer than the more delicate calf.

Do you trip over the toe? Does the shoe bend in an uncomfortable spot on your foot? If the answer to both of these is no, and the shoe fits comfortably in the other particulars, then they are not too long IMO.

12. charliebrown2

Kind, sir. You've made my day. Hope you have a nice one yourself.

13. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I've been buying 11D for most of my life (had no complaints). Even have a pair of Cliftons in 11D that fit fairly well. (might be a tad loose) Stopped in the 6th ave store in Manhattan friday and was measured at a 12B! MIND BLOWN. She actually had me first at a 13B - Said my arch measured 13 and my toe length was 12. . .or vice versa. Either way, I trust her but in the back of my mind i'm skeptical. I'm not a big guy - 5'8", 160lbs. Size 12 sounds like a HUGE shoe for me. The proof is in the fit, though, because the Park Aves and Strands I tried on actually FELT smaller than the same shoes in 11C. Armed with that knowledge, I went right to ebay and found a really decent shape of black Park Avenues, forgot to bid, and watched as some other lucky bastard won them for $25!

I know both the strand and park avenue are included in the Nordstroms sale, but i'm hoping they're signifigantly cheaper as seconds. I'm the type of guy who cries at the first scratch and would be much more comfortable wearing shoes that are already broken in! If anyone has a pair of walnut strands or black park aves in 12B that you're looking to unload - you know who to PM!

As a side note - Anyone have a suggestion to a specific insert i could buy to make the 11D Cliftons I already have feel a little less wide?

-James

14. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

. . .and I just have to add that I emailed the shoe bank tonight and got a response 21 minutes later. How's that for service!!??

-James

15. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

anyone know of what shell cordovan cream, or recommendations for my walnut shell strands that would be good for keeping the lighter color. AE has a cream but I believe the option available will darken the walnut color. Would meltonian shoe cream be an ok cream to use?

Thanks

16. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/saphir-cordovan-shoe-polish.html

Maybe in neutral

17. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

A few things you could use, all of which will serve you well, and all of which are designed for, or compatible with, shell cordovan:

1. Alden tan paste wax
    2. Saphir neutral shell cordovan cream
    3. Saphir reno
    4. Venetian Shoe Cream

I personally would stay away from Meltonian shoe cream. Nothing wrong with that product, just save it for calf.

18. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Here are my notes taken during a fitting session at my outlet with the neumora and the rutledge.

For reference, I am a 9.5 C on brannock device and it seems to be my perfect size in 5 last shoes. I also fit a 9D in 5 last. I have many of both sizes in 5 last. I have a low volume foot with a small instep.

In the Neumora, I didn't find a great fit, but didn't have access to every option.

9D fit a bit big. 8.5 D fit a bit tight, but was passable. I'd like to try a 9C, but they don't make the Rutledge in that size. Not sure about the neumora.

1 person likes this.
  19. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

"C" widths don't seem to be very common.

20. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Any pics in the wild of the Fairfax or the weybridge? Interested in picking up my first pair of whole cuts, but I've never seen them in real life before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.